Piath? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Piath?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
She did not set up as close to the basket last season and just turn and shoot. She moved without the ball more and seemed more comfortable than last season. She has a long way to go but I believe she has the desire and potential to improve enough to help the team before she graduates. She will get used to her body and become a useful player for UConn.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
We all were happy to see Piath getting some minutes here and there. She has a lot of potential. Her upside is huge. As for next year, a lot just depends on how badly she wants to play and how all of the roster moves develop over the next 6-7 months. Definitely would love to see her become a major player over her remaining time at UConn.
If Dorca decides to leave for the WNBA, for some reason I believe a talented big will want to transfer to UConn during the off season.

Reaction Score
Piath is not bad down low she makes more bunnies than she misses decent free throw shooter on offense I feel she has gotten better , still kinda weak on the boards for her size imo .. now defense seems lost at times but that she can develop with time with more playing time hopefully

Reaction Score
Reading these comments makes me think that some of you believe that Piath will not improve at all over the Summer. She did improve some from last season and I believe will continue to improve. DeBerry will be a factor, but the two new recruits have to first learn the UConn system before they make any kind of positive impact, imo.
I agree. Remember that part of the reason she didn't improve much from last year was due to her surgery, which kept her from summer workouts. She may be much improved with a full summer of skill work.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Geno had said that Piath is a work in progress and she had to learn many of the fundamentals for a center when she first came to UConn. She will have another summer of work so she should be better next year.

Reaction Score
Amari reminds me a bit of Azura Stevens. Both are long with slight frames & finesse-oriented. Both have feathery shots with range yet shy away from physicality in paint. Just as Azura got stronger & learned to play in the low post over time, so will Amari. But both ultimately are differentiated by their range & touch-- not brute strength/force.

Reaction Score
It often takes a long time- to senior year, for centers, even those highly regarded, to develop in the UConn system. e.g. Ono and Tina.

Plaith is very determined. Over last summer she completely changed herself physically. She go to practices early and this year she has developed a very clean catch and shoot move on the right side.

I think she will gain some more muscle, block shots, and make an occasional lay-up as a senior.
Liv has gotten a little better each year. If that's your point, then I agree with you, but I expect every player to get a little better every year especially playing for a top coach. Tina came to UConn with a shoulder problem which got better later in her UConn career. Who knows how good Tina would have been as a freshman if perfectly healthy?

Piath appears to be on a slower road than the one Liv traveled. I do hope she makes a leap next year. She might have to if Dorka leaves.

Reaction Score
Piath is a project but a has a nice up-side. You can't have enough 6' 5" players. She has developed a strong inside game with excellent posting and quick releases. She jumps well and eagerly chases down rebounds. In the last game she recovered a ball going out of bounds to a teammate. Piath runs the floor very well and quickly establishes her position. She is somewhat one dimensional now but to her credit she has grown that roll well, is a good student, is eager, decent hands and has a strong motor. Go Piath, you are a fan favorite.

Reaction Score
Some things I noticed about Piath
1. When her and Amari switched and Piath went high she was very fluent in the offense and appears to catch and pass and screen well. That is a plus because we all know Geno hates went players don't know where or what to do.
2. She does work well and establish position on the right block down low.
3. Havn't seen a left hand yet from her yet, maybe this summer she can work on that.
4. She does run the court well. I can see her getting some minutes in non mop up time next year.
5. 6' 5" is a good place to start and with a good work attitude and some other good bigs to compete with should make her better

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Some things I noticed about Piath
1. When her and Amari switched and Piath went high she was very fluent in the offense and appears to catch and pass and screen well. That is a plus because we all know Geno hates went players don't know where or what to do.
2. She does work well and establish position on the right block down low.
3. Havn't seen a left hand yet from her yet, maybe this summer she can work on that.
4. She does run the court well. I can see her getting some minutes in non mop up time next year.
5. 6' 5" is a good place to start and with a good work attitude and some other good bigs to compete with should make her better
6'5" is a great place to start especially if you are talking about being a post player, but the more important word in that statement is the word "start". If I recall correctly Piath did not start playing basketball until she was 15. That's only ~ 5 years ago the last two of which have been at UCONN. To put that in perspective by the age when just about every other UCONN player had already established themselves as one of the best players for their age in the world, Piath was just getting introduced to the game of basketball.

Reaction Score
Really not seeing Dorka returning....she has quickly learned and gained confidence in playing UConn WBB and, in a short time, has showed what she can do to Pro Scouts. Though she would like to play in the WNBA, I am sure European clubs have noticed. She does need to get a bit stronger, so there's hope for the hopers for her return.

Regardless, Ayanna will back up Aaliyah....and she is probably more athletic. That position is going to be very solid: starter and backup. I can even see a "small" ball lineup with the two of them in the front court at the same time, though more than likely, it will be Caroline with Aaliyah in small ball lineups.

If Dorka returns, she starts. But the pecking order doesn't change if she does not., which will see Amari is likely to start and Piath rotate with her at the beginning of the year. But there is every likelihood that Isuneh Brady will see significant minutes by mid-season and could even challenge for starting come tournament time. He physical attributes will help: she will hold her ground in the post - Amari and Piath are easier to move, unless they get stronger.

I am not as concerned about Amari as some have expressed here: her best attribute so far is her play at the high post and versatility in the offense, though seldom seen. Piath, on the other hand, is strictly a low-post player right now....nimble but still training her feet how to move around there. Both will be OK and contribute.

For now, the strengths of this team next year are guards and wings......if the post players learn to play defense well, that will most likely be enough to sustain success.

Reaction Score
I'm glad to see that she's had a chance to play some this year. She will be needed next year. I haven't been able to see any of the games that she has played in this year. Does she appear to be able to contribute significant minutes next season?
Negative. She is , we are told, "working hard." But she has bad hands and limited moves. She can muscle her way to a put back or lay up, but doesn't always convert and often fouls in the process. I have never seen her take a shot, and she appears uncomfortable with the ball. Decision making is not good. And she commits fouls just due to lack of court awareness. Defense is not noteworthy, either, though she has advantages of size and strength. In other words, in two years at UCONN she is not what I hoped to see. Her best asset is court sped, and her commitment to work hard. Everyone says it takes longer for "BIGs" to develop. She needs a summer miracle. Anything is possible. But without an exponential improvement, due to whatever she does this off season, she will not be contributing meaningful minutes next season. It is far more likely that DeBerry will. But none of us have given up hope.

Reaction Score
6'5" is a great place to start especially if you are talking about being a post player, but the more important word in that statement is the word "start". If I recall correctly Piath did not start playing basketball until she was 15. That's only ~ 5 years ago the last two of which have been at UCONN. To put that in perspective by the age when just about every other UCONN player had already established themselves as one of the best players for their age in the world, Piath was just getting introduced to the game of basketball.
If she only first held a basketball at age 15, it will be difficult for her to become a meaningful contributor in two years. Particularly, because she gets little opportunity to play the game. She needs a summer where she starts for some team and plays 30+ minutes per game. She has wonderful physical attributes to play in the low post. But, so far, she shows little instinct to use them well.

sun

Reaction Score
Piath has shown some good chemistry playing with DeBerry.
I think that there will be a few BE games next year where Geno will give Piath some extended minutes.
No matter who joins the team, the players will need to learn to play together when circumstances warrant.
If there's one lesson that was learned this year, it was for UConn to be prepared to weather the worst storms.
And with a full roster, there's no need for anyone to play 40 minutes against a team like Butler.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Did Piath receive a scholarship?
If so, Coach saw someone "he" thought was worth it.

I'll leave it at that.

Reaction Score
Did Piath receive a scholarship?
If so, Coach saw someone "he" thought was worth it.

I'll leave it at that.
I’m not sure where you’re going with this, and I don’t want to assume what your thoughts are. But while teaching my 1st grade Sunday school class, I remind the kids that every team is like a family, with different members. And every member contributes something. Some members bring big, bold, loud, shiny ideas to the table, while others bring smaller, quieter thoughts. Howecer, all ideas are welcomed, because they are all valuable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom