Photos & Observations from Courtside Yesterday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Photos & Observations from Courtside Yesterday

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The view from courtside at the UConn-Nova game was great. I took a few closeup photos of player huddles during timeouts and will try to get them out on this thread shortly. In the meantime, I have a few courtside observations:
  • The last UConn game I attended was the double-OT game vs NC ST. While this game didn’t make it to OT, (Thank God!) it was equally challenging for my blood pressure. :confused:
  • I’m sure the chatroom was blowing up yesterday. Let me be absolutely clear. Villanova is the real deal. Denise Dillon is a wonderful young HC who’s done a remarkable job in her 3rd season at her alma mater. The Wildcats are far more athletic than they were last year. They run their 5-out motion offense to perfection, and play tough man defense, swarming opponents in the paint.
  • Speaking of athleticism, yesterday was the first time since last season that I’ve seen UConn in person. I was amazed at the physical transformation of the players. Every single Husky that was on the roster last year and suited up yesterday is leaner, stronger and fitter, which is pretty much the only way UConn can compete against a talented Villanova team with 5 Huskies playing 194/200 minutes. Credit to Andrea Hudy who’s training program has really taken hold in her second season back in Storrs.
  • Another comment on athleticism. Villanova’s Christina Dalce can’t throw the ball in the ocean on offense, but OH MY GOD she is a freak of nature, all arms and legs with springs on her feet. She gave Aaliyah fits on defense, blocking 3 of her shots. After the 3rd block, there was a timeout, during which Jamelle took Aaliyah aside and spoke to her at length. From that point on, rather than trying to outjump Dalce, Aaliyah started bodying into her on offense, pinning Dalce’s feet to the floor. Aaliyah subsequently got to the FT line and also scored over Dalce. It was a reminder that nobody knows post play quite like Jamelle. ;)
  • UConn has 3 outstanding shooters on the shelf right now, leaving only Lou as a consistent outside shooting threat. If Lou has an off day, like yesterday, it puts tremendous pressure on the rest of the team to pick up the scoring, while opposing defenses pack it in to defend the paint. UConn desperately needs another healthy shooter or two to help spread the floor and open up the offense. UConn had a size advantage against Villanova yesterday. They won’t have that advantage against SC next week.
  • I don’t know what the attendance was yesterday, but a significant number of fans were young, female basketball players. After the game, many mobbed the area near the UConn bench yelling out to Paige and Nika, both of whom are rock stars to these girls. To their credit, they both spent a lot of time with their young fans after the game, signing autographs, taking selfies and being all-around great role models. On the way back home, my wife and I ran into a busload of HS girls basketball players from Webster, NY at a rest stop on the Mass Pike. They made the long journey to watch UConn and they were absolutely thrilled with the experience.
  • A shout out to Aubrey, who not only was the most remarkable athlete on the court yesterday, but also permanently endeared herself to my wife, who attended Ossining HS long before Aubrey was born. After the game, when UConn players throw little UConn basketballs into the stands, Aubrey was about 30 ft away with a supply of basketballs. I caught Aubrey’s eye and she dropped a perfect dime on me, about shoulder height. To my relief, I didn’t embarrass myself, managing to hold onto the ball, which I promptly handed to the missus. :)
  • Finally, we have all seen the walking wounded on camera. But yesterday at courtside during warmups, and throughout the game, I couldn’t help looking at Paige with her hands in her pockets, Azzi propped up on her Husky crutches, Ice moving slowly and carefully on her bad knee and Caroline standing silent and still. It breaks my heart to know how badly these kids want to be back on the court with their teammates. I continue to hope they will all be back soon, completely healthy, playing the game they love again at the highest level.
Thank you OD. This is the detailed courtside report I and many others hoped you would post. Glad you and the Mrs. enjoyed the game. UConn winning the game certainly made the ride back home more enjoyable. You should attend more games. Your postgame report and pictures are great.

It’s amazing the things you can see “in person” courtside that you can’t watching on TV. It was reported that over 14,000 fans were in attendance, all of whom got their money’s worth. No doubt everyone left the arena with a greater appreciation and regard for both teams.

You’re right about the chatroom. At times there was some table pounding, hair pulling and some gnashing of teeth, especially when Villanova took the lead. If you have the right attitude and perspective, you can be in the chatroom and not lose your focus (or your mind). At times the chatroom can be almost as entertaining as the game. But as you know, it’s not for everyone. I love it. Thanks again. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know this maybe off topic but what kind of camera and lens were you using?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The view from courtside at the UConn-Nova game was great. I took a few closeup photos of player huddles during timeouts and will try to get them out on this thread shortly. In the meantime, I have a few courtside observations:
  • The last UConn game I attended was the double-OT game vs NC ST. While this game didn’t make it to OT, (Thank God!) it was equally challenging for my blood pressure. :confused:
  • I’m sure the chatroom was blowing up yesterday. Let me be absolutely clear. Villanova is the real deal. Denise Dillon is a wonderful young HC who’s done a remarkable job in her 3rd season at her alma mater. The Wildcats are far more athletic than they were last year. They run their 5-out motion offense to perfection, and play tough man defense, swarming opponents in the paint.
  • Speaking of athleticism, yesterday was the first time since last season that I’ve seen UConn in person. I was amazed at the physical transformation of the players. Every single Husky that was on the roster last year and suited up yesterday is leaner, stronger and fitter, which is pretty much the only way UConn can compete against a talented Villanova team with 5 Huskies playing 194/200 minutes. Credit to Andrea Hudy who’s training program has really taken hold in her second season back in Storrs.
  • Another comment on athleticism. Villanova’s Christina Dalce can’t throw the ball in the ocean on offense, but OH MY GOD she is a freak of nature, all arms and legs with springs on her feet. She gave Aaliyah fits on defense, blocking 3 of her shots. After the 3rd block, there was a timeout, during which Jamelle took Aaliyah aside and spoke to her at length. From that point on, rather than trying to outjump Dalce, Aaliyah started bodying into her on offense, pinning Dalce’s feet to the floor. Aaliyah subsequently got to the FT line and also scored over Dalce. It was a reminder that nobody knows post play quite like Jamelle. ;)
  • UConn has 3 outstanding shooters on the shelf right now, leaving only Lou as a consistent outside shooting threat. If Lou has an off day, like yesterday, it puts tremendous pressure on the rest of the team to pick up the scoring, while opposing defenses pack it in to defend the paint. UConn desperately needs another healthy shooter or two to help spread the floor and open up the offense. UConn had a size advantage against Villanova yesterday. They won’t have that advantage against SC next week.
  • I don’t know what the attendance was yesterday, but a significant number of fans were young, female basketball players. After the game, many mobbed the area near the UConn bench yelling out to Paige and Nika, both of whom are rock stars to these girls. To their credit, they both spent a lot of time with their young fans after the game, signing autographs, taking selfies and being all-around great role models. On the way back home, my wife and I ran into a busload of HS girls basketball players from Webster, NY at a rest stop on the Mass Pike. They made the long journey to watch UConn and they were absolutely thrilled with the experience.
  • A shout out to Aubrey, who not only was the most remarkable athlete on the court yesterday, but also permanently endeared herself to my wife, who attended Ossining HS long before Aubrey was born. After the game, when UConn players throw little UConn basketballs into the stands, Aubrey was about 30 ft away with a supply of basketballs. I caught Aubrey’s eye and she dropped a perfect dime on me, about shoulder height. To my relief, I didn’t embarrass myself, managing to hold onto the ball, which I promptly handed to the missus. :)
  • Finally, we have all seen the walking wounded on camera. But yesterday at courtside during warmups, and throughout the game, I couldn’t help looking at Paige with her hands in her pockets, Azzi propped up on her Husky crutches, Ice moving slowly and carefully on her bad knee and Caroline standing silent and still. It breaks my heart to know how badly these kids want to be back on the court with their teammates. I continue to hope they will all be back soon, completely healthy, playing the game they love again at the highest level.
Thanks! This was a nice write up with some great insights. I loved the anecdote about Jamelle and Aaliyah.

I think sometimes we forget how big UConn women’s basketball is. I’ve gone to see the women play in New Jersey with AAU teams in the past, and I can’t tell you how frequently I’ve heard coaches yell out “Connecticut” for particular sets in AAU tournaments (usually motion, but sometimes iso). A few years ago, a friend of mine who is coaching a team in New Jersey, took them up to Storrs to see the girls play. He struggled to find the words about the extent of the impression it made on his players (and the parents who attended). I remember taking my daughter up to see a game at Gampel when she was young and just starting to play. It made a huge impression on her. Seeing female athletes playing at a very high-level in front of thousands of rabid fans is empowering for young players

I liked this picture:
1675092852051.jpeg

Nika looks absolutely gassed and you see Dorka with her hands on her hips, a sign of fatigue. It is amazing to me that the girls went through as tough as stretch of basketball as they’ve had over the past 10 days or so with a team that is as depleted as ours is. It is very impressive.

Reaction Score
You need to be at more games! I would vote for you to be in the broadcast both. Your narrative brings humanity into the sport. Thank you!

Carnac

Reaction Score
I was told that you can never pay too much for a dream. :)
If I’m ever lucky/fortunate enough to travel 3000 miles to see a game at Gampel/XL Center, I want to sit courtside. The price of those seats would be no problem. It would be an experience I’d remember the rest of my life. Fans that live in Connecticut or the general area can go to a UConn home game anytime, no big deal. When you live as far away as I do, it’s a long and very expensive road trip. You spare no expense, since you can’t take it with you.

Watching the game and seeing the players up close from courtside seats would be much different (and less enjoyable) than watching from seats on the top row of the upper tier. I’ve sat courtside at an Aces home game. It was an experience I’ll never forget.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
As time's slipping bye I'm realizing how fortunate I am.

Was at the Yum center when UConn last visited and watched my team get out played while being surrounded by Louisville fans. I think my presence raised the enjoyment and fun for all the folk's sitting around me. Thankfully we bumped Louisville out of the tournament that year.

Was at the Hinkle Fieldhouse this year with my daughter. My daughter and I are in the top right corner of the screen most every time the camera shows Allen Bestwick & Meghan Culmo. The year before I'm at home with covid and the other set of grandparents to my grandkids watched the game from my seats.

Last night I get a text from my granddaughter letting me know that her and her boyfriend have 3 tickets to the UConn game in Illinois on February 25th and would I want to go with them. . . :)

Yep. Getting to attend a game is a great experience.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Thank you, I'm not much for long post game threads or exaggerated pregame breakdowns, just not my cup of tea. However, your post and pics to me are amazing. The pics tell a story that tv coverage doesn't come close to capturing. Up close and personal on the sidelines in the timeouts, like we were there with you and the team. So glad you were able to enjoy and share your experience. My favorite series of posts this year. I hope you are able to enjoy another game up close and personal soon. Again, thanks for sharing. :)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I remember a few years back we would attend UConn games almost ever game and meet at halftime next to Dunkin Donuts in the XL Center and by section 219 in Gampel and exchange thoughts and gossip about recruits. In those days we had anywhere from 5 to 25 Boneyarders there. Great times. My first game I took my 3 daughters I think it was in 1995 and they were overwhelmed. It was such a great time.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Paid too much on the secondary market. ;)
I'm a little further back now, but a few years ago when my son worked for UConn health he became friends with a guy from IMG who gave him floor seats in a game with UCF. KLS, Pheesa, and Walker were a few feet away at times. Great experience. BTW, did you hear the very candid conversation between Geno and Nika at the end of the second period? They seemed to be going at each other very intensely. As always, UConn always screws up when they have the ball at the end of a period, and he wasn't happy.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
@oldude, a request?

What was it like standing for 12+ minutes waiting for UCONN to score at the beginning of the second half?

That was wicked good and I would have loved being there to experience that atmosphere.
Yeah, standing that long pretty much sucked. But UConn more than made up for keeping me standing for 12 minutes by overcoming a 6 pt 4th qtr deficit.

Reaction Score
Agreed, Andrea Hudy is doing a terrific job....
Part of that leaner, stronger, fitter is that all those minutes are taking its toll. I think big kudos need to go out to UConn Nutrition team

Carnac

Reaction Score
As time's slipping bye I'm realizing how fortunate I am.

Was at the Yum center when UConn last visited and watched my team get out played while being surrounded by Louisville fans. I think my presence raised the enjoyment and fun for all the folk's sitting around me. Thankfully we bumped Louisville out of the tournament that year.

Was at the Hinkle Fieldhouse this year with my daughter. My daughter and I are in the top right corner of the screen most every time the camera shows Allen Bestwick & Meghan Culmo. The year before I'm at home with covid and the other set of grandparents to my grandkids watched the game from my seats.

Last night I get a text from my granddaughter letting me know that her and her boyfriend have 3 tickets to the UConn game in Illinois on February 25th and would I want to go with them. . . :)

Yep. Getting to attend a game is a great experience.
The last UConn game I attended in person was in November 2017 when they visited UCLA at Pauley Pavilion. UConn won 78-60. I had great seats 17 rows from the floor, between the basket and the half court line. I completely enjoyed every second of being there. What impressed me the most was I was able to buy those tickets on-line AT FACE VALUE. :D I bumped into former UConn great Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis (KML) at a concourse snack bar during halftime.

The tickets I bought for their game at Stanford (Maples Pavilion) in Nov of 2014 were normally $15.00. They were marked up to $55, :mad: and were lousy seats located on the upper level in the corner, right in the middle of some crazy/radical/loud Cardinal fans all wearing RED. :confused:The attendance that night was 7333, 74% of arena capacity. It sure seemed like there were more folks there than that. Six years have passed, time to attend another game. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I remember a few years back we would attend UConn games almost ever game and meet at halftime next to Dunkin Donuts in the XL Center and by section 219 in Gampel and exchange thoughts and gossip about recruits. In those days we had anywhere from 5 to 25 Boneyarders there. Great times. My first game I took my 3 daughters I think it was in 1995 and they were overwhelmed. It was such a great time.
It's almost impossible to attend a UConn game and not become a fan. All those youngsters that attended the game became fans if they weren't already. UConn WBB has an uncanny attraction/allure........like a moth to a flame. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Does anyone know who the woman with the curly hair is? I see her chatting Azzi’s mom at the home games all the time. Just curious.
Don’t know. But when you go to a UConn WBB game at Storrs, XL, Bridgeport or the Mohegan Sun you are very likely to see many familiar faces that you’ve seen on tv dozens of times. As an example, my wife pointed out the woman with the Husky puppet across the court from us yesterday. I’ve seen her a hundred times on tv, and there she was in person.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom