photos for Kim | Page 2 | The Boneyard

photos for Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I told my wife early in this one that the refs were letting things get out of hand and I was worried someone would get injured. I wasn't counting on it being on a non-contact play.

I noticed the drag screen (as in dragging on Paige's arm) by Bickle and the two dirty plays (the windmill "block" attempt and the cross-body block) by Carrington on Paige, as they happened. I rewound each one, incredulous that the refs let them go.

Reaction Score
would someone please send all this to Michelle Voelpel and Kim Mulkey and ask them to comment. No wait, don't bother, they can't see what they don't want to see. But maybe send them to Andy Landers or Carolyn Peck as past coaches and ask them for an honest answer, on the air. Maybe apologize to the UConn players. Trying to say they were given a win that was actually well earned.
Carolyn Peck said that the refs were loose with the calls, that it was a physical game. She felt UConn deserved to win.

Reaction Score
Also, I mentioned the foul called on Aubrey that shoot have been on Didi when she was standing in the circle and Aubrey was called for charging. Didi should have been called for blocking. You can't draw a charge if your in the circle.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Posted this in the game thread

View attachment 66439
1617147217684.png

Frankly, I don't want to live in a world where biting the opposing player's butt is not a foul.

Reaction Score
Not to mention that on the replay, she was clearly hacked on the arm BEFORE the "charge"
That was a fake charge call. She was in circle. Is she was wearing Shaq’s kicks, her feet would have still be within the circle. I watched the SC/ Texas game and they called a block on a similar play. The defender was perplexed by the call because she was set. The referee pointed at the floor where the “defender’s feet” were clearly in the circle. Great call, ref!! Not so great call in the UCONN game.

Reaction Score
Also, I mentioned the foul called on Aubrey that shoot have been on Didi when she was standing in the circle and Aubrey was called for charging. Didi should have been called for blocking. You can't draw a charge if your in the circle.
should have been

Reaction Score
My two cents...in real time, it didn’t look like a foul and you can’t expect the refs to bail you out. And yes, the game was very loosely called. However, a few years back, one of our players got clotheslined by Notre Dame and there was no foul. I still remember the outrage on this board and that no one else seemed to care. A few days ago I was screaming at the TV because I thought Iowa State got robbed. Unfortunately, it’s just part of the game. I’m more irritated at the perceived outrage on the part of the media that feels like anti-Uconn bias than anything else. Why do the ESPN announcers only seem to point things out when it makes Uconn look bad? Can’t blame the Baylor players and fans for being upset. Uconn fans and players would be, too, if the situation were reversed. The funniest thing to me is that on the Notre Dame board, there is pretty universal outrage but on the Vols board, the commentary is more fair and balanced. Guess it depends on who you perceive your enemies to be at the time.

Reaction Score
More than once I remember screaming "How is that not a foul?" The first was when Liv was tripped from behind. Intentional or not that needed to be called. It's one thing to ignore hand checks - quite another when players end up on the floor.

Reaction Score
Basketball today... (a bit of a rant)

Over my lifetime we all have watched the game of basketball change in many ways. But, in the late 80’s to early 90’s (to me) - it went through a time of evolution I’m not very fond of. I lost a little bit of interest when (again, to me) something began to change for the worse. It began with the Boston Celtics and the Detroit Pistons... many called it Bill Lambeer or ‘bully ball’. Imo, the pistons knew they couldn’t beat the Celtics on just skill - so the great equalizer was introduced -> excessively physical play and intimidation. It really was a way of leveling a play field - when a team had less talent or skill. I mean comparing Larry Bird’s and Kevin McKale’s skills to that of and Ricky Mahorn and Bill Lambeer’s skills are laughable. Now, and again in imo, we are seeing that ugly technique of play creep into women’s college basketball. A bunch of 18-22 year old girls thrashing around on the court - at the direction of an older person. A coach, mentor or teacher of the game - supposedly. They are instructed - that effort (or whatever) will be measured in physicality of some sort. ‘Toughness’ - another term that may be distorted and misunderstood by an 18 year old. Ricky Moore exhibited a ‘toughness’ - without being a hack. (his footwork was what made him such a good defender) Show me a BU or SC player that exhibits that type of play (toughness). Basically - they all hack. I saw 2 girls use ‘vertical defense’ - as coached - on that play. I saw a girl, team and public complain - and they all have a platform to whine about it - to create some kind of ‘social angst’. Has this what society has become when you can’t create the desired outcome - due to lack of skill. From a basketball standpoint (my opinion) - this is why the ‘no call’ was correct - no matter what side I’m on. It was ‘vertical - no movement - no slapping defense’. The girls defended properly. They were well coached in that moment of the game. Props to Geno and staff.
Another ‘peanut gallery’ basketball observation is... a player that plays a lot and handles the ball a lot (especially toward the end of the game) should shoot free throws (a needed skill to play this game) at a higher % than 67%. (We’ve seen so many do this - it should be important). Mourning, Gordon, etc... So... there may be more to this than just ‘pressure’. Albert Mouring won many a game for UCONN with this skill.
I apologize for the rant - but this stuff (imo) ain’t good for our society. Again, I think Geno is aware of things similar - but he also knows well trained talent can still get it done - even with the evolution. Enter and CD... awesome shooters. Shooting well - can still overcome physical abuse. Another skilled 6’5” player with some skills and intelligence to address critical components of making a great team. Going forward... with Geno’s coaching and the pieces he is building... this could be another long stint of ‘UCONN is bad for wcbb’. Still the most telling statement I’ve heard from him is...”I’m going to put the best players I can get around her.” Uh.... yup.

Reaction Score
Carrington was the culprit in a lot of the bad actions in this game. She should go into acting. She is a very good flopper. She got all the calls all game long. She didn't get the big one. Karma or justice or it's our time. I don't care we are still playing and Kim and the foulers are home crying and whining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom