Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
BHlaqv1CMAA0Xp1.jpg:large

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In 5 yrs, how many games did she lose? 11?
Krazy.
The team lost 0, 0, 2, 5, and 4, for a total of 11. Caroline may have missed some of the losses.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I didnt realize that upperclassmen still lived in dorms.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
On campus apartments, actually.

Oh ok... that makes a bit more sense. The way some of you guys talked about how small Storrs is..... I was under the impression that all that was up there was dorms, the athletic and academic buildings, and a few cow pastures. ;)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Oh ok... that makes a bit more sense. The way some of you guys talked about how small Storrs is..... I was under the impression that all that was up there was dorms, the athletic and academic buildings, and a few cow pastures. ;)

They used to call it Store. Then some entrepreneur opened another, so it became Storrs.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
And actually Storrs is a figment.

Reaction Score
With the new Storrs Center development, it has improved slightly. Darn shame that development moved in *after* I graduated :confused:

Still, there's not a whole heck of a lot to do. Campus location wise (i.e. proximity to...life), UConn would've been better off where their Greater Hartford campus in West Hartford is, but considering UConn was founded in 1881, it would've taken a lot of foresight to know how the state would be laid out and and how important college athletics would be.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They used to call it Store. Then some entrepreneur opened another, so it became Storrs.
Lou Holtz loves that joke, though I'm not sure if it is original to him. See my sig for an alternative reason for the name.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Lou Holtz loves that joke, though I'm not sure if it is original to him. See my sig for an alternative reason for the name.

Beat me to it. BTW, the Dairy Bar is the one eternal truth in Storrs. Was great in the 17th :rolleyes: century when I attended and remains so. I lived in the Towers for 4 years in the mid-60s, the Dairy Bar blessedly was a very short walk.

Reaction Score

You more aptly describe a megalopolis than Storrs.

Reaction Score
Some of you people are JADED!!!! It is a beautiful campus and becoming moreso,even if it is in the Boonies. It is also in close Prox to NYC and Boston. Our 2 most successful coaches sold the campus to the greatest players in the US by telling them there was nothing in Storrs but great academics, a good social life, and winning championships. The Dairy Bar and the cows were also a factor!! Do you think the greatest player in the world today from Chino CA. had any misgivings about the looks of our campus? How about KO from West LA? I would be remiss if I left out PP. He is getting kids from the entire Eastern Seabord. Those kids are being given the same spiel. JUST WIN BABY, AND THEY WILL COME.Put this thread to rest.:)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Born and bred in Storrs and still have a home there. Actually went to grammar school through HS with a descendant of the original 'Storrs' (Charles and Augustus) who donated the original land for the agricultural school.
As for the town ... what town! It was a great place to grow up, but lacked just about everything. But located between Boston and NYC Uconn always attracted some of the best performers on their tours.
And us long term residents have mixed feelings with the new 'town center'. Nice to have the new businesses, but boy is it ugly! And we lost a few landmarks including the old dive 'The Campus Restaurant' which was where all us HS students went to skip classes, dodging the vice principal who tried to catch us running across the road!

T

TroyHouse66

<<...And we lost a few landmarks including the old dive 'The Campus Restaurant' which was where all us HS students went to skip classes, dodging the vice principal who tried to catch us running across the road!...>>

Oh, say it ain't so!
The Campi was the heart 'n soul of Storrs. I knew people who lived in the booths & at least one underfunded kid from the Math Dept who existed on the french fries other people left on plates until his Summer construction work started up. And.. if you were REALLY in... Henry or Eddie Wong invited you in for the closed Family party once a year, when they proved they could really cook!! And talked about how SOMEDAY they'd up a Chinese restaurant in Mansfield Ctr. "Two Wongs don't make a White" And if you hung at the Campi long enough you'd score a lift to Eagleville and get one of Allie John's CBGs (cheese burger grinders) that had enough food on it to carry you through a long weekend in the dorms...
Troy House, 4th floor

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
<<...And we lost a few landmarks including the old dive 'The Campus Restaurant' which was where all us HS students went to skip classes, dodging the vice principal who tried to catch us running across the road!...>>

Oh, say it ain't so!
The Campi was the heart 'n soul of Storrs. I knew people who lived in the booths & at least one underfunded kid from the Math Dept who existed on the french fries other people left on plates until his Summer construction work started up. And.. if you were REALLY in... Henry or Eddie Wong invited you in for the closed Family party once a year, when they proved they could really cook!! And talked about how SOMEDAY they'd up a Chinese restaurant in Mansfield Ctr. "Two Wongs don't make a White" And if you hung at the Campi long enough you'd score a lift to Eagleville and get one of Allie John's CBGs (cheese burger grinders) that had enough food on it to carry you through a long weekend in the dorms...
Troy House, 4th floor
We had a wake for 'The Campus' a few days before the wreaking ball took over with quite a number of Storrsites in attendance. There is supposed to be a facebook group for the campus though I have never looked for it. Loved those grinders.

Reaction Score
Oh, I see you never been to Storrs. The streets are paved in hardwood and there are basketball hoops every 10 feet. Students are given laptops and basketballs as part of enrollment and bounce the balls while going to class. We also win a lot of basketball championships.

Reaction Score
I like yours better. Is it original?

Reaction Score
I think the original wording was, "It use to be called Store, and then they got another."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom