Phoenix Mercury @ Seattle Storm - 8/28/18 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Phoenix Mercury @ Seattle Storm - 8/28/18

Reaction Score
Seattle forgets they have Stewie on their team, too often she's 20 feet from the basket setting screens for someone, when they should have her posting up. Stewie took 5 shots the last 15 minutes, and 1 was a desperation heave, when she was passed the ball with no time on the clock. Clark, Loyd, and Howard all were MIA on offense most of the night.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Shea Serrano article on the GOAT.

Even in Defeat, Diana Taurasi Is Magic

Nobody covering the WNBA (or any other league for that matter) writes like this.

DeWanna Bonner, inbounding the ball from the right sideline on the Mercury’s side of the court, lobbed it up to Brittney Griner, who had floated over toward the opposite corner. Griner plucked it out of the air, and before her feet even touched the ground she was already looking for Taurasi. Because she knew what everyone else on the court knew. And what everyone in the stands knew. And what everyone watching the game on TV knew. And what all of the birds and the bugs and the animals and the slugs and the plants and the dirt and the sun and the universe and the amoebas knew: that Taurasi was taking that shot.

The ball didn’t make a big noise or any sound at all, but watching the replays, if you open your heart enough, it sounded a lot in the air like how a jet sounds during a flyby. (My very favorite thing about watching the replay is Seattle’s Sue Bird. As soon as Griner gets the ball, Sue not only knows that it’s going to Taurasi, but also knows exactly where Taurasi wants to go to shoot it, which you can tell because Bird runs to meet Taurasi there before Taurasi even arrives, which is incredible.)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Seattle forgets they have Stewie on their team, too often she's 20 feet from the basket setting screens for someone, when they should have her posting up. Stewie took 5 shots the last 15 minutes, and 1 was a desperation heave, when she was passed the ball with no time on the clock. Clark, Loyd, and Howard all were MIA on offense most of the night.

They basically just stopped playing in last 5 minutes of regulation...Phoenix also went with Camille Little who did a heck of a defense job down the stretch. Also, it's very hard to post up on Phoenix if you have Griner in the paint. Griner was much more active on both ends last night and you saw her effect on Howard. Natasha missed some shots in the high post and also had shots altered inside by Griner which essentially negated her. The impact of Howard struggling meant she couldn't pull Griner away from the basket, so the paint isn't open.

Bird and Stewart carried Seattle, Loyd came through in the clutch and Canada was the boost off the bench. Starters cumulatively shot 38% from the floor and 5-17 from deep. Phoenix really needed that win because that likely doesn't happen again.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score

Nobody covering the WNBA (or any other league for that matter) writes like this.

DeWanna Bonner, inbounding the ball from the right sideline on the Mercury’s side of the court, lobbed it up to Brittney Griner, who had floated over toward the opposite corner. Griner plucked it out of the air, and before her feet even touched the ground she was already looking for Taurasi. Because she knew what everyone else on the court knew. And what everyone in the stands knew. And what everyone watching the game on TV knew. And what all of the birds and the bugs and the animals and the slugs and the plants and the dirt and the sun and the universe and the amoebas knew: that Taurasi was taking that shot.

The ball didn’t make a big noise or any sound at all, but watching the replays, if you open your heart enough, it sounded a lot in the air like how a jet sounds during a flyby. (My very favorite thing about watching the replay is Seattle’s Sue Bird. As soon as Griner gets the ball, Sue not only knows that it’s going to Taurasi, but also knows exactly where Taurasi wants to go to shoot it, which you can tell because Bird runs to meet Taurasi there before Taurasi even arrives, which is incredible.)
I highly highly highly recommend following Shea Serrano on Twitter if you're on there. A while ago, he wrote a great book called Basketball: And Other Things. He was called out by a female sportswriter because he didn't include any women's bball at all. Instead of getting defensive, he reflected on why that was. So he started reading up and following the Aces, because he's from San Antonio. He also follows Oregon, because he loves the way they play.

He's now a super avid fan and writes/tweets/talks about women's bball a lot. And the best part is that his thousands of followers are getting into it too - any time they tweet at him he encourages them to follow other writers who have been experts on WBB for a much longer time. He's happy to admit he's a latecomer to the game. But he's a great advocate for the high level of play and writes about the players a lot. He's written about EDD, Stewie and Taurasi on theringer.com (Bill Simmons website). He almost singlehandedly got Kayla McBride the fan vote to get into the All Star game.

He's good people.

Reaction Score
I highly highly highly recommend following Shea Serrano on Twitter if you're on there. A while ago, he wrote a great book called Basketball: And Other Things. He was called out by a female sportswriter because he didn't include any women's bball at all. He's good people.

He seems like a really classy guy.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I highly highly highly recommend following Shea Serrano on Twitter if you're on there. A while ago, he wrote a great book called Basketball: And Other Things. He was called out by a female sportswriter because he didn't include any women's bball at all. Instead of getting defensive, he reflected on why that was. So he started reading up and following the Aces, because he's from San Antonio. He also follows Oregon, because he loves the way they play.

He's now a super avid fan and writes/tweets/talks about women's bball a lot. And the best part is that his thousands of followers are getting into it too - any time they tweet at him he encourages them to follow other writers who have been experts on WBB for a much longer time. He's happy to admit he's a latecomer to the game. But he's a great advocate for the high level of play and writes about the players a lot. He's written about EDD, Stewie and Taurasi on theringer.com (Bill Simmons website). He almost singlehandedly got Kayla McBride the fan vote to get into the All Star game.

He's good people.

Thanks for this background. I'm hooked.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I can't believe I missed the game! Too many honey dos!#@$%! I wanted the series tied, but alas.... One thing does please me. Both games have been see saw battles with great endings, with, of course, major league performances by our Legends of the Game. I wonder where D took Sue after the game?
As noted, it was an instant classic.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

This reminds me of Geno's discussion with Diana when she first came to UConn. It went something like this. I'm too lazy tonight to look up the actual quote:

G: What number do you want?

D: 0

G: That's stupid. Pick a real number.

D: Ok, then. I'll wear #1.

G: That's stupid too. It's a team game; you don't want to wear that.

D: (Exasperated) Ok, what number do you think I should wear?

G: 3

D: (Confounded) 3? Why 3?

G: Babe Ruth wore #3. If you do what I say, you can be the Babe Ruth of Basketball.

I am not old enough to have seen Babe Ruth, but last night I thought I was watching Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Ty Cobb, and Ted Williams (whom I did see as a youth). That was definitely a Babe Ruth game from the GOAT.

I was fortunate to see the 2014 World Cup. Our team was loaded. I had tickets but couldn't get to Rio to see the 2016 Olympic team, but it was possibly the best team ever assembled. I'm going to Tenerife. I hope that Elena is healthy and able to play. This year's team could rival the 2016 team. Diana and Sue are every bit as good, and Stewie is a lot better. Throw in Maya, Tina, Brit, Sylvia, and a few others, and I really, really, really like our chances.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Good for him. A little passion from a Women's basketball sports fan. Not like the WNBA does not need it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom