Phil Steele Predicts UConn 6th in AAC East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Phil Steele Predicts UConn 6th in AAC East

Reaction Score
Pudge, I don't think Diaco had anything to do with the recruitment of Myers or Alex. Hopefully Rose turns out to be a good one and that would have been on Diaco's watch.

But not really though, he originally committed to Disco, then didn't arrive at Storrs. Who knows if he would have ended up here if Disco was still coach. I know he had other things going on outside of football but Disco being a lousy coach couldn't have helped either.

Reaction Score
Under Edsall I we had all these players that seemed to come out of the blue and turn into terrific athletes

Beaty, Reggie McLain, Sherman, Branch, Reyes, Lutrus, Finch, Lansanah, Easley..........I could go on and on......and these weren't just pretty good college players, most of these guys went on and played a lot of NFL football. Doesn't seem like we've had much of that at all lately.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Under Edsall I we had all these players that seemed to come out of the blue and turn into terrific athletes

Beaty, Reggie McLain, Sherman, Branch, Reyes, Lutrus, Finch, Lansanah, Easley.....I could go on and on.and these weren't just pretty good college players, most of these guys went on and played a lot of NFL football. Doesn't seem like we've had much of that at all lately.

Spitballin... but maybe everyone in the world could tell Diaco was a fraud except Warde, SuzieLax and a handful of people on the Boneyard?

I don’t know how many more FCS classes we needed to recruit before some people got the drift.

One time Edsall found a player in Canada so a sub-MAC class is cool.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You mean the FCS game that Sherrifs bailed them out of? I guess they may have come close to winning without changing quarterbacks.

Amend to FBS game!

We played Cincy last year. You probably went on a 3-day bender after Tarbutt’s XP hit the uprights.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Not good enough. Don't hire coach where give him 4 years to get to 6-6. Were 3-9 last year, with little good luck could have been 5-9. Per Massey pre season opponents are ranked:
12, 37, 43 47, 52, 61, 86, 91, 106, 108 122, 191. Not exactly killer schedule.

This team should have an at least median type offense which would be close to 30 points a game, if not then the coaching needs to be questioned. All this 3-3-5 learning from last year, better athletes, better training, better attitude needs to translate into better defense. Defensive game scheme last year was so ineffective that no amount of "lack of talent/new scheme" excuses could acceptably explain.

C&FHCRE needs to treat the 2018 season as a "must get to bowl game" season not a prelude to when he finally gets "his guys".

At his dream job he was 2-10, 4-8, 7-6, 7-6, 2-4; so got to bowl game in 3rd year in ACC, why accept anything less at his fall back job at G-5 AAC than a bowl game in year 3 (and fighting for one in year 2).

I dunno. I think it would’ve been pretty tough for last year’s team to have a 5-9 record.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We played Cincy last year. You probably went on a 3-day bender after Tarbutt’s XP hit the uprights.

LOL sorry for forgetting the collapse and the second game the cockiest player on the team lost.

I think there are 4 cars in a driveway in Mansfield. You better go check it out.

Reaction Score
Spitballin... but maybe everyone in the world could tell Diaco was a fraud except Warde, SuzieLax and a handful of people on the Boneyard?

I don’t know how many more FCS classes we needed to recruit before some people got the drift.

One time Edsall found a player in Canada so a sub-MAC class is cool.

Well, bad hires happen all the time. Unfortunately, we made two back-to-back with P and the Diaco. I give Benedict a lot of credit, because Edsall may have been the absolute best hire he could make in terms of affordability and proven ability to (re)build this program. Let's hope so.

"One time Edsall found a player in Canada so a sub-MAC class is cool."
I honest have no idea what you mean by this.

Reaction Score
Seems like a very reasonable prediction by Phil Steele. UConn has their work cutout for them. All they can do is just keep grinding. The games and tailgating are still fun. Just compete.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
LOL sorry for forgetting the collapse and the second game the cockiest player on the team lost.

I think there are 4 cars in a driveway in Mansfield. You better go check it out.

I don’t take orders from people who got fooled by Diaco and can’t be honest about it. Really, appealing to the masses? Nice try.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I don’t take orders from people who got fooled by Diaco and can’t be honest about it. Really, appealing to the masses? Nice try.

Don’t make me copy and paste your old diaco post

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

I can at least admit that I was suckered. Whaler can't, even though it's obvious he was.

He really had a terrible rationale for why he even said "Diaco will be here as long as he wants to" in the first place - appealing to the masses my rear end. You don't spend seven years proclaiming that you're the only Boneyard poster smart enough to tie their own shoes, then all of a sudden become so sensitive to other people that you do something as wacky as lying about your opinion of a football coach.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I can at least admit that I was suckered. Whaler can't, even though it's obvious he was.

He really had a terrible rationale for why he even said "Diaco will be here as long as he wants to" in the first place - appealing to the masses my rear end. You don't spend seven years proclaiming that you're the only Boneyard poster smart enough to tie their own shoes, then all of a sudden become so sensitive to other people that you do something as wacky as lying about your opinion of a football coach.

It has all been part of Whaler’s journey. As his spiritual advisor, we’ve spent many hours hashing this stuff over.

I honestly don’t remember whalers takes from then because I was so new on the board that I didn’t know who was who, but the 6-6 season did make it look like we were at least headed in the right direction. That season fooled me and many others. Some of the decisions were strange on offense, but I figured that was the cost of low rent fbs football regardless of who our coach was

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Well, bad hires happen all the time. Unfortunately, we made two back-to-back with P and the Diaco. I give Benedict a lot of credit, because Edsall may have been the absolute best hire he could make in terms of affordability and proven ability to (re)build this program. Let's hope so.

"One time Edsall found a player in Canada so a sub-MAC class is cool."
I honest have no idea what you mean by this.

I think the affordability factor is easily forgotten. For his experience...RE was a bargain.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It has all been part of Whaler’s journey. As his spiritual advisor, we’ve spent many hours hashing this stuff over.

I honestly don’t remember whalers takes from then because I was so new on the board that I didn’t know who was who, but the 6-6 season did make it look like we were at least headed in the right direction. That season fooled me and many others. Some of the decisions were strange on offense, but I figured that was the cost of low rent fbs football regardless of who our coach was

LOL. I was accused of ruining the board I ran Diaco down so badly.

I got hammered when I kept posting his T’eo lies.

Got hammered for calling out the joke that was recruiting.

Don’t take what I said as such a compliment. I said something nice so that his supporters would read the rest. It really just meant he wasn’t good enough to go anywhere else and our athletic department was too stupid to get rid of him.

Thankfully he imploded.

Feel free to search 3 years of posts or feel free to go with the guy who whimpers when someone points out Mansfied is filled with clowns.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
LOL. I was accused of ruining the board I ran Diaco down so badly.

I got hammered when I kept posting his T’eo lies.

Got hammered for calling out the joke that was recruiting.

Don’t take what I said as such a compliment. I said something nice so that his supporters would read the rest. It really just meant he wasn’t good enough to go anywhere else and our athletic department was too stupid to get rid of him.

Thankfully he imploded.

Fell free to search 3 years of posts or feel free to go with the guy who whimpers when someone points out Mansfied is filled with clowns.

You thought anyone else here had the brainpower to read what you wrote? Color me shocked.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You thought anyone else here had the brainpower to read what you wrote? Color me shocked.

Should we go back and re-read your melts when others came to the realization that Ollie was cooked?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
But Whaler has been playing safe ever since the declared "Diaco can stay for as long as he wants" and that's by either expressing no opinion or a negative opinion about every aspect of UConn sports. Seriously, what does Whaler like about UConn besides the spread against the team?

Edit update: I think Whaler is even against the UConn Dairy Bar.

Reaction Score

All of us were suckered.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
But Whaler has been playing safe ever since the declared "Diaco can stay for as long as he wants" and that's by either expressing no opinion or a negative opinion about every aspect of UConn sports. Seriously, what does Whaler like about UConn besides the spread against the team?

Angrophilia?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom