Phil Steele Predicts UConn 6th in AAC East | The Boneyard

Phil Steele Predicts UConn 6th in AAC East

Reaction Score
Still can't believe we're playing UCF in the first game of the season. The Citronauts are lying when they say there is no Civil ConFLiCT.

Reaction Score
Seems a pretty fair assessment. I'm hoping the defense fires on all cylinders out if the gate and we surprise everyone by going back to our 2009-2010 form while being able to sling it like when Dan O was here.

14-0 here we come

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I was encouraged by the title thinking 6th is good, middle of the pack. Missed the part about that being only in the AAC East. An no members on the first team. Maybe this can be bulletin board material.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Not a single first team all conference player there, either.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
It was a good report on us. The best we’re gonna do is flip spots with ecu and I’m sure Steele thinks that’s a good possibility. What matters is that he said he likes what edsall is building

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's fair. At some point, just making progress isn't going to be enough, but it's not this year. If you think about how young we are, and that we are going to have a new quarterback after this season, you have to wonder how many years we are are away from a bowl birth. 3 maybe, including this year?

Reaction Score
I can’t believe a 5-19 team that has two starters returning on defense and no quarterback who has ever come close to winning a game isn’t going to be good.
22-21

Reaction Score
It's fair. At some point, just making progress isn't going to be enough, but it's not this year. If you think about how young we are, and that we are going to have a new quarterback after this season, you have to wonder how many years we are are away from a bowl birth. 3 maybe, including this year?

2020 season

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Hard to argue with his predictions.

Who might be all conference at the end of the year....Peart? Van Demark? Anyone else?

Reaction Score

Not good enough. Don't hire coach where give him 4 years to get to 6-6. Were 3-9 last year, with little good luck could have been 5-9. Per Massey pre season opponents are ranked:
12, 37, 43 47, 52, 61, 86, 91, 106, 108 122, 191. Not exactly killer schedule.

This team should have an at least median type offense which would be close to 30 points a game, if not then the coaching needs to be questioned. All this 3-3-5 learning from last year, better athletes, better training, better attitude needs to translate into better defense. Defensive game scheme last year was so ineffective that no amount of "lack of talent/new scheme" excuses could acceptably explain.

C&FHCRE needs to treat the 2018 season as a "must get to bowl game" season not a prelude to when he finally gets "his guys".

At his dream job he was 2-10, 4-8, 7-6, 7-6, 2-4; so got to bowl game in 3rd year in ACC, why accept anything less at his fall back job at G-5 AAC than a bowl game in year 3 (and fighting for one in year 2).

huskiepride

New Kid On the block
Reaction Score
the predictions mean nothing. Id say let the kids prove him wrong in the field we will at least get 5th in the east lol. ECU is trash

how can we trust a guy that called ucf ufc...

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
the predictions mean nothing. Id say let the kids prove him wrong in the field we will at least get 5th in the east lol. ECU is trash

how can we trust a guy that called ucf ufc...

The difference between us and ECU is that they may be in a similar position to where we were in discos last year. He’s as good as fired and players will lose their drive.

Reaction Score
Also who could have ever anticipated multiple years of lost recruiting would have a long term impact?

It’s a real mystery.

I agree. Diaco screwed the pooch with recruiting. He recruited a whole bunch of slow basketball players. The really sad part is that he recruited about 4 million DE/TE "prototypes" and not a one panned out. You would think by the law of averages we'd have built some depth and talent at those spots.

As for the article, it may be generous. The defense was beyond awful last season with a bunch of seniors. Now we've got a bunch of young guys who are also on the small side on the DL and at LB. We better hope they run better than their predecessors, or I shutter to think what this season could bring.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I agree. Diaco screwed the pooch with recruiting. He recruited a whole bunch of slow basketball players. The really sad part is that he recruited about 4 million DE/TE "prototypes" and not a one panned out. You would think by the law of averages we'd have built some depth and talent at those spots.

As for the article, it may be generous. The defense was beyond awful last season with a bunch of seniors. Now we've got a bunch of young guys who are also on the small side on the DL and at LB. We better hope they run better than their predecessors, or I shutter to think what this season could bring.

It really is amazing. We don’t have a single diaco guy at DE or TE who is even decent. Tyler Davis doesn’t count. His best position is looking to be OT...Peart and Van Demark both good. Outside of that, not much. No QBs, one okay RB in Hopkins, no good corners or linebackers

Reaction Score
O on the Phil Steele All Conference 1st or 2nd Team.

I loved the Edsall years where I would buy the 3 annual College magazines in June and we'd be ranked 80-105 every year ... and (in my view of the world) we were often 40-55 by year end. Maybe slightly better. This Program begins with no respect; an underdog through and through. I have no raised expectations this year; except our QB, RB, WR are better than whatever we had with Johnny McEntee and Chandler Whitmer. The Defense? I have high hopes for Crocker; why not.

That schedule is tough tough tough. And, we play teams that our Fanbase don't have affinity. I want to see massive improvement, therefore, amongst a bunch of young Huskies.

Reaction Score

Well ... I would opine that both Tommy Myers and Alex were misused all their years of eligibility. Therefore, we HAD TEs; but, nobody thought to gameplan them in. Both had talent.

Reaction Score
Well ... I would opine that both Tommy Myers and Alex were misused all their years of eligibility. Therefore, we HAD TEs; but, nobody thought to gameplan them in. Both had talent.

Pudge, I don't think Diaco had anything to do with the recruitment of Myers or Alex. Hopefully Rose turns out to be a good one and that would have been on Diaco's watch.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
22-21

You mean the FCS game that Sherrifs bailed them out of? I guess they may have come close to winning without changing quarterbacks.

Amend to FBS game!

Reaction Score
It really is amazing. We don’t have a single diaco guy at DE or TE who is even decent. Tyler Davis doesn’t count. His best position is looking to be OT...Peart and Van Demark both good. Outside of that, not much. No QBs, one okay RB in Hopkins, no good corners or linebackers

DeGeorge and Mayala

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom