Phil Nolan Positives | The Boneyard

Phil Nolan Positives

Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
First off, I know this thread title will have a lot of guys shaking their heads or thinking I'm a complete idiot. The latter may be true at times, but with all the Phil-bashing going on lately, I'd like to draw attention to some bright spots I saw out of him today.

1. Taking 2 charges (everyone already knows that)
2. With the exception of 1 where he was called for an offensive foul, Nolan was very active and effective in setting high screens so our guards could get to where they needed to be.
3. Though none of it will show in the box score, Phil did a decent job defending against the Charleston's bigs, causing them to settle for many contested jumpers that fell short.
4. As usual, he played excellent pick and roll defense, another thing the box score won't tell you about.
5. Even if all of the above is dismissed, he at the very least provided a big body for fouls and this kept Amida in the game.

Again, I realize this post will probably be met with a good degree of disagreement and derision, but I like to focus on the good things Nolan is doing and hope that he can build on those small things to get back to at least the level of offensive/defensive performance we had from him last year (minus the blocked dunks vs UK).

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If you don't whine, you ain't know fan!
I no you ain't know fan!

Reaction Score
plenty of things don't show up in a box score.
this does however.
2 games.
20 total minutes.
0 points.
0 rebounds.

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I have to say your analysis is somewhat persuasive. You should ghostwrite his autobiography, "Photobombin' Philly: How I Learned To Take (The) Charge."

We have to accept he is often a liability on offense but he can still play a meaningful role when the ball is not in his hands. Really looking forward to/dreading how our bigs stack up against the likes of Okafor and other top centers.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
He also did something today I'm not sure I've ever seen. He got called for a foul while shooting. The announcers initially thought it was on Brimah but later confirmed it was Nolan. He made a little spin move and went up for the shot and some how was tagged with a foul. Very odd. It wasn't the usual bulling into a guy as he went straight up. How did they call a foul on him?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
He also did something today I'm not sure I've ever seen. He got called for a foul while shooting. The announcers initially thought it was on Brimah but later confirmed it was Nolan. He made a little spin move and went up for the shot and some how was tagged with a foul. Very odd. It wasn't the usual bulling into a guy as he went straight up. How did they call a foul on him?

I don't know, I had the game on my DVR and replayed that at least 5 times and couldn't see anything that should've resulted in a foul on PN. Brimah gave an inadvertent elbow hook to one of the Charleston guy, but that was after the whistle was blown.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
He hasn't stolen any crab legs. Of course, he hasn't stolen any rebounds yet either.

Reaction Score
Bottom line is for Nolan as well as Amida - rebound the ball. Neither is ever ready to rebound the ball in both position and hands! This needs to get better and should, it's up to them.

Also Facey - yeah yeah I know he had 11 rebounds vs Bryant blah blah blah but overtime he was on the weak side today and I watched HIM he did nothing to put a body in the guy behind him and instead of owning the rebound he had to fight and we lost or it was loose. I don't care how great you jump if you don't make it a habit to hit someone you will begin to lose that 11 rebound a game edge and quick! He doesn't do anything else well enough for now to stay on the floor without rebounding the ball. He is still basically lost on defense!

And last - Fishy has it pretty much spot on as someone else said!

Reaction Score
Agree he has to do more. So far he just hasnt played hard enough. If he was playing hard--hed have 5-6 points and 3-4 rebounds in each of the games.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I really don't get it. He's pretty athletic for someone that's 6'10, good length, good body, gets good in great position on defense... Just can't rebound or score and fouls too much. He's really tough to figure out.

Reaction Score
I feel bad for Phil I like the guy what ever he's struggle is not all just his fault coaches need to motivate this dude and teach him something.

Reaction Score
I feel bad for Phil I like the guy what ever he's struggle is not all just his fault coaches need to motivate this dude and teach him something.

C'mon really? They work with these guys every day - if you're not getting better by this time in your junior year whatever shortcomings you have are on YOU! Time for a shot of confidence with the ball in his hands or back to the gym after practice. Coaches have done their job if he wants to play more, go home do your homework, study and go back to the gym and perfect our low post game!

Reaction Score
C'mon really? They work with these guys every day - if you're not getting better by this time in your junior year whatever shortcomings you have are on YOU! Time for a shot of confidence with the ball in his hands or back to the gym after practice. Coaches have done their job if he wants to play more, go home do your homework, study and go back to the gym and perfect our low post game!

Tyler Olander every year he regressed Phil Nolan is in the same path. Our big can't rebound worth a lick, they can't dribble the ball they have no post moves lol.. Are you serious telling me you don't see anything wrong? C'mon our seven footer averages 4 rebounds against Bryant and College of Charleston.

Reaction Score
Tyler Olander every year he regressed Phil Nolan is in the same path. Our big can't rebound worth a lick, they can't dribble the ball they have no post moves lol.. Are you serious telling me you don't see anything wrong? C'mon our seven footer averages 4 rebounds against Bryant and College of Charleston.
We did that last year and won a NC. I dont think rebounding will be a problem. I think everyone expects

A. That Rodney Purvis will be worth 13-14 points shooting around 45%

B That Phil Nolan with two years experience will give 5-6 points and 4-5 rebounds at 6-10 240 every game

IF we get those two things and everyone else does their roles--were going to be good.

Reaction Score
His first foul was setting a screen where he barely touched the player, bogus. He was snakebit today. The refs were bad today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom