Phil Nolan Gaining Weight | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Phil Nolan Gaining Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Listen son, you're clearly upset over something because you're taking yourself to conclusions that nobody has led you to. I'm interested in how others have progressed because I'm interested in my own strength development and like hearing other perspectives and methods. Anyone who has done any amount of lifting will be a little skeptical that some kid went from nothing to 500lb dead lift in 6 months, unless he's one of the most genetically gifted people on earth. That's not just me. I'm just been saying that 13lbs in a year for someone who is explicitly trying to gain weight and has a lovely 6'10 frame to put it on sounds like they a bad gainer. You're clearly flailing around grasping for things to talk about. You're just acting mad ITT.

Go bust you some nuts or something and calm yourself down.

Reaction Score
Let's just hope he doesn't approach "Uncle Phil" status.

0iup.jpg

Reaction Score
Its hard to gain weight when ur still growing. Lets assume Phil is done growing he should put on another ten pounds in the next year. that puts him at 223 as a junior very very reasonable.

Reaction Score
I'll be happy to donate 20 lbs . to Phil. It is up to him to turn it into muscle.

LOL I have 30 more..........hope he can make it 20 yr old 30 though........

By the way I have a few more after that I'm not quite done

Reaction Score
You understand how borderline impossible this is to believe, right?

He has truly great genetics. I also put him on a customized training protocol from day one. College players do not train as well for their bodies as he was. The programing in college is very generic and very similar for all players regardless of weak points and bio-mechanics. Only NFL players use as good of a protocol as he was using, but they have already started to plateau from training hard in college for 3-5 years so very few players get drastic results. These types of results usually come from division 1 level football players or future NFL players when they are in high school.

Clearly Phil has not and will not get as drastic results as some, but the human body is capable of great things. I wouldn't doubt his capabilities.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
He has truly great genetics. I also put him on a customized training protocol from day one. College players do not train as well for their bodies as he was. The programing in college is very generic and very similar for all players regardless of weak points and bio-mechanics. Only NFL players use as good of a protocol as he was using, but they have already started to plateau from training hard in college for 3-5 years so very few players get drastic results. These types of results usually come from division 1 level football players or future NFL players when they are in high school.

Clearly Phil has not and will not get as drastic results as some, but the human body is capable of great things. I wouldn't doubt his capabilities.

Yeah, absolute freak genetics. He must be known to some degree. Did he not go on to play professionally? How did he progress beyond those first 6 months? What's this guy's name, if you don't mind? What kind of protocol did you use?

Not trying to interrogate you here.

pj

Reaction Score
Boone was fat? You don't know how any of these players react to weight training and diet. Nolan can easily beef up with good weight training and diet, he has a solid frame to begin with for a 19 year old.

You don't need to be fat, but you do need fat -- you can eat it. It sounds like the diet they are pushing on these athletes is too protein rich. They would gain lean tissue faster with more saturated fat. By the way, gaining bone mass is good. Somebody lumped bone with adipose fat.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I just hope the weight he has added has been good weight.

Last year, Olander bulked up in preparation for a larger role at the 5 and he was noticeably slow-footed.

I think Nolan will be our starting center and I think he will provide at least what Chuck did in 2011 which is all we need from him.

Reaction Score
You don't need to be fat, but you do need fat -- you can eat it. It sounds like the diet they are pushing on these athletes is too protein rich. They would gain lean tissue faster with more saturated fat. By the way, gaining bone mass is good. Somebody lumped bone with adipose fat.

Not to nitpick but saturated fat isn't good for gaining lean mass, saturated fats are solid at room temp, think butter. Unsaturated are typically liquid at room temp, things like olive oil.

Sorry I hate these kind of posts too

Reaction Score
Yeah, absolute freak genetics. He must be known to some degree. Did he not go on to play professionally? How did he progress beyond those first 6 months? What's this guy's name, if you don't mind? What kind of protocol did you use?

Not really sure what's so unbelievable here -- before this spring I'd never actively targeted my lower body when lifting, but after four months of once weekly lower body workouts (squats and deadlifts), I'm up to deadlifting 400lbs... Also, I've seen enough of Sportsman's educated posts regarding weight-training to have faith in the legitimacy of his anecdote.

Since, through your own admission, you're "not an expert" in the matter, it would seemingly make the most sense not to act like one...

Reaction Score

Since you asked for a lot of information, than my answer will be fairly long, so if anyone viewing this thread doesn't want to read about maximizing athletic performance than don't bother reading this post.

He made the progress this spring. He plans to play division 1 or division 2 football next year depending upon his scholarship options and other factors. If he were a typical recruit out of high-school with good grades he would be all set, but he is not. I do not want to go into further detail due to privacy issues.

There are multiple things that must be considered when trying to optimize athleticism through weight training. The body must be balanced in order to optimize speed and explosiveness through multiple planes of movement and the player must have a strong neuromuscular connection in order to generate a high rate of force development. Squating 1000 lbs is great, but if you can't move sub maximum weights fast, than you won't be able to run fast or jump high.

Part 1 of a plan is to balance the body by bringing up weak body parts.
When I first started working with him his quads were stronger than his hamstrings and glutes. We improved the strength of those by doing a lot of barbell hip thrusts, glute-ham raises off a pulldown cable system, zercher squats, and moderate stance dead lifts with the hands inside the feet, but not wide enough to be considered sumo. The squats were either started from the bottom position with the bar resting on the guards or off a box. These were all done with moderate or wide stance. Examples of accessory exercises to complement these would be extensions for the mid back on a swiss ball, reverse hyper extensions, and heavily weighted barbell rollouts. Other exercises were included, but these were the focus for lower body. Compound movement rep ranges were typically 1-5 reps and accessory were typically much higher. However, you must remember that it is not just about performing these exercises using any form, but performing them in a way that is tailored to the person depending upon biomechanics, previous injuries, and what on field movements they are trying to improve. There is a system to assessment of an athlete and programming for him/her, but optimizing things for an athlete is WAY more complicated than most people think and that is what is limiting many athletes from reaching their potential. Many people who are supposed to be experts simply are not experts or are not giving every athlete the individual attention that they need.

Part 2 is mental.
part A of this is convincing the person that their is no limit to their success and that they are capable of what normal people consider impossible or unbelievable. Instilling this in a person is very hard, but once done it gives them a huge edge over a "normal" person. It is not about getting a person to be outwardly cocky. These people are often times very insecure inside. What you want is the inner confidence that anything is possible and there are no limits to success.

part B is a mix of mental and physical. It involves training a persons neuromuscular system through the principles of European weight lifting. This is much more advanced than the talk about exercises and is very hard to explain in a simple way. You can read about it yourself if you are interested. It is not about gaining muscle, but how to train to recruit more muscle at the same time and to do it quickly. It is about very carefully planning out a mix of box jumps, broad jumps, short sprints, throws etc. that train the body to recruit muscle fast. If you prefer video explanations to written than search for louie simmons or joe defranco on youtube and you will find examples and to some degree explanations. The best college coaches include this into their programs. Unfortunately it is not easy to do because of NCAA limitations on practice time. Luckily I am not limited by NCAA rules.

If you want additional information, than private message me and we can talk more.

Reaction Score
Not to nitpick but saturated fat isn't good for gaining lean mass, saturated fats are solid at room temp, think butter. Unsaturated are typically liquid at room temp, things like olive oil.

agreed. As long as a person has enough saturated fat and cholesterol to be able to produce optimal amounts of steroidal hormones and cell membranes, than additional amounts of saturated fat are typically not needed for optimizing gains in muscle mass. If there are biochemists that see a flaw in this statement, than feel free to correct me.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Not really sure what's so unbelievable here -- before this spring I'd never actively targeted my lower body when lifting, but after four months of once weekly lower body workouts (squats and deadlifts), I'm up to deadlifting 400lbs... Also, I've seen enough of Sportsman's educated posts regarding weight-training to have faith in the legitimacy of his anecdote.

Since, through your own admission, you're "not an expert" in the matter, it would seemingly make the most sense not to act like one...

Well I have to admit I'm going really slow on purpose. Several months ago I decided to start over basically from scratch (150lbs) and work my way back up retooling my form as part of a general pursuit of optimal posture, and I've been purposely only adding like 5 lbs every third week. It's slow but I'm definitely at least making gains in the size and weight department even with the significantly decreased weight (I'm only back up to 205 in this progression), and I'm in no real rush.

Dude said himself the kid had crazy genes. Maybe you have really good genes too. I'm not going to say your form is f-cked, but I feel (and of course I can be wrong) that adding that much that quickly isn't the norm.

Oh but don't tell me I'm acting like an expert. I'm not saying anyone is wrong and I'm right or anything.

Reaction Score
Well I have to admit I'm going really slow on purpose. Several months ago I decided to start over basically from scratch (150lbs) and work my way back up retooling my form as part of a general pursuit of optimal posture, and I've been purposely only adding like 5 lbs every third week. It's slow but I'm definitely at least making gains in the size and weight department even with the significantly decreased weight (I'm only back up to 205 in this progression), and I'm in no real rush.

Dude said himself the kid had crazy genes. Maybe you have really good genes too. I'm not going to say your form is f-cked, but I feel (and of course I can be wrong) that adding that much that quickly isn't the norm.

Oh but don't tell me I'm acting like an expert. I'm not saying anyone is wrong and I'm right or anything.

No worries -- I'm by no means an expert either. Starting out light and concentrating on your form is probably a intelligent approach -- I always start out light when warming up, and then ramp it up from there, but sometimes I do worry that I'm getting greedy when increasing weight quickly, and that my form may be suffering in the process.

Good luck with your training.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
The way I was advised to assess whether or not my posture (and, following, DL form) is suffering is to try to sit in the corner of a wall and get my butt as deep in to the corner as I can with my legs out straight in front of me with shoulders and head against the wall. If you can't easily get your butt in there or feel your back rounding, there's your answer.

Reaction Score
The way I was advised to assess whether or not my posture (and, following, DL form) is suffering is to try to sit in the corner of a wall and get my butt as deep in to the corner as I can with my legs out straight in front of me with shoulders and head against the wall. If you can't easily get your butt in there or feel your back rounding, there's your answer.
Haha, so you are that guy at the gym.

pj

Reaction Score

You're mistaken, dairy and other saturated fat sources are great for building lean mass, that's why old school bodybuilders drank so much milk. Polyunsaturated fats on the other hand are a disaster for muscle. What the phase of a fat at room temperature has to do with anything is beyond me. It is meaningless in the body, the body is not at room temperature and fats are transported by lipoproteins, they do not flow the body as a liquid.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Yeah Germanic peoples have been getting by on beef, pork and dairy for centuries and have always been known for being hearty and strong

Reaction Score
You're mistaken, dairy and other saturated fat sources are great for building lean mass, that's why old school bodybuilders drank so much milk. Polyunsaturated fats on the other hand are a disaster for muscle. What the phase of a fat at room temperature has to do with anything is beyond me. It is meaningless in the body, the body is not at room temperature and fats are transported by lipoproteins, they do not flow the body as a liquid.

I only brought up the solid vs liquid to illustrate the difference between the two for imagery. It's not meaningless in the body, you've heard the term healthy fats vs unhealthy ones. Healthy fats are unsaturated as they're lower in HDL. I'm not claiming to be an expert, but would love to hear your credentials on the matter.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I'm 22, have been lifting consistently 3+ times a week for over a year now, am a fairly easy gainer, and there is no way I have gained more than 10 lean pounds. The way an athlete should be training in-season, combined with his being a hard gainer, I just don't see him gaining more than 5 lbs a year. Again, seeing his compound lift progression would give some kind of gauge as to how much of what he's gained is from bone and fat.

Your not 6'10 either. He is growing into his adult body and even with his slight frame I can see him at 220 lbs. by Oct. 18th and next year be at 230 or so.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Hope you're right. But like I've been saying ITT all along, if his 6'10 frame is so great for bulking, he's apparently still growing, and he has incredible nutrition and lifting resources, why has he gained just 13 pounds in a year?

Reaction Score

i think the whey and casein protein were the reasons that lots of milk led to gains in muscle mass. An excess of calories is one factor of many that has an effect on the bodies decision to build muscle. therefore, excess calories are helpful, but it didn't have to come from the fat or sugar in milk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom