Phil Nolan _ team tidbits | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Phil Nolan _ team tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am sorry ... but I am in the CONTRA camp. Phil Nolan has not regressed. He is what he is.

For those amongst us that have played on a TEAM - HS or otherwise: There is positioning at being a Big Guy on Offense & Defense; things that the average fan (UConn Boneyard or other) won't ever comment on. Phil Nolan always got that. He knew positioning. He SCREENS well; knows the plays. He stayed consistently between his offensive assignment and the ball. Played Zone & rotated. All good. It is NOT just his propensity to take charge when you are talking Nolan. It's a lot of the little things.

He played last year's tournament in a key role because ... Brimah simply wasn't ready. The highlight of his UConn days may have already come: Dunk against the Spartans in MSG. When you bring up past UConn Bigs, you should look at Wane - Cyrulik - Besselink - Justin Brown - Willingham - Mandeldove. Nolan started higher than all of them in positioning. And IQ. But, he just has not any development further - it seems. Wane got better (of course, he rarely played before UConn); Besselink was a physical talent and learned to score/rebound at a higher level; Cyrulik had more aggressiveness & some shotmaking skill from Day one; Justin Brown never got very far & didn't understand the game; Willingham & Mandeldove never was what Nolan was coming in & never played much.

I think Philip Nolan is the kind of 6-10 kid that you see at the MAAC level often (Fishy - Marist?). Maybe at a A10 program occasionally. With a 20 pound weight gain of good muscle, maybe you can see one of these guys get far better. But, I think we see that Nolan just is not a fluid athlete. He does know the game. And at UConn, we still need to project a Big because we won't often get Diamond Stone. We get lucky with a Okafor, Voskuhl, Thabeet, Brimah.

Reaction Score
We should run some more plays for boat coming off screens. I want to see him shoot open jumpers rather than work his but off everytime

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
He made an alley-oop dunk just a few games ago, so it's not impossible. These are the 2 biggest problems I see with Nolan.
1- He plays scared on defense. He barely will reach a hand in anymore to block a shot or grab a rebound because he's worried the zebras will slap him with a cheap one.
2 - He tries to be a finesse player in the post. When you add as much weight as he has, you just don't do that. At this point he has to be a power guy and forget the finesse stuff.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
If Stone doesn't commit you better believe I'm blaming Nolan for it

Reaction Score
come on guys we all remember how devastating Phil was last year against Kentucky in the Championship game. Just ask Bazz if he didn't keep getting blocked he could of had double digit points

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I think KO sent Phil a very loud and clear message Tuesday, produce or sit

Reaction Score
people trashing nolan are simple . he fills a role. he is going to get better

Reaction Score
If Stone doesn't commit you better believe I'm blaming Nolan for it
What about Dyson? Are you not saving at least a portion of the blame for him? Are you new here?

Reaction Score
He had the ball in the post in the first half last night and he looked liked someone handed him a live grenade. Simply turning to the basket caused him to lose control.

Going forward, he just needs to be 6'10" whenever Amida needs a spell on the bench.

A grenade - fn beautiful LMAO

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
Look at it this way. At least he's not Dove.
I once got Stone Cold Stunnered by The Dove...it was definitely a low point in my life
1923970_579388418891_6616_n.jpg

Reaction Score
We should run some more plays for boat coming off screens. I want to see him shoot open jumpers rather than work his but off everytime

You need someone that can handle and pass to set the play for him. Who?

Reaction Score
Nolan's stats in 151 minutes (13 games) this year... 15 points, 14 rebounds, 3 blocks, 1 assist, 8 turnovers, 27 fouls.

Lubin's stats in 56 minutes (9 games) this year... 11 points, 12 rebounds, 0 blocks, 2 assists, 2 turnovers, 8 fouls.

Nolan's production almost defies logic for a 6'10" player in his 3rd year with significant minutes under his belt.

Edit: Nolan also hit the bottom of the backboard on a shot that didn't come from the baseline.
And these numbers are comparing a freshman who never saw Div1 action against a junior. Give Lubin Phil's minutes.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
People who are expecting Phil to make a jump similar to what Boat did or any player who went from Junior to Senior, have not watch Phil play. Some people just don't have it, please add Phil to that list. The only person I could remember who was Phil's height or taller who drew charges was Vlade Divac....The thing those was drawing charges was NOT Divac's claim to fame as it is with Phil and that my friends is the issue.

Reaction Score
People who are expecting Phil to make a jump similar to what Boat did or any player who went from Junior to Senior, have not watch Phil play. Some people just don't have it, please add Phil to that list. The only person I could remember who was Phil's height or taller who drew charges was Vlade Divac....The thing those was drawing charges was NOT Divac's claim to fame as it is with Phil and that my friends is the issue.

While most of what you say is true I am not seeing anyone asking for a huge jump in stats or game for that matter. He is what he is, but still useful and better at some things which do not get on the state sheets than our other big men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom