Pheesa yesterday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pheesa yesterday

Reaction Score
One game, one game, one game. Pheasa will be fine.

I remember the opening game last year she blew it up for 30 something points, I suspect we'll be seeing that high scoring, rebounding, and shot blocking whiz again....and soon. :D

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Geno mentioned in a pre-game interview that Pheesa had a nagging foot injury. That might have been it. Also, I believe she set up frequently above the free-throw line rather than inside. It's uncharacteristic of her to take so few shots and so many of them 3s (3 of 9). Stanford kept everyone out of the interior to a surprising degree, but I believe that shouldn't be possible for an entire game. Collier's absence from under the boards also affected the rebounding disparity. She's known as a "ball magnet," but wasn't Sunday.

This was an Atypical game. Unless they play 2-3 games like this in a row, I'm not worried. One game does not a season make. If Napheesa is hurt, or nursing a nagging injury that's one thing, but to not look for her on the block is something else. Crystal can get Collier the ball on the block. If Dangerous can get the ball to Natalie Butler on the block with regularity, she can get it to Collier. Keep in mind that Butler's hands weren't as good as Collier's. IMHO, Collier has the best hands on the team. She doesn't fumble entry passes when on the block, not even bad ones........standing still or moving. Let's see what they look like Friday at home against Cal. I'm guessing the real UConn Husky team shows up, the one we're use to seeing. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Pheesa was one or two steps behind the ball almost every play ...seemed her head was not in the game ...can't blame that on z...Kia nurse was also not good ..bad passes ..poor defense...missing passes ...post play was not very good seemed like no one was in a position to rebound?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Pheesa was one or two steps behind the ball almost every play ...seemed her head was not in the game ...can't blame that on z...Kia nurse was also not good ..bad passes ..poor defense...missing passes ...post play was not very good seemed like no one was in a position to rebound?
Not sure your criticism of Kia on defense is warranted. Kia held Brittany McPhee, Stanford’s top offensive threat to 9 pts on 3-12 shooting.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I hope that Pheesa isn't affected by the injury. We'll know more after a few more games.

Reaction Score
I'm not concerned about Collier. Pheesa AND Kia didn't seem to be as involved in the offense yesterday. I'm sure it will also take some time for the team to adjust to a shoot first PG like Dangerfield but when they do, watch out!

Reaction Score
The season is just starting so I’m not going to start worrying now, but this is the second game (that counted) in a row that she has been Atypical.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am wondering if Napheesa is still dealing with the injury from this summer. Also, what happened to her arm? She had a bandage on it. Geno was asked about the bandage on Napheesa's arm, and he said he didn't know what happened.

Reaction Score
This was an Atypical game. Unless they play 2-3 games like this in a row, I'm not worried. One game does not a season make. If Napheesa is hurt, or nursing a nagging injury that's one thing, but to not look for her on the block is something else. Crystal can get Collier the ball on the block. If Dangerous can get the ball to Natalie Butler on the block with regularity, she can get it to Collier. Keep in mind that Butler's hands weren't as good as Collier's. IMHO, Collier has the best hands on the team. She doesn't fumble entry passes when on the block, not even bad ones...standing still or moving. Let's see what they look like Friday at home against Cal. I'm guessing the real UConn Husky team shows up, the one we're use to seeing. ;)

Reaction Score
They should have scored 100 points or more. The Gabby to Pheesa combo was missing and I don't understand why Pheesa was outside of her "home" where Gabby always finds her, defense or not.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm not concerned about Collier. Pheesa AND Kia didn't seem to be as involved in the offense yesterday. I'm sure it will also take some time for the team to adjust to a shoot first PG like Dangerfield but when they do, watch out!

They should have scored 100 points or more. The Gabby to Pheesa combo was missing and I don't understand why Pheesa was outside of her "home" where Gabby always finds her, defense or not.

UCONN is running the offense a little differently this year more 4 out, pick and roll with Crystal initiating at the top. Gabby initiating from the top has only been run on two possessions, last year it was run about 30% of the time. It's early and UCONN is experimenting. The pick and roll is resulting in a lot of easy baskets. As long as Crystal and Kia continue to hit outside shots don't look for UCONN to go back to Gabby at the top being the main facilitator as a big part of the offense.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Er...., don't you mean a "pass first " pg? While she did enjoy an afternoon against the Cardinal when the basket appeared larger than normal, their offensive plays are not designed for her just yet. Lou, Napheesa and Gabby are on top of the that totem pole. Crystal will shoot if the clock is running down, or the play has broken down, and no one is open.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score

I agree they should have score at least 20 more points than they did. Let's see if they can rectify that deficiency today. Lots of missed bunnies and free throws. They're much better than that. I think Stanford gave them a better game than Cal will.....plus they're at home.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom