Pheesa yesterday | The Boneyard

Pheesa yesterday

Reaction Score
Atyplical game for Pheesa last night. She did not seem involved in the offense and not getting the rebounds compared to last year.

upload_2017-11-13_13-26-12.png

Off game?

Reaction Score
Atyplical game for Pheesa last night. She did not seem involved in the offense and not getting the rebounds compared to last year.

View attachment 26120

Off game?
No it was not A typical game for Precious--yesterday, Geno mixed up his options to get them familiar with each others idiosyncrasies and desires during real game situations. Can't do that in practice.
Napeesa is Precious all of us who watched her these past 2 years know how Precious she really can be in tough games.

Whether by design, by fouls, or a bad day (never had one) I won't worry about her game; however, I shall show concern should she have 3 less typical games.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
In the first half, when she was taking a foul shot, it looked to me like she had a bandage on the inside of her left bicep. I wonder if she has a wound that is on the mend or does she now have a tat?

Reaction Score
She seemed out of sorts well before Stevens came in and before she had 4 fouls.
I seem to recall a very ugly 3-point shot that missed. For someone whose game is normally so smooth and effortless-looking, it was striking.

My concern would be some kind of nagging injury.

Reaction Score
With Z coming in there was a chance that Gabby or Pheesa would take a hit in production, not easy to explain, but it could be like when Maya came in and Huston took a hit in her production.

Reaction Score
It's been remarked a couple of times since yesterday's game that, while the defense in the first half left absolutely nothing to be desired, the offensive spacing wasn't nearly as good. I thought Gabby rushed a few outside shots, and that Pheesa was caught out there more than usual. It may well be Z's presence, but I think it happened without Z as well. Just part of the most complex offense in all of basketball: read-and-react motion. As they get used to the new players--and that actually includes Crystal--it will eventually jell.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It's been remarked a couple of times since yesterday's game that, while the defense in the first half left absolutely nothing to be desired, the offensive spacing wasn't nearly as good. I thought Gabby rushed a few outside shots, and that Pheesa was caught out there more than usual. It may well be Z's presence, but I think it happened without Z as well. Just part of the most complex offense in all of basketball: read-and-react motion. As they get used to the new players--and that actually includes Crystal--it will eventually jell.
Yeah, I remarked early on in the game thread, and during preseason, that their transitional game and spacing during transition and secondary transition was good. Their spacing, patience, lack of movement and hard cutting in their half court offense, not so good. During the game (I haven't re-watched it yet) Stanford was very attentive on Lou and covered her curls well. They also stayed with their man on the pick and roll, UConn's screens were not timely or well set, and Stanford boxed out well, all in the first half.

Reaction Score
No it was not A typical game for Precious--yesterday, Geno mixed up his options to get them familiar with each others idiosyncrasies and desires during real game situations. Can't do that in practice.
Napeesa is Precious all of us who watched her these past 2 years know how Precious she really can be in tough games.

Whether by design, by fouls, or a bad day (never had one) I won't worry about her game; however, I shall show concern should she have 3 less typical games.
Makes sense but does that explain why she only took 6 shots?

Reaction Score
Makes sense but does that explain why she only took 6 shots?
It was either bad Karma, voodo, lost MoJo, or the basketball gods were at lunch. However, it could be that the BASKETBALL god told her to feed Z and Danger.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Collier vs Dayton.JPG

Short of an injury, Napheesa Collier will be just fine.

Last season, in the 2nd game of the season, against Baylor, she scored 10 points and had 4 fouls. And, Crystal scored a ton of points on 8-14 shooting. Sounds familiar...

The next game she scored 8 points against LSU. And, fouled out. Sounds really familiar... Then she went on to become an All-American.

Everyone relax, and take a deep breath...

Go Huskies..!!

HGN

Reaction Score
Probably just wasn't feeling it.............Some of us stay home from work when we are just not 'feeling it' that day.
But Pheese doesn't have that option. She showed up for work and gave it what she could. but when she's
feeling it WORK gets done! :)

JordyG

Reaction Score
Wasn't it Tara's primary game plan to take Pheesa out of the game?
No. Part of Tara's game plan on defense was to cover the pick and roll well, bust up screens, box out, set well on the perimeter on Nurse and Lou, and cover Lou on her curls forcing her to shoot inside. Lou adapted well. Pheese has started to count on her outside shot to pull the defense toward her, but her shot hasn't been there. Since the pick and roll was covered so well, UConn has not been setting timely and crisp screens and Pheese didn't cut well, nor did she seal well off the block, she had issues.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I remarked early on in the game thread, and during preseason, that their transitional game and spacing during transition and secondary transition was good. Their spacing, patience, lack of movement and hard cutting in their half court offense, not so good. During the game (I haven't re-watched it yet) Stanford was very attentive on Lou and covered her curls well. They also stayed with their man on the pick and roll, UConn's screens were not timely or well set, and Stanford boxed out well, all in the first half.
View attachment 26123

Short of an injury, Napheesa Collier will be just fine.

Last season, in the 2nd game of the season, against Baylor, she scored 10 points and had 4 fouls. And, Crystal scored a ton of points on 8-14 shooting. Sounds familiar...

The next game she scored 8 points against LSU. And, fouled out. Sounds really familiar... Then she went on to become an All-American.

Everyone relax, and take a deep breath...

Go Huskies..!!
No Panic here. Just wondering if her offensive output was due to opportunity or game plan.

JordyG

Reaction Score
No Panic here. Just wondering if her offensive output was due to opportunity or game plan.
Again, I haven't re-watched the game yet. I noted because of Tara's game plan Lou was unable to curl open and was forced off the perimeter. She then adapted. She created, made her way to the basket and put pressure on the defense that way. Pheese didn't adapt well, didn't move well, and didn't create opportunities.

Reaction Score
Hope it was just an off game. Geno did mention that she had some physical issues since Italy.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
The post entry passes that Saniya and Crystal threw to Pheesa last year became shots from Crystal yesterday. Pheesa will be fine, she got into foul trouble early. which never happened last season.

Reaction Score
You know, these kids aren't machines...

True but you have to call it straight. When she's great we should say it, but when she stinks up the joint like last years final four game it's ok to say that too right?

This team is so loaded it's ok if any one person has an off night.

I do worry psychologicaly if it effects her having Z staring at her from the bench, or it may take some work playing along side another talented big.

She'll be fine.

Reaction Score
the pick and roll was covered, Pheesa' usual bread and butter.

Disagree with your answer, but not your details.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The post entry passes that Saniya and Crystal threw to Pheesa last year became shots from Crystal yesterday. Pheesa will be fine, she got into foul trouble early. which never happened last season.
Actually Pheesa got into foul trouble a number of games last season, and fouled out of several games as I remember. While I’m really not concerned about her offense (She is a consensus AA for a reason) I am concerned with Pheesa’s propensity to get silly reach in fouls. That was her problem last season and it was her problem in the 1st game this season.

I’m sure Pheesa will hear about it from Geno during film session. The good news is that unlike last season, when we would all panic if any Husky got into foul trouble, this season we have Z, MW and eventually Batouly ready to step in.

Reaction Score
She seemed out of sorts well before Stevens came in and before she had 4 fouls.
I seem to recall a very ugly 3-point shot that missed. For someone whose game is normally so smooth and effortless-looking, it was striking.

My concern would be some kind of nagging injury.

Geno mentioned in a pre-game interview that Pheesa had a nagging foot injury. That might have been it. Also, I believe she set up frequently above the free-throw line rather than inside. It's uncharacteristic of her to take so few shots and so many of them 3s (3 of 9). Stanford kept everyone out of the interior to a surprising degree, but I believe that shouldn't be possible for an entire game. Collier's absence from under the boards also affected the rebounding disparity. She's known as a "ball magnet," but wasn't Sunday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom