Phantosmia - smoke smell | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Phantosmia - smoke smell

Reaction Score
Hmmm. Did you check the smoke basket for any signs of wild kingdom and perhaps a carcass or two? Some of those furry critters would surely give off a strong smoke signal.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hmmm. Did you check the smoke basket for any signs of wild kingdom and perhaps a carcass or two? Some of those furry critters would surely give off a strong smoke signal.
Yes. Wasn’t that. But it was possibly wet. I had wildlife issues with my grills in Vermont so always check. I’ve got some ribs to smoke if it cools down. Hopefully will do it right.

Status update. Still no effect when outside, which i was all day at the beach and golfing yesterday. Back to the beach today. When inside the effect is slowly dissipating. I really think I damaged my sinuses and throat and they are healing.

Reaction Score
Yes. Wasn’t that. But it was possibly wet. I had wildlife issues with my grills in Vermont so always check. I’ve got some ribs to smoke if it cools down. Hopefully will do it right.

Status update. Still no effect when outside, which i was all day at the beach and golfing yesterday. Back to the beach today. When inside the effect is slowly dissipating. I really think I damaged my sinuses and throat and they are healing.
Well, smoking can be a risky proposition. Even secondary smoke. Hopefully you aren't hideous!

Reaction Score
Figured I'd throw this up because it's just so weird and is highly annoying and you'll likely make jokes about the name. A week ago, my wife's birthday, I decided to smoke a turkey breast that had accidentally thawed and needed to be cooked. But I had to put it on the smoker during lunch. I hadn't used my drum smoker since the fall, and I think I rushed the charcoal and there may have been some moisture in the drum basket. The smoke that resulted was so intense, neighbors called to see if we were burning brush (fire risk given the dry weather) or had a house fire. I got multiple big full face blasts of dense smoke as I tried to deal with it. Disaster. Turkey ended up edible, but the rest will go in some chili.

Fast forward and every day since I smell smoke, and feel like my nasal passages are burning. Feel it in my throat too. Dr. Google tells me this phantom smoke smell is Phantosmia. It feels like I've gone back in time and live in a smoke filled bar from the 80s 24x7. Only time it subsided noticeably was at the beach. I've tried a saline rinse. Guess I can try again. Anybody else ever suffer from this? Eventually I'll go to Dr. if it persists.
OMG i JUST SAW THIS THREAD. I have this. I've had it since 2011 and researched it to death. Mine comes and goes. I was told by my neurologist that some of our olfactory nerves short circuit as we age. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a room with 100 smokers and I've never smoked. Other times I smell dirt. It happens to me less frequently lately as I've been on a certain med for my depressions. But I thought I was going crazy when it started happening.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom