PGA Championship | The Boneyard

PGA Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Surprised there isn't a single post yet. I guess it's a little late for pre tourney predictions, but no reason you can't have a take now.

Obviously everyone has to be looking at Day. The course is going to be super soft in the morning and the leaders are going to be able to fire some low scores. Wouldn't be shocked to see another 63 or maybe the first ever 62 in a major.

If you forced me to bet my money, I would go with Day first and Stenson second. Next I would take the other named front runners - Koepka or Kaymer. I don't see Walker or Streb holding up. Spieth has to shoot that 62 or 63 to be in consideration.

Hopefully they can finish it tomorrow and not Monday.

Reaction Score
Surprised there isn't a single post yet. I guess it's a little late for pre tourney predictions, but no reason you can't have a take now.

Obviously everyone has to be looking at Day. The course is going to be super soft in the morning and the leaders are going to be able to fire some low scores. Wouldn't be shocked to see another 63 or maybe the first ever 62 in a major.

If you forced me to bet my money, I would go with Day first and Stenson second. Next I would take the other named front runners - Koepka or Kaymer. I don't see Walker or Streb holding up. Spieth has to shoot that 62 or 63 to be in consideration.

Hopefully they can finish it tomorrow and not Monday.

Is there even a consideration of finishing tomorrow? I thought they were definitely putting Monday into play but didn't hear it confirmed.

Yeah Day and Stenson are where the eyes will be on, someone who can carry the ball a long way because the roll will be nil.

Reaction Score
The plan is to finish today weather permitting. Last group went off at 7:50 this morning. After 3rd round is over th y aren't regrouping the pairings they're just sending them right back out. If all goes well they might be finished by 8 tonight. Of course the forecast isn't great.

Reaction Score
By the way I think we can stop with the Rory/Tiger comparisons now too ok. I mean he not only had the last hole on Friday to get play the weekend but if he finished birdie-eagle he could have been back in it. He was a mere 210 in and hit it right and then dubbed his flop shot from the back right. The only consolation to his majors this year are good Sunday rounds but he finds a way to get lost.

Jason Day and maybe Stenson can become dominant for a while but the others, well none compare to Tiger. Day is the closest at this point.

Reaction Score
It would be impressive if Walker can hold off Day and Stenson. Walker has pretty much led the entire tournament too.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Funny, I thought I'd be more interested since I've played the course (a former CEO was a member). But other than couple of the domed greens (really a bitch to hold), visually, it's not that interesting a course, although it is tough. On top of that, anyone I cared about either missed the cut or would've needed a miracle. It usually doesn't feel like a major - I'd call it a distant 4th to the other three.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Funny, I thought I'd be more interested since I've played the course (a former CEO was a member). But other than couple of the domed greens (really a bitch to hold), visually, it's not that interesting a course, although it is tough. On top of that, anyone I cared about either missed the cut or would've needed a miracle. It usually doesn't feel like a major - I'd call it a distant 4th to the other three.
I don't know that you can call it a distant 4th - it's the only one that goes out of the way to make sure they have the top 100 players and isn't afraid of having larger fields to make sure they can pluck a couple of guys who are playing well but outside the top 60 or 80.

This year was really weird with the Olympics making it so soon after the Open and therefore not as much hype or buildup. Also the weather made it play a little differently where you didn't have the top two playing in the final pairing. But it was still an interesting final 18 where nobody could go low on what should have been a course they could take advantage of.

Really surprised that Walker held it together and pulled it out. I really expected him to wilt to Day and Stenson. Perhaps not playing in a final pairing with Day helped him. The decision to hit the three wood on the 18th was definitely suspect, but he got it done with a clutch three footer to win. I think he could have had a much less stressful 18th if he had layed up and played a wedge to within 20 feet. He made a bunch of clutch puts inside 8 feet that often sink a player with nerves.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Walker isn't going to be a fans choice too often so that may have been what made it less exciting. Along with the fact he played solid golf after faltering early morning yesterday. You would have heard a lot more about his comeback if he were Jason, Justin, Rory or Phil but he played brilliant golf from the late outward 9 in the morning though the 18th in the final round. I mean he should have hit 7 iron on his 2nd shot and not skunked a fairway wood to the right on 18, but he was in control the whole way. Day made it just a bit more exciting with that clutch eagle but JW had it in his hands and wasn't letting go.

Overall not a great major to view but still fun. Jimmy is just one of those "boring" guys on the tour and there are too many of those. Having said that being a great family guy is a great thing and I commend him. It's just easier to write about guys with a little more pizzazz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom