PG or not PG? | The Boneyard

PG or not PG?

Reaction Score
No, I’m not talking about movie ratings. But I’m reading a lot of comments on here about Player X not being a PG, or about how he’s a combo guard, etc. Ditto in NBA mock draft posts, where a lot of guys are just listed as “G.”

So, tell me, what’s your definition of a PG?

Reaction Score
A point guard has the majority (but not necessarily all) of the following traits:

Brings the ball up the court and controls the team's tempo.
Calls. communicates, and initiates plays.
Is the ball-handler in pick and roll situations.
Generates an advantage with the ball in hand in order to facilitate opportunities for the offense.
Averages >20% assist rate.

Reaction Score
A point guard has the majority (but not necessarily all) of the following traits:

Generates an advantage with the ball in hand in order to facilitate opportunities for the offense.
Has at least a 2:1 A/TO rate

Reaction Score
Has the ball in his hands at the top of the key tbe majority of possessions with the main role being to initiate the offense

I appreciate the interesting replies, but would you agree that these seem fairly subjective, other than the assist rate? If so, could that be why there's so much divided opinion on Andre Jackson (among many others) as PG? Maybe it's related to DH's 4-out/1-in strategy?

I'm just spitballing, but I wonder if that's why there are so few NBA first-round picks these days who are "pure" PGs, rather than combo guards. This year, only TyTy Washington and maybe Terquavion Smith are projected as first-round picks; last year there were only 3 (Jalen Suggs, Davion Mitchell, Tre Mann), and in 2020 there were 8 (Lamelo Ball, Killian Hayes, Tyrese Haliburton, Kira Lewis, Cole Anthony, Tyrese Maxey, Peyton Pritchard, and Malachi Flynn).

Reaction Score
I can't see AJ bringing the ball up the court with pressure (did he do it at all last season?) and I can't see him as a ball handler in pick and roll situations. He is a great rebounder and should focus on that and converting offensive rebounds into putbacks. You could have him at the top of the key passing the ball for a different look but not counting on him for outside Js or taking it to the hole. At least not that I have ever seen.

Reaction Score
I appreciate the interesting replies, but would you agree that these seem fairly subjective, other than the assist rate? If so, could that be why there's so much divided opinion on Andre Jackson (among many others) as PG? Maybe it's related to DH's 4-out/1-in strategy?

I'm just spitballing, but I wonder if that's why there are so few NBA first-round picks these days who are "pure" PGs, rather than combo guards. This year, only TyTy Washington and maybe Terquavion Smith are projected as first-round picks; last year there were only 3 (Jalen Suggs, Davion Mitchell, Tre Mann), and in 2020 there were 8 (Lamelo Ball, Killian Hayes, Tyrese Haliburton, Kira Lewis, Cole Anthony, Tyrese Maxey, Peyton Pritchard, and Malachi Flynn).
It's definitely subjective, and especially in the NBA teams are moving more away a pure PG and towards having multiple playmakers on the floor. I think as more and more people adjust to the modern there should be less disagreement. Just look at RJ Cole last year, there was a large faction who wouldn't consider him a PG just because he looked to score sometimes

I can't see AJ bringing the ball up the court with pressure (did he do it at all last season?) and I can't see him as a ball handler in pick and roll situations. He is a great rebounder and should focus on that and converting offensive rebounds into putbacks. You could have him at the top of the key passing the ball for a different look but not counting on him for outside Js or taking it to the hole. At least not that I have ever seen.
Yes, he brought the ball up the court a ton last year, especially against the press. You might recall early in the season how we were turning the ball over non-stop when teams pressed us. But once AJ was inserted to help out it significantly improved. Just because he doesn't dribble the ball to break a press doesn't mean he doesn't help doing it, it's a lot faster to make the long passes like he does

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Can dribble well
Can see the court well
Can understand the offense as well as the strengths and weaknesses of his teammates
Can breakdown defenses either though physical skill or mental acuity
Can take care of the ball
Can shoot if necessary
Can drive to the hoop if necessary
Can finish at the hoop if necessary

Has nothing to do with who brings the ball up in the absence of pressure
Has nothing to do with standing at the top of the key dribbling. In fact, standing at the top of the key dribbling is a negative attribute. Shouldn't be done for more than two dribbles. One or zero would be better.

Reaction Score
Can dribble well
Can see the court well
Can understand the offense as well as the strengths and weaknesses of his teammates
Can breakdown defenses either though physical skill or mental acuity
Can take care of the ball
Can shoot if necessary
Can drive to the hoop if necessary
Can finish at the hoop if necessary

Has nothing to do with who brings the ball up in the absence of pressure
Has nothing to do with standing at the top of the key dribbling. In fact, standing at the top of the key dribbling is a negative attribute. Shouldn't be done for more than two dribbles. One or zero would be better.
Easy. Just find us a young Oscar Robertson.

Reaction Score
hi-res-fc3af0ab8f45452f7c4500d0819a01c4_crop_north.jpg

A picture is worth a 1000 words

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's definitely subjective, and especially in the NBA teams are moving more away a pure PG and towards having multiple playmakers on the floor. I think as more and more people adjust to the modern there should be less disagreement. Just look at RJ Cole last year, there was a large faction who wouldn't consider him a PG just because he looked to score sometimes

Yes, he brought the ball up the court a ton last year, especially against the press. You might recall early in the season how we were turning the ball over non-stop when teams pressed us. But once AJ was inserted to help out it significantly improved. Just because he doesn't dribble the ball to break a press doesn't mean he doesn't help doing it, it's a lot faster to make the long passes like he does
Absolutely. Honestly if you are dribbling to break a press your team may be badly coached. You attack a press through the air. Even without a press, no one guy should bring the ball up and they shouldn’t dribble. If there is a player open ahead, move the ball through the air. Watching the Celtics and the ball rarely crosses half court by way of the dribble.

Too many here seem to have some archaic view of what a PG is. There is no one guy dribbling and creating shots, not in a modern offense. AJ’s ability to pass ahead accurately makes him devastating against a press. What you said about NBA teams is true, but I think it’s true for the upper echelon of college teams as well. Jackson is a point guard in the modern game, or to use Hurley’s word, a facilitator.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. Honestly if you are dribbling to break a press your team may be badly coached. You attack a press through the air. Even without a press, no one guy should bring the ball up and they shouldn’t dribble. If there is a player open ahead, move the ball through the air. Watching the Celtics and the ball rarely crosses half court by way of the dribble.

Too many here seem to have some archaic view of what a PG is. There is no one guy dribbling and creating shots, not in a modern offense. AJ’s ability to pass ahead accurately makes him devastating against a press. What you said about NBA teams is true, but I think it’s true for the upper echelon of college teams as well. Jackson is a point guard in the modern game, or to use Hurley’s word, a facilitator.
So what you’re saying is that we need multiple facilitators/ball handlers, regardless of whether AJ is/is not a “classic” PG?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So what you’re saying is that we need multiple facilitators/ball handlers, regardless of whether AJ is/is not a “classic” PG?
Yes. Newton, AJ, probably Alleyne, Diarra, we will see what Hawkins, Johnson and Karaban can do. But facilitators need scorers to pass to as well.

Reaction Score
I may be old school but I recall an elite college PG as follows:

1. Extension of the Coach (running offense, directing teammates to correct positions, and ensuring execution)

2. Leadership; Keeping the team level, instilling confidence, encourages teammates, has no fear, etc.

3. Decision Making: getting teammates the ball where they can operate, can 'easily handle defensive ball pressure, speed/slow control, clock awareness and has situational clarity.

All of our championship teams had an elite PG who exhibited the above qualities.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Whatever it is, halfway through a UConn season a bunch of people on here will declare who has the job on our team is "not a real point guard"

Reaction Score
The point guards coming into college nowadays are bums. We had a big miss in recruiting my guy JJ Starling. Notre Dame got a great point guard there.

I miss the 90s and 2000s where we were fortunate to see some great players coming into college.

It would be good for AJacks to be the main point guard of the team. He has the ability and most importantly he pushes the pace off misses.

No way Alleyne should start over Sam J or Karaban for next year. It would be a mistake.

Lineup: AJacks, Newton, Hawk, Sam J, and Sanogo should be the starting lineup to start the year.

Reaction Score
Whatever it is, halfway through a UConn season a bunch of people on here will declare who has the job on our team is "not a real point guard"
Not so! (as long as we’re 15-0 and ranked in top 10 )

Reaction Score
You've seen none of the three of these people play any meaningful minutes in our offense.
Regardless of starters at the start of the season (or really at any point), I’d love it if we had the depth to have at least 8 guys getting meaningful PT.

Reaction Score
No, I’m not talking about movie ratings. But I’m reading a lot of comments on here about Player X not being a PG, or about how he’s a combo guard, etc. Ditto in NBA mock draft posts, where a lot of guys are just listed as “G.”

So, tell me, what’s your definition of a PG?
Magic Johnson.

Reaction Score
Yes. Newton, AJ, probably Alleyne, Diarra, we will see what Hawkins, Johnson and Karaban can do. But facilitators need scorers to pass to as well.

Add to it all of these guys have good size and can see over traps. Huge fan of big guards as long as they can stay in control.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom