PG for this season: Paige, Azzi, KK, Kaitlyn, Morgan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

PG for this season: Paige, Azzi, KK, Kaitlyn, Morgan

Reaction Score
For me, Chen and KK are the perfect PG combo.

KK is a speedy slasher and is defense minded. She just needs to get control of her driving to increase efficiency. She is the go to when teams have a similar speedy PG or when we want to pressure and be a heavy transition offense. In certain circumstances she could be the PG you want to start so we can overwhelm an opponent out the gate.

Chen on the other hand is not as fast but is more of an orchestrator who is scoring minded. I think she is the go to when we need to operate in the half court and be deliberate. I feel like she will be the best choice when in a tight game but we are up by like 5-10 points and we just want to work the clock to the end without doing anything crazy. I think she will be good as the PG when the newbies are in and need a "mom" to keep them together.

Paige of course is the come back kid PG when all hell has broken loose and we are behind in the 4th. I hope that never happens this year.

Azzi for me is like Nurse. She can on occasion bring the ball up and run some offense as a change up but not the official PG. We need her focused on scoring and hunting shots with no mercy.

Chelli will get some mop up minutes at PG in BE play but I think a facilitating 3 guard is her ultimate destiny at UConn. Caroline was her highschool's de facto PG but that didn't mean she is a PG at UConn.

Reaction Score
Two problems are that she has had multiple injuries since then and that there are 3 better-suited players on the roster.
I totally get the "multiple injuries" part and that we have 3 players that could fill the role of pg. I just don't get people acting like Azzi can't play that pg position. She has done it before and if she needed to play that role again, she could.

Reaction Score
While I agree that Morgan is not likely to play point for us, the fact that she is a capable pg can only be a good thing overall. Those skills make her better at whatever position she plays. Her passing, ball handling and court awareness will show up whether she’s playing the 1, 2, 3, or 4! I think Sarah has many of these same skills and could probably, in a pinch, play pg herself in an emergency. Allie is clearly a shooting guard but she too is a capable ball handler and passer. The point is, Geno loves players who are versatile and who can play multiple positions/roles on the court! I can only imagine the anticipation he and Chris must be feeling with this roster!
I’m with MooseJaw, counting the days! I don’t think I’ve ever felt this level of anticipation for a UConn season!

Reaction Score
It is pretty easy to narrow this question to three not five. Azzi has never been and I suspect will never be a PG. She was like a deer in the headlights against the Ohio State press and has generally had a rate of assists that is a little low for a SG much less a PG. To her credit her turnovers are relatively low, but she is not a creative passer that can make things happen for others.

She is a great SG and any other position is a significant falloff for her. The three because she is not much of a rebounder. Of all the many guard candidates she should be kept mostly at the 2. Morgan has little chance of playing major minutes at the point as well. Not because she couldn't, but because we have three proven players that can play the point in Paige, KK and Kaitlin.

Presuming Azzi when healthy and Paige will be two of the three starters at 1-3, what position Paige plays depends on what third player fits best with those two. If that third starter was the 3, be it Caroline, Morgan, Ash, Q or even Allie, then Paige plays the point. If that third starter is KK or Kaitlin, they take the point and Paige plays the 3.

We shouldn't have to play people out of their best position very often because of Paige being able to be very effective 1-4. KK might benefit more this year by having a higher percentage of her minutes at the point with Nika gone. Kaitlin can swing between 1 and 2. Ash might have to continue to get her minutes more at the 3 because of Azzi, when she might be best at the 2, but of course she had to do that last year too. Caroline and Morgan can concentrate on being mostly 3's, but occasionally 4's in a small ball lineup, but shouldn't be needed much at the 2.

1. Everyone had that "deer" in the headlight moment in that game against Ohio State a couple of years ago, not just Azzi.

2). Unless you are 6'4 or taller, the game of basketball has become positionless. Sure, you will have some players that are best at X position but that just depends on so many other factors.

3). It will be interesting to see who plays where out there.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
IMHO Chen will be the starting PG. 4 years elite experience playing under Carla Berube. I do think Paige will have the ball in her hands a LOT UNLESS Chen shows she's a tremendous decision and play maker.

By that I mean in tight spots, Paige was the only one really who could be trusted to make the best decision - create for herself and shoot, or pass to an open teammate. If Caitlyn shows she's equally as capable (in a different way), it will free up Paige to be dynamic away from the ball...

Even as I type this I wonder if UConn will be better off with the ball in Paige's hands. A lot of options and I don't think even Geno knows how it will all pan out. SO many question marks. Who comes back from the summer with a huge leap in play level? Who's 100% healthy? Just how good are the freshmen, really?

For the most part I see no more than 3 primary ball handlers, period. Caitlyn, KK, and Paige. Of course the offense can be initiated by others, but I think those not only are the 3 best ball handlers, but the best decision makers with a PG mindset.

This team will have a tremendous amount of players who can play multiple positions, and play many different ways. But the 3 I mentioned are the only PG's this season. Others can play different positions...

Reaction Score
Geno could use Cheli (as time goes on) as a transition/fast break passer, as that was probably her best use of court vision in HS.
I may be misreading this remark, but if you mean that Morgan wasn't the primary PG on Mitty in HS, that's a mistake. I'm mainly relying on my memory of games from her senior season, and she was the starting PG and the floor general in pretty much every game. Her back up spelled her for a few minutes only.

I think Cheli and Ziebell have the same odds of seeing time at pg. Zilch.
And on this point, @Alydar may be right for this season. But it wouldn't surprise me if Morgan saw some minutes at pg next season. She definitely has the drive and the skills for it. I often assume that everyone has seen her play -- if you haven't, a number of her games are still findable on YouTube. They are eye-opening. And we know from the way he used Evina that Geno likes the idea of a big PG, and Morgan has a lot of the same skill set Evina has and the same drive and sense of the moment. Picture a PG with Evina's head and heart for the position and roughly the dimensions of Fran Belibi.

Reaction Score
I may be misreading this remark, but if you mean that Morgan wasn't the primary PG on Mitty in HS, that's a mistake. I'm mainly relying on my memory of games from her senior season, and she was the starting PG and the floor general in pretty much every game. Her back up spelled her for a few minutes only.
Huh? No I meant at UCONN she won’t be the primary PG.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well she didn’t against Iowa and we know how that ended.
Yea. That last pay was set up to screen off Paige’s defender with Nika then handing her the ball in a position to win the game. Unfortunately, Aaliyah was called for a moving screen. It would have been simpler to just let Paige bring the ball up the court and set a high screen with Aaliyah, allowing Paige to read the defense and create something. Either way, that last play was set up for Paige to win the game.

Reaction Score
If Chen makes the adjustments needed to be UConn's PG, then I think the job is hers, with KK for backup. Paige is too important to bring the ball down court every play and it is better for the offense if she is free to get open for a shot or a pass. Lots of talent on this team makes the opportunity to run the floor and bring in replacements. I think we will see 2 or 3 different PG's in a game...
Paige is clearly the best PG on the team. She's also the best SG/wing on the team. Bringing the ball up court when the defense is being pesky burns energy. I want Paige burning her energy scoring, not trying to shake off pesky defender. I want Paige to receive the first pass, not make the first pass. With the other legitimate PGs on this team there is very little reason to play Paige in that position on a regular basis.

I think Chen is going to be a nice surprise and do very well this season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Paige is clearly the best PG on the team. She's also the best SG/wing on the team. Bringing the ball up court when the defense is being pesky burns energy. I want Paige burning her energy scoring, not trying to shake off pesky defender. I want Paige to receive the first pass, not make the first pass. With the other legitimate PGs on this team there is very little reason to play Paige in that position on a regular basis.

As this past year demonstrated, Paige is also the best power forward on the team….;)

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score

chen doing very well would not be a surprise. anything else would be.

Reaction Score

I am loving the addition of Chen to the roster. I just love her confidence and attacking mindset! Hopefully during fall workouts, the other PGs are asserting themselves and making it tough on everybody! So, when the coaches are looking at rotations. We got some serious talent on this roster.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As this past year demonstrated, Paige is also the best power forward on the team….;)
While I joke about Paige at PF again this season, it’s not outside the realm of possibility. We’ve all concluded that UConn’s lineup will include some combination of Jana with Ice/Sarah, with Aubrey coming back and Ayanna healthy. But what if UConn’s best lineup is once again a Big (Jana?) and 4 guards (Paige, Kaitlyn, Ashlynn, KK or Azzi)?

If everyone is healthy, Geno will have a dizzying array of options.

Reaction Score
While I joke about Paige at PF again this season, it’s not outside the realm of possibility. We’ve all concluded that UConn’s lineup will include some combination of Jana with Ice/Sarah, with Aubrey coming back and Ayanna healthy. But what if UConn’s best lineup is once again a Big (Jana?) and 4 guards (Paige, Kaitlyn, Ashlynn, KK or Azzi)?

If everyone is healthy, Geno will have a dizzying array of options.
This is the part that has me so excited about this season. If everyone is healthy and playing with a "player led" mindset vs a "coach led" mindset, I see great things for this team. We could be dangerous! I just keep thinking about how dangerous Ayanna is going to be. We only got a small peek. She still has so much potential. Same with Q, Ashlynn, KK, and Ice. And the newbies! OMG!! They could be scary as well.

Reaction Score
Paige is the best shooting guard (and PG) in the game. Azzi may well become that, but right now, she is definitely behind Paige. I would also have to say she is behind Juju as well.
You're right about Paige, obviously. The percentages all support it. But I wonder why that is so. Dawn says Paige is a very selective as a shooter and rarely takes bad shots. This is why she often passes or drives instead of hoisting up a 3 pointer. Now, I ask myself, is that really what a, SG is?

Much of the ballyhoo about Azzi coming out of high school was about how perfect her form is and how quickly she can get her shot off on the perimeter. As Geno said on a couple of occasions, the form is always the same and she catches the ball ready to shoot. What I'm getting at is that Geno doesn't want her to catch the ball on the perimeter and weigh her options. He wants her to shoot, and to keep shooting even through slumps. Maybe it's just me, but this is what I have always thought a shooting guard is. And if I'm right, we might expect her percentages will be a little lower than Paige's.

And, by the way, this is exactly how Q was used in high school. Her coach stationed her on the wing for almost every offensive play in catch-and-shoot position. That was her assignment. They ran very few (if any) plays for her other than this.

As for Juju, I'm not sure she really is an SG. I mean, granted that she's not a PG, though she could certainly play that position if asked, but it would be a waste of her talents. She gets most of her points mixing it up in the paint and from the free throw line. Plus her shooting percentages are pretty low except for free throws. And this, by the way, seemed to me to be the main weakness of SC last season. Gottlieb didn't want to use Juju as a PG, but didn't have any great alternatives -- certainly not Padilla or Williams, or even Forbes who didn't really come on as a consistent scorer until the second half of the season. I wonder if getting Van Oelhofen will change that calculus for them this season. She's also more of an SG at heart, even if the shooting percentages do not bear this out. But she's got better PG skills than who Gottlieb could turn to last season.

And one last thought concerning Allie. She was the steadiest ball handler on her team in high school and so could be mistaken for a PG. She has the shooting skills to be understood as a 'shooting' guard. But what she really is, instead of these, is a big kid who can score through contact and who can also shoot the 3 well. In this respect, I think of her as sort of like a slightly smaller Caroline.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the shoot-dribble-pass halfcourt read-and-react motion offense, I would distinguish passes into two kinds: pass (motion) and pass (point).
  • pass (motion) is the generic pass to move the defense;
  • pass (point) is the initial pass in the sequence leading to a shot once an offensive opportunity has been recognized.
All Geno-recruited players have the requisite BBIQ and skills for both types of passes, but “point” types have better pass (point) abilities than others. Bonedog’s initial post identifies these players.

The number of point guards that can beat a full court press is smaller. Paige demonstrated one way to do this in the 3-(point) guard lineup in a post-Ohio State game (vs Providence in 2024 BET). Morgan can be the Paige analog in beating the press (or in a 3-4 guard lineup), but most likely not this year.

In a running game, Sarah and Morgan (and Paige) can be especially lethal after a rebound in initiating the fastbreak towards streaking players at the other end.

Geno likes to control pace that increases odds of winning. And he likes quick surgical starts. With an efficient offense, this means a faster pace (more possessions), hence the need for quick downhill point guards, which Nika was and which KK and Kaitlyn are. So, for most possessions, KK or Kaitlyn will be bringing up the ball.

This year, with clear moving threats at the 3-point line and in the lane, the mid-range will be especially open (as will backdoor cuts, pick-and-rolls/pops, high-low). Kaitlyn is crafty in the mid-range. I suspect, with better offensive teammates, Kaitlyn’s 3PT% will increase, as will everyone’s, including KK’s. KK has better opportunities this year to concentrate on improving her offense.

For the above reasons, and because Kaitlyn and KK are defensive menaces that can matchup defensively against ND and Southern California, that I suspect Geno’s Day 1 starting lineup would be Kaitlyn, KK, Paige, Sarah and Jana.

I’ve suggested before that this year’s team bears some resemblance to TASSK’s first year, which resulted in the running game being a major weapon for UConn in its frontloaded brutal OOC schedule. One key difference is the wealth this year’s team has in seasoned point guards and players with half-court point abilities.

Reaction Score
You're right about Paige, obviously. The percentages all support it. But I wonder why that is so. Dawn says Paige is a very selective as a shooter and rarely takes bad shots. This is why she often passes or drives instead of hoisting up a 3 pointer. Now, I ask myself, is that really what a, SG is?

Much of the ballyhoo about Azzi coming out of high school was about how perfect her form is and how quickly she can get her shot off on the perimeter. As Geno said on a couple of occasions, the form is always the same and she catches the ball ready to shoot. What I'm getting at is that Geno doesn't want her to catch the ball on the perimeter and weigh her options. He wants her to shoot, and to keep shooting even through slumps. Maybe it's just me, but this is what I have always thought a shooting guard is. And if I'm right, we might expect her percentages will be a little lower than Paige's.

And, by the way, this is exactly how Q was used in high school. Her coach stationed her on the wing for almost every offensive play in catch-and-shoot position. That was her assignment. They ran very few (if any) plays for her other than this.

As for Juju, I'm not sure she really is an SG. I mean, granted that she's not a PG, though she could certainly play that position if asked, but it would be a waste of her talents. She gets most of her points mixing it up in the paint and from the free throw line. Plus her shooting percentages are pretty low except for free throws. And this, by the way, seemed to me to be the main weakness of SC last season. Gottlieb didn't want to use Juju as a PG, but didn't have any great alternatives -- certainly not Padilla or Williams, or even Forbes who didn't really come on as a consistent scorer until the second half of the season. I wonder if getting Van Oelhofen will change that calculus for them this season. She's also more of an SG at heart, even if the shooting percentages do not bear this out. But she's got better PG skills than who Gottlieb could turn to last season.

And one last thought concerning Allie. She was the steadiest ball handler on her team in high school and so could be mistaken for a PG. She has the shooting skills to be understood as a 'shooting' guard. But what she really is, instead of these, is a big kid who can score through contact and who can also shoot the 3 well. In this respect, I think of her as sort of like a slightly smaller Caroline.
I would refine your points on Azzi by adding:
  • Azzi in the Stewie-KML teams would be comparably lethal to KML;
  • the available players in Azzi’s playing seasons (excluding games where Azzi was clearly hobbled but was playing) did not move the defense quite as well, and led to Azzi being comparatively more tightly guarded than KML was.

Reaction Score
the available players in Azzi’s playing seasons (excluding games where Azzi was clearly hobbled but was playing) did not move the defense quite as well, and led to Azzi being comparatively more tightly guarded than KML was.
Absolutely right. I can think of a few exceptions to this, but not many and generally against teams who didn't matchup well with UConn's athletes. Azzi has yet to benefit from having a full season with a stable team that can hone its offense into a fine machine. This is what we want to see this year: the Paige & Azzi show!

Now for the exceptions that prove the rule:
  • In her freshman season, she dominated Tennessee and Marquette in dazzling second half performances. And in the tournament, once Paige had returned, she could count on Paige Evina and Christyn to keep defenses honest.
  • The games against NC State and Stanford were against top defenses and it was a little harder for Paige Evina Christyn to move those defenses off Azzi. Finally, in the 4th quarter and two overtime periods, they were able to take over. Against Stanford, the defense was even better and she was held in check... until those late free throws she sank to close them out.
  • In her sophomore year, she dominated NC State Texas Duke and Iowa before her injury, and in part this was because in addition to Nika and Aaliyah, she had Lou to perplex otherwise fine defenses. In the Iowa game, she outplayed Clark at a moment when they were the chief contenders for NPOY, early though it was. Once she returned from the knee injury -- too early, in my view -- teams feared her shot and she used this to open up things for the rest of the team. It wasn't until the second half of the Baylor game that she finally found her legs and effectively destroyed Baylor singlehandedly with a 17 pt third quarter (iirc).
This could be our last shot at the Paige & Azzi show and I am as nervous (and happy) as a cat at the prospect. I really want to see what the two BFFs can do together given the chance.

Reaction Score

In regard to Paige, what is your deintion of a sg? Taking bad shots? In her frosh year she took 4.8 three's per game. Her soph year-- 3. This past year 5.2. That disqualifies her from either being a SG or SF or Wing?

In regard to Azzi, Geno does want her to weigh her options if she isn't open. In addition, she did show in her soph year that she can put the ball on the floor. I count even one dribble then take a shot as "putting the ball on the floor," though. :) I do specifically recall Iowa playing a Triangle-and-Two on her and Lou, she did take a dribble or two. And on one play she drove to teh basket and hit a floater.

Azzi is built strong for her size. When she gets her groove back - she's big-time.

Reaction Score
In regard to Paige, what is your deintion of a sg? Taking bad shots? In her frosh year she took 4.8 three's per game. Her soph year-- 3. This past year 5.2. That disqualifies her from either being a SG or SF or Wing?

In regard to Azzi, Geno does want her to weigh her options if she isn't open. In addition, she did show in her soph year that she can put the ball on the floor. I count even one dribble then take a shot as "putting the ball on the floor," though. :) I do specifically recall Iowa playing a Triangle-and-Two on her and Lou, she did take a dribble or two. And on one play she drove to teh basket and hit a floater.

Azzi is built strong for her size. When she gets her groove back - she's big-time.
We're straying mighty close to that other discussion on whether the traditional position designations are still useful. :D But you already know what I think about this.

As for whether Paige is an SG or not, you can take that up with Dawn. I have no opinion. However, Geno has said about Azzi (and Caroline) that he wishes they would not aim for perfection and simply shoot the ball whenever they get it. Q has this mentality, I think. And, this is not about taking shots that aren't open, or dribbling once. That's a total red herring in this discussion.

Reaction Score
For the above reasons, and because Kaitlyn and KK are defensive menaces that can matchup defensively against ND and Southern California, that I suspect Geno’s Day 1 starting lineup would be Kaitlyn, KK, Paige, Sarah and Jana.
IMO Geno liked to feature offense and the 3-point shot more than Defense. I don't know much about the SoCal team but as for ND, imo Geno can use that lineup as you say but I recall many years ago Chris Dailey on WTIC stating that UCONN prefers to have teams forced to match up to them. So that game on Dec 12th Azzi should be healthy enough and her game is more mirrored by Ashlynn. While Kaitlyn's 3pt shot will get better - it wasn't good unlike Lou from Fairfeild when she came to UCONN she was already a 40% 3pt shooter.

If you have Ashlynn, Paige, and Sarah on the floor for example, then this grouping would allow Kaitlyn or KK to be more of what they like to do, and that's penetrate.

So, I've had your same starting lineup with the exception of Ashlynn over KK (then eventually Azzi over Ashlynn). Let's see how ND can stop our lineup. Though ND is very fomidable.

Reaction Score
We're straying mighty close to that other discussion on whether the traditional position designations are still useful. :D But you already know what I think about this.

As for whether Paige is an SG or not, you can take that up with Dawn. I have no opinion. However, Geno has said about Azzi (and Caroline) that he wishes they would not aim for perfection and simply shoot the ball whenever they get it. Q has this mentality, I think. And, this is not about taking shots that aren't open, or dribbling once. That's a total red herring in this discussion.
Yes I know. But you brought up though the qeustion about SG. So I wanted your further take. And I had asked why you think Paige wasnt a SG? I just added Wing/SF. You brought up SG, not Dawn. .. Dawn only mentioned she doesn't take bad shots. Thus my question to you about your interpretation as to why you felt Paige wasn't a sg.

As far as Geno, I believe you are taking his comment way too literal. So,if Azzi is being tightly guarded you think he meant for Azzi to take the shot anyway rather than get the ball back to Paige, for example? So ofc he wants her to weigh her options.

If Geno wanted Paige and Azzi just to shoot then we'd see then take 30+ shots a game like UCONN did last year in Exhibtion with Azzi over the summer.

Reaction Score
Yes I know. But you brought up though the qeustion about SG. So I wanted your further take. And I had asked why you think Paige wasnt a SG? I just added Wing/SF. You brought up SG, not Dawn. .. Dawn only mentioned she doesn't take bad shots. Thus my question to you about your interpretation as to why you felt Paige wasn't a sg.

As far as Geno, I believe you are taking his comment way too literal. So,if Azzi is being tightly guarded you think he meant for Azzi to take the shot anyway rather than get the ball back to Paige, for example? So ofc he wants her to weigh her options.

If Geno wanted Paige and Azzi just to shoot then we'd see then take 30+ shots a game like UCONN did last year in Exhibtion with Azzi over the summer.
I've heard Geno talk about Azzi's shooting decisions. What I took from it was she likes to take shots that have a 95-99% chance of going in and he'd like her to move that number down to taking shots that have like an 80% chance of going in. I've never thought that he wants Azzi to become a CC or Arike and take any shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom