PF/C Juwan Durham (Signed LOI on 11/11) | Page 29 | The Boneyard

PF/C Juwan Durham (Signed LOI on 11/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kid is more well spoken than the majority of adults, impressive young man.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
My only regret is I didn't get to see him paly down here in Tampa Bay. We've got excellent doctor's down here so hopefully after surgery, physical therapy and some work on his kinetics/mechanics he will be better than ever.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
that was probably already posted but hope the kid recovers fully, seems like a great kid... if he plays the four he would be a huge mismatch and at the 5 (i see brimah if he stays, enoch there)... if he learns a post up game the shooters around him will benefit

Reaction Score
It would be great if he could actually step in to be a stretch 4 type player, like DD was. We have seen videos of Facey and Enoch hitting outside shots but that's not their in-game ability as if now. A stretch 4 is a big advantage

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

There's a lot of Charlie V. type moves in that video. A bit more athletic to boot.

Hope he heals well. I wouldn't mind at all if he sits out all next year redshirting. The last thing UConn needs is for the injuries to become chronic.

Reaction Score
The kid will be a really good basketball player if he can stay healthy, really good! Hope he does. As for stretch 4, 6'10" three or shrinking 4 how about we just bring guys in and throw them on the court to play basketball? It's not like try outs when you're a kid and the coach looks at you and says "your tall you get in the middle and put your hands up."

KO October 2016 : "Juwan, do me a favor and run over to the stretch 4 spot on the floor for now until we get you 4 more teammates"

:oops:

Reaction Score
The kid will be a really good basketball player if he can stay healthy, really good! Hope he does. As for stretch 4, 6'10" three or shrinking 4 how about we just bring guys in and throw them on the court to play basketball? It's not like try outs when you're a kid and the coach looks at you and says "your tall you get in the middle and put your hands up."

KO October 2016 : "Juwan, do me a favor and run over to the stretch 4 spot on the floor for now until we get you 4 more teammates"

:oops:
To some extent I agree, however I think with two guys that should make their money driving the ball (AG and JA) as well as Purvis if he stays, having a four that can open up the floor as an outside threat will be a big help to next year's team. To your point though, that shouldn't come at the expense of forcing a square peg in a round hole if it's not working.

Reaction Score
Eval from 2013, but still a good read. Can't wait for this kid to get healthy.

http://ontheradarhoops.com/otrhoopsreport-uconn-2016-recruiting-class-january-8-2016/

OTRHoopsReport.com Eval by Brandon Clay
October 5, 2013 USA Basketball Developmental Mini-Camp (Colorado Springs, Colo.)

Durham’s length and athleticism reminds us of a young John Henson. Ironically, Henson also finished his high school career in Tampa. Durham, a class of 2016 graduate, is a legitimate option at the power forward position. We project the five-star caliber prospect’s skill set to allow him to knock down the open jumpshot as the trail post player in the secondary transition break. Durham hit a 3-pointer during the Sunday morning session in rhythm. He has a bit of hitch in his shooting mechanics but it did not prevent him from shooting the ball with confidence. Defensively, he’s got bounce to his step and was a factor guarding the inbounds as well as trapping the first pass during the press breakdown segment on Sunday. Durham’s longterm projection will depend on his willingness to affect the game on both ends as he did here.

Reaction Score
Hmm. On one hand, with Brimah coming back, Facey and Enoch a year older, Diarra entering the fold, with DHam (he is obviously coming back) and Larrier able to slide to the stretch 4 at times, I don't think we should be too worried about the 4/5. On the other, as we have seen with Purvis, a redshirt doesn't necessarily help a guy's on-court, game-day performance (hope Larrier keeps that from becoming a trend).

Reaction Score
Hmm. On one hand, with Brimah coming back, Facey and Enoch a year older, Diarra entering the fold, with DHam (he is obviously coming back) and Larrier able to slide to the stretch 4 at times, I don't think we should be too worried about the 4/5. On the other, as we have seen with Purvis, a redshirt doesn't necessarily help a guy's on-court, game-day performance (hope Larrier keeps that from becoming a trend).
I mostly agree with your point, but I would think a redshirt would be more beneficial for someone jumping from high school to college as opposed to the freshman to sophomore.

More than anything, though, a redshirt would allow him to get healthy and back up to speed at his own pace. Unless he comes in and shines right away, I think this route makes a lot of sense, especially when considering how many options there are at PF.

But this is one of those situations where they'll likely cross that bridge when they get there.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I would be very ameniable to Durham redshirting.

Risk/Reward leans way towards a redshirt. Get him healthy and fully cleared to condition and practice at full strength for all his playing years at Storrs.

Reaction Score
I mostly agree with your point, but I would think a redshirt would be more beneficial for someone jumping from high school to college as opposed to the freshman to sophomore.

More than anything, though, a redshirt would allow him to get healthy and back up to speed at his own pace. Unless he comes in and shines right away, I think this route makes a lot of sense, especially when considering how many options there are at PF.

But this is one of those situations where they'll likely cross that bridge when they get there.
If he's healthy I prefer he plays. Sitting out much of 3 years can't be good for his development. I doubt he'll be effective for the first half of the season but at least he gets his feet wet in real competition.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Center: Brimah, Durham
Power Forward: Facey, Enoch, Diarra

We'd go four deep at big next year without Durham. If that's not enough, we could always bring in a grad transfer for depth purposes. Not to mention if Hamilton is back, he can play the four, as could Jackson. Adding a 4/5 star recruit/big man who would fit greatly with Brown, both as freshman, could lead to an elite big man pairing for years to come(possibly 4). Huge fan of Durham taking a year to get 100% healthy, and getting to know the team and system. Not to mention he needs to get bigger/stronger, a year with our strength coach would do him much good.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You have Enoch's and Durham's positions flipped.
Durham is a center with skill, that doesn't make him a powerforward. Enoch plays center imo out of need right now. He's the hieght, and has the game of a four.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Power forwards in KO's system are generally around 6'8ish(Daniels, facey, Miller). When Durham and brown get here, I think they'll generally play center, as they're the taller bigs(Brimah, Nolan, and Enoch this year when necessary).

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
But I do think Durham and Brown would fit well in a front court together, which would probably lead to Ollie playing a 6'11 PF for the first time.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Durham is a center with skill, that doesn't make him a powerforward. Enoch plays center imo out of need right now. He's the hieght, and has the game of a four.
Completely disagree. 90% of Enoch's touches have been on the block, and he has a reliable jump hook with either hand. Plus I don't think he's hit a jumper this year.

Not to mention he's 6-foot-11, 250 lbs with a 7-foot-5 wingspan. Dude's a pure center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom