Petition to Overturn Men's Basketball Ban | The Boneyard

Petition to Overturn Men's Basketball Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hi fellow Boneyarders,

A few months ago, I started a petition to get the mens basketball ban overturned. It's unfair the way they are being punished for past APR scores that none of the current team had a part in. Since posting on boneyard, I got about 260 signatures in 2 days, but we need a lot more, so I'm going to all the forums and hoping people will sign, repost, Tweet, facebook, contact people they know, etc. We have about 2 weeks to get it done! Thanks!!!

http://www.change.org/petitions/nat...ciation-ncaa-overturn-ban-on-uconn-basketball

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For those who don't know what this is about - the NCAA decided to punish the UConn men retroactively for a couple years bad APRs. Even though the APR has been improving, the NCAA decided to punish UConn with a post-season ban this year for something that happened in, I believe, 2010. Then the Big East chimed in and banned the guys from the Big East tournament. The men's team is playing for pride this year and doing a darned good job of it.

Reaction Score
It won't help they're afraid UConn might win the Big East tournament then they'd have egg on their faces.

Reaction Score
Absolutely agree that the ban is entirely unfair to the current, quite commendable, group of players. But "two weeks to get it done" is a bit misleading. I'm afraid you could get two million signatures and the NCAA wouldn't change its mind. Even worse, the Big East likely wouldn't change its mind, i.e., the minds of the schools that are bailing and leaving UConn behind.

Take some succor in the fact that Mr. Emmert may get his due following the Miami fiasco.

Reaction Score
The ban is/was unfair for the men's program, especially considering how screwed up the NCAA is and has become. But, as someone already stated, I look at the timing issue. We do not have enough time to get the NCAA to reconsider their actions against our beloved UConn men's basketball program. The second thing, I look at the ban as a something of a teachable moment. A "life" lesson for our current fellas to learn from. Life isn't going to be fair, like they really needed a reminder of that. But learn from this ban and get our house in order both on the court and in the classroom.

Reaction Score
As far as any college administration is concerned, a successful basketball program is all about alumni donations.

It was UCONN (Calhoun and the (then) administration) who screwed up by not maintaining standards.
They could have avoided penalties by tossing academic slackers off the team. It wouldn't be rocket science to monitor how each player is doing as each semester progresses (I bet they are doing it now). I think they believed another NC was in the wings and they didn't want to sidetrack it. They took a chance and lost.

What SHOULD the penalty be ? Perhaps a stiff monetary fine, but I don't think that remedy is available under current rules.
That would be more fair to the current team.

If there were to be no penalties to the program, academic requirements would be meaningless.

Reaction Score
Loss of scholarships, suspension of players with low APR scores? Something that doesn't punish the players who weren't involved. Sutherland from Syracuse had academic issues this season and was suspended, but they let him back to play

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As far as any college administration is concerned, a successful basketball program is all about alumni donations.

It was UCONN (Calhoun and the (then) administration) who screwed up by not maintaining standards.
They could have avoided penalties by tossing academic slackers off the team. It wouldn't be rocket science to monitor how each player is doing as each semester progresses (I bet they are doing it now). I think they believed another NC was in the wings and they didn't want to sidetrack it. They took a chance and lost.

What SHOULD the penalty be ? Perhaps a stiff monetary fine, but I don't think that remedy is available under current rules.

If there were to be no penalties to the program, academic requirements would be meaningless.
Thing is, it wasn't slackers that caused the problems, it was that JC developed his players to the point where they could declare for the NBA draft. That counts against the school.

What's really unfair is that UConn and some directional ,forget which one, werethe only schools punished. I want to know how the One And Done Factory, aka Kentucky, got a free pass.

Reaction Score
Thing is, it wasn't slackers that caused the problems, it was that JC developed his players to the point where they could declare for the NBA draft. That counts against the school.

What's really unfair is that UConn and some directional ,forget which one, werethe only schools punished. I want to know how the One And Done Factory, aka Kentucky, got a free pass.

Wasn't the problem that the UCONN one and doners stopped going to class ? Not sure.

Reaction Score
They were already punished by a loss of scholarships...and the rolling APR is bull...it would be like you getting a speeding ticket for going 70 in a 55 3 years ago, paying your fine and moving on. Now a law is passed saying anyone going 15 miles over the speed limit over the past 4 years will lose his license for a year. Fair, right? Schools were also supposed to be considered for waivers from the ban if they did 2 things...improve on their APR and suggest their own penalties. Uconn did both and were denied. They improved more than other schools and the other schools bans were reversed. The Big East also stiffed them. Syracuse was banned from tourney play and the BE still allowed them to play in the BE tourney. There was no precedent for banning Uconn.,,other than not wanting us to win again.

Reaction Score
Wasn't the problem that the UCONN one and doners stopped going to class ? Not sure.
That was part of it. You used to get punished when a player left early matter what (which makes no sense), but the NCAA changed the rule later on so that school's aren't docked points if a guy leaves in good academic standing.

The biggest issue I have is that the APR is based on either two-year or four-year scores - but the NCAA chose not to use the two most recent years. If they decided to use 2010-11 and 2011-12, the team would easily qualify for the tournament.

Reaction Score
But the biggest issue that way, is often..Calhoun developed players so that his seniors and juniors would be close to being drafted. AKA, they had to go to camps and such, so of course they'd miss class. A freshman could leave in good academic standing. But a senior had to graduate in order to not have points docked. This presented a lot of problems. Even a kid like Gavin Edwards, who got good grades his entire Uconn career, ended up losing Uconn a point because he was trying to get in the NBA or Europe.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
They were already punished by a loss of scholarships...and the rolling APR is bull...it would be like you getting a speeding ticket for going 70 in a 55 3 years ago, paying your fine and moving on. Now a law is passed saying anyone going 15 miles over the speed limit over the past 4 years will lose his license for a year. Fair, right? Schools were also supposed to be considered for waivers from the ban if they did 2 things...improve on their APR and suggest their own penalties. Uconn did both and were denied. They improved more than other schools and the other schools bans were reversed. The Big East also stiffed them. Syracuse was banned from tourney play and the BE still allowed them to play in the BE tourney. There was no precedent for banning Uconn.,,other than not wanting us to win again.

Hey Judy...the more I think about it the more pissed off I get. Your analogy of the retroactive speeding ticket is spot on and it shows just how unfair this was. Furthermore, UConn is entitled to be treated the same as everyone else. If other schools were given waivers because they demonstrated improvement in their APR...then UConn should have been afforded the same consideration as the other schools. This singling out of UConn to make an example of whatever the reason is is disgraceful. Since UConn was already punished with the loss of scholarships then this was nothing more than overkill. Lately, I get to feeling like UConn is the red-haired step-child in the room.

Take the women's side of things...Bonita Spence and Dee Kantor and any host of newbies who always seem to be cutting their teeth during UConn's bigger games. Everywhere else in the country teams are accused of having referees who engage in home-cooking. At UConn we have to be the only place in the country where our referees cook for the visiting team. Sometimes it appears like we can't get a call in our own house...

Reaction Score
Of course there is bad blood between the NCAA president Mark Emerett and Jim Calhoun since his old days at Uconn...so no one here really thought we had a shot at playing in the tourney this year. The worst part is they answer to no one. North Carolina had players with passing grades...in classes that they didn't really take and that was ok. The NCAA sent and investigator to look into it.., who was a former Tar Heel football player...which is in direct violation of its own rules. It's a ridiculous circus but the worst part is that it keeps one of the Big East best teams out its last tourney.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Of course there is bad blood between the NCAA president Mark Emerett and Jim Calhoun since his old days at Uconn...so no one here really thought we had a shot at playing in the tourney this year. The worst part is they answer to no one. North Carolina had players with passing grades...in classes that they didn't really take and that was ok. The NCAA sent and investigator to look into it.., who was a former Tar Heel football player...which is in direct violation of its own rules. It's a ridiculous circus but the worst part is that it keeps one of the Big East best teams out its last tourney.
How about Cam Newton's dad accepting $200,000 in cash for his son to attend Auburn and the NCAA was okey-dokey with it because Cam claimed he never knew?

Reaction Score
I know Nan, there are too many to list...the Duke kid from the championship team getting a $100,000 (?) piece of jewelry, the miami fiasco, the Ohio state kids getting to play their bowl games, and their wins somehow not becoming losses even though they should've been because they sold memorabilia, signature, etc, as long as they promised to come back to school the next season and would have to sit 5 games then, etc, etc, etc...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I know Nan, there are too many to list...the Duke kid from the championship team getting a $100,000 (?) piece of jewelry, the miami fiasco, the Ohio state kids getting to play their bowl games, and their wins somehow not becoming losses even though they should've been because they sold memorabilia, signature, etc, as long as they promised to come back to school the next season and would have to sit 5 games then, etc, etc, etc...
UConn's Souleyman Wane was forced to sit out three games by the NCAA because he made a long distance call home from the Athletic Department phone, unknowingly giving himself a benefit. LOL.

To say the NCAA is capricious is an understatement.

Reaction Score

You have a misunderstanding of the APR and the penalties from it. No standards were involved as the NCAA has proved it has none.

Reaction Score

Remember that there is no APR penalty if the players who leave for the pros leave in good academic standing.

Reaction Score
Remember that there is no APR penalty if the players who leave for the pros leave in good academic standing.

The one and dones are now only one halves and done...and that's only for the NBA...lots of our players stopped going to class because they were too busy working out and getting ready for camps. If they didn't finish the semester, Uconn took a hit for it. Players going over seas doesn't help your APR any either.

Reaction Score
Calipari actually encourages players who are ready to leave for the NBA (he could lose 4 freshmen this year).
When they come to him, if he tells them to go he also says he expects them to keep up their academics until they leave.
Ergo....no penalty.

I never liked the Calipari under the Marcus Camby cloud, but I give him more credit now than I give Calhoun in his later years. I think as coach Mike K. at Duke says, when you win another NC you want the next one even more.

Reaction Score
Oh please...Cal just plays the game. Those players only have to stay eligible for the first semester then they take 2 week intersession courses so they stay on the right side of the NCAA...just playing the game, not working towards anything but the NBA. Calhoun was only guilty of not playing the silly game.

Reaction Score
Oh please...Cal just plays the game. Those players only have to stay eligible for the first semester then they take 2 week intersession courses so they stay on the right side of the NCAA...just playing the game, not working towards anything but the NBA. Calhoun was only guilty of not playing the silly game.

Sounds like Calhoun was guilty of not being smart !! How can you say not playing the "silly game" is anything but dumb.
Look what it cost.

I did not say Cal was/is a special man. I am saying he got his "one and doners" to stay in good standing for the benefit of the program.

Reaction Score
Calhoun is just old school...defend Cal all you want...he's had 2 final fours vacated and skipped out to other schools while his old schools were penalized. What a guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom