Peter Werth comments about his donation | The Boneyard

Peter Werth comments about his donation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Pendergast got out of the gate quickly. Althouhg it not unexpected, it is still impressive.

Reaction Score
Very cool guy.. does not need his name in lights. Just wants a plack

Reaction Score
Agreed on all counts. Herbst really deserves credit for identifying a weak link (Hathaway) and putting someone in place who gets things done.

Reaction Score
WOW!!!!!!!!

"We've known Paul Pendergast for I guess going on 10 years," Werth said Friday. "They put a little pressure on me, and I caved in."
The process took eight to 10 months -- "it wasn't like we met Thursday and they wanted a commitment by Sunday," Werth said -- and took a little more out of Werth's wallet than he initially expected.

"I was originally looking into that $3 million range," he said. "But they talked us into -- (Pendergast) is a good salesman -- he talked us into a bigger number."

Reaction Score
Peter Werth seems like a great guy, so happy he is such a devoted Husky fan.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i was a tad surprised Werth said he doesn't expect the facility to be named after him, which is very humble. but i think unless he and his wife flat out refuse, or someone else ponies up more, it still ought to be named after his family.

Reaction Score
i was a tad surprised Werth said he doesn't expect the facility to be named after him, which is very humble. but i think unless he and his wife flat out refuse, or someone else ponies up more, it still ought to be named after his family.

It is safe to assume he could have had the facility named after him if he wanted it. Very humbling to have it called something else.

Calhoun Auriemma Practice Facility here we come.

Reaction Score
The Werth's largest previous contribution to UConn may have only been $300,000 but the family's generosity is much more extensive than UConn based on their family foundation's publicly available tax returns - philanthropy at its finest.

Reaction Score
Carmelo Anthony donated millions to Syracuse to build a basketball facility. Did our UCONN NBA and WNBA stars make a contribution to UCONN. UCONN helped make their careers possible. Have they even been asked to help UCONN become the showcase for college basketball.

Reaction Score
Carmelo Anthony donated millions to Syracuse to build a basketball facility. Did our UCONN NBA and WNBA stars make a contribution to UCONN. UCONN helped make their careers possible. Have they even been asked to help UCONN become the showcase for college basketball.

I think that any expectation that UConn's NBA players donate is misguided. Jim Calhoun certainly helped all the young men who have come to UConn and then enjoyed success in the NBA, but the UConn players have contributed a great deal to UConn. They generated millions and millions of dollars, helped make the football program possible and made UConn a nationally recognized program and school.

UConn's NBA alumni have done enough. If they choose to help out that would be great, but it should not be expected and I don't even think they should be asked.

Reaction Score
I woud hope it is a Humble comment,not anticipating it will be named after him when all is said done! LOL,
thinking of all of us when we say"Oh you shouldn't have" when we are thinking "yes you should have" LMAO
How much is this project going o cost? Maybe I will donate 10 million and have it named after me:):p

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I love people trying to demand how other people should make donations for a basketball facility just because theyre in the nba.

Reaction Score
I love people trying to demand how other people should make donations for a basketball facility just because theyre in the nba.

Or some people I know demanding that this money should be used to help out hungry children, creating jobs, blah blah blah...

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Great comments from Werth.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
This was a great gift by a generous benefactor who is not trying to put himself above the purpose of the gift. A wonderful gesture.

Reaction Score
Believe Calhoun said that the burden of funding the project should not fall on the shoulders of past players as they have already made contributions to the program by choosing to play here. Pendergrast mentioned Ray's name in a Hartford Courant article as a lead contributor among the former players. I think Calhoun just wanted to see others step up not just the former players. Werth appears to be a Geno connection.

Reaction Score
I think that any expectation that UConn's NBA players donate is misguided. Jim Calhoun certainly helped all the young men who have come to UConn and then enjoyed success in the NBA, but the UConn players have contributed a great deal to UConn. They generated millions and millions of dollars, helped make the football program possible and made UConn a nationally recognized program and school.

UConn's NBA alumni have done enough. If they choose to help out that would be great, but it should not be expected and I don't even think they should be asked.
Eh. I understand the point you're making, but come on. We're talking about multi-millionaires here. Is it really SO much to ask, to think they would give some money back to the school to further the legacy of UConn basketball ?

I agree they shouldn't feel obligated to do it, but it also doesn't seem like much of an imposition for someone like Rip or Ray, either. Which is not to say I know their individual situations and know they can easily spare a mil or two. I would like to think guys making that kind of money would be pretty well off, but I also know the opposite is often true.

Reaction Score
Sorry, I'm not seeing anyone here "demand" anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom