Peter King MMQB on BC/Rutgers/UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Peter King MMQB on BC/Rutgers/UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Spot on ....NJ alone DWARF's the Boston Demo.9M to what?? under 1M easy? NYC nonwithstanding...

Also doesn't hurt that RU is a state flagship University and BC is a small, private liberal arts school in a City that has 2-3 other rabid fan bases (where they also happen to be the most hated).

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Come on .....if you checked out that map and can't see how bogus it is....I don't know what to tell you...FB hits? Really?

How is it bogus? It measures favorite teams as liked by Facebook users geotagged by a given zip code. Given that these days nearly everyone in their grandparents are on Facebook, I'd say it's a pretty damn good reflection of how people think.

It's pretty scientific actually and absent data from surveying or polling it's about as accurate you are going to get.

Reaction Score
How is it bogus? It measures favorite teams as liked by Facebook users geotagged by a given zip code. Given that these days nearly everyone in their grandparents are on Facebook, I'd say it's a pretty damn good reflection of how people think.

It's pretty scientific actually and absent data from surveying or polling it's about as accurate you are going to get.
That map has more holes than swiss cheese......forget RU.....LOOK AROUND AT THE full country and tell me its accurate? Do you really think even Cuse fanbase is that powerful in FB?

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The whole State of Mass only has 7.3....are you saying their all around Chestnut Hill?
Have you been to mass? Yes, the majority of the population is around boston. The metro area is not my opinion, it's a fact.

Massachusetts_population_map.png

Reaction Score
Have you been to mass? Yes, the majority of the population is around boston. The metro area is not my opinion, it's a fact.

Massachusetts_population_map.png
Now match THIS to NYC/NJ......C'MON......my sister lives in Exeter,NH....

Reaction Score
That map has more holes than swiss cheese.forget RU.....LOOK AROUND AT THE full country and tell me its accurate? Do you really think even Cuse fanbase is that powerful in FB?

Are you joking? Do I think Syracuse dominates upstate NY as the most popular football program and runs about 5-10 percent throughout NYC?

Yes, obviously I do. That makes total sense. Spend any time in NYC and tell me you don't run into a ton of Cuse grads, by no means do they own NYC, but it makes sense that they average somewhere between 5-10 percent throughout the 5 boroughs.

Reaction Score
I live in the Albany area after growing up in Belleville NJ just outside Newark and lived in NYC for 23 yrs...outside hoops Cuse has gotsongool even here.... FB and influence runs this train and Cuse has been dead this century...even on their board they concede that RU has stolen NYC FROM them in FB coming from a Brklyn booster who's a regular poster there..

Reaction Score
Are you joking? Do I think Syracuse dominates upstate NY as the most popular football program and runs about 5-10 percent throughout NYC?

Yes, obviously I do. That makes total sense. Spend any time in NYC and tell me you don't run into a ton of Cuse grads, by no means do they own NYC, but it makes sense that they average somewhere between 5-10 percent throughout the 5 boroughs.
Truthfully a poll showed UConn having as many NYC fans in FB as Cuse..

Reaction Score

Cut fans really have a foothold out on Long Island....I would even say that the majority of their NYC DMA fan base is centered out there.

Reaction Score
Cuse fans really have a foothold out on Long Island....I would even say that the majority of their NYC DMA fan base is centered out there.

...and it has very little to do with basketball and football. The top high school sport on Long Island is also the most successful program at Syracuse - Lacrosse, and that is not a coincidence.

FYI, I friend told me the NYC TV market breakdown like this - 20% Long Island, 10% CT (Fairfield & New Haven counties), 10% downstate NY (Westchester, Putnam, Rockland & Orange Counties), 20% North Jersey (as far south as Princeton, which is where the commuter rail network ends), and 40% NYC proper. He basically pulled commuter rail and bus statistics from the major transit lines (LIRR, Metro North Hudson & New Haven networks, NJT, and MTA subway). Doubt its exact; but, it makes sense.

Reaction Score
...and it has very little to do with basketball and football. The top high school sport on Long Island is also the most successful program at Syracuse - Lacrosse, and that is not a coincidence.

FYI, I friend told me the NYC TV market breakdown like this - 20% Long Island, 10% CT (Fairfield & New Haven counties), 10% downstate NY (Westchester, Putnam, Rockland & Orange Counties), 20% North Jersey (as far south as Princeton, which is where the commuter rail network ends), and 40% NYC proper. He basically pulled commuter rail and bus statistics from the major transit lines (LIRR, Metro North Hudson & New Haven networks, NJT, and MTA subway). Doubt its exact; but, it makes sense.

I buy that. The other way to determine it is just go to census population figures and pull county-by-county and town-by-town throughout the NYC DMA.

Reaction Score

Chris Laviano was targeted by SU and wouldn't even give them a visit.....Ex HC KF is from LI/Queens put Nassau/Queens/Bklyn on RU's radar....after Marrone SU couldn't buy a recruit there unless no one wanted them...

Reaction Score
Chris Laviano was targeted by SU and wouldn't even give them a visit.....Ex HC KF is from LI/Queens put Nassau/Queens/Bklyn on RU's radar....after Marrone SU couldn't buy a recruit there unless no one wanted them...

No argument about Syracuse football out on Long Island Long Island is a hotbed for lacrosse, probably second only to Maryland. As long as Syracuse continues to be a power in that sport (10 total titles, last in 2009), Syracuse will continue to have a strong brand there. On a smaller scale, I see more that the usual number of Syracuse fans when I go to the Office to catch a sports game in Ridgewood, which is the public lax power in Bergen County.

Reaction Score

Don't know how that translates to FB.....Cuse has NOT 1 player from LI....at least on scholly and Canada is Mohawk Central as far as Lax.....if LI is a hotbed of 1.3 M north Jersey has 2/3 rds of NJ's 9M pop...NY/NJ are inseparable....esp up north...Port of NY/NJ Port Authority........the pine barrens are just that...'barren'' as far as FF county.....your giving them 10 percent of NYC/NJ demo......very doubtful.....that would be all Connecticut....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No argument about Syracuse football out on Long Island Long Island is a hotbed for lacrosse, probably second only to Maryland. As long as Syracuse continues to be a power in that sport (10 total titles, last in 2009), Syracuse will continue to have a strong brand there. On a smaller scale, I see more that the usual number of Syracuse fans when I go to the Office to catch a sports game in Ridgewood, which is the public lax power in Bergen County.

Syracuse is right in the middle of one of the best parts of the country for lacrosse. They bring in a lot of LI kids, but they bring in a lot of locals, too.

Reaction Score
Syracuse is right in the middle of one of the best parts of the country for lacrosse. They bring in a lot of LI kids, but they bring in a lot of locals, too.

I have a friend who is a lax coach (I played soccer with him) and he says the best 5 areas for HS lacrosse recruiting are: 1) Suburban Maryland between Baltimore & DC, 2) Long Island in NY, 3) Upstate NY, 4) Fairfield (CT) & Westchster (NY) Counties, and 5) North Jersey. After those 'leaders' its (not in any order): Metro Boston, the rest of CT, Suburban Philly, the VA side of the DC metro, the RDU area of NC, metro Detroit and then the Denver area plus the Provence of Ontario.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have a friend who is a lax coach (I played soccer with him) and he says the best 5 areas for HS lacrosse recruiting are: 1) Suburban Maryland between Baltimore & DC, 2) Long Island in NY, 3) Upstate NY, 4) Fairfield (CT) & Westchster (NY) Counties, and 5) North Jersey. After those 'leaders' its (not in any order): Metro Boston, the rest of CT, Suburban Philly, the VA side of the DC metro, the RDU area of NC, metro Detroit and then the Denver area plus the Provence of Ontario.

Yeah, that's pretty much exactly right. I'd put a little bit of distance between the top 3 and #4, and a fair amount between #4 and #5. The top 3 are basically interchangeable for me. Just tons of talent coming out of all three areas every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom