Pete roussel tweets that Bud Foster is expected to interview | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pete roussel tweets that Bud Foster is expected to interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well no one personally knows why he has never been a head coach other than his close family and friends, however that doesn't mean he doesn't have the capabilities of becoming a successful HC. Bud Foster had plenty of opportunities to become a HC for obvious reasons, but he elected to stay with Frank Beamer at Va. Tech, which says nothing about not having the aptitude of being a Head football coach.

Bud Foster (a brand name in the FBS) is a DC and not a HC, I get it, but he has been a top coordinator in the FBS for years. You and I both know that theirs been PLENTY of OC and DC that took head coaching jobs and had become successful, and theirs been PLENTY of head coaches who took over other programs and were not successful, so either way Uconn is taking a chance. But, if we're going to take a chance then let's make a splash hire with people like Pat Narduzzi, Bud Foster, Lembo, Mullen, not Ambrose.

27 years learning from a head coach like Frank Beamer isn't so bad.

When I think of Bud Foster. I think of the Peter Principle. He's the next Norm Chow.

Reaction Score
http://vtsports.blogs.timesdispatch.com/2013/11/27/uconn-eyeing-techs-foster/

>> He also said he’s not sure how appealing a position Connecticut, which fired Pasqualoni after he started 0-4 this season, is. “In the big picture, that’s probably a tough job,” Foster said.<<

Sounds like he's not up for the challenge - ;)

If he was ever being seriously considered, he's not anymore. Which is good. Give me the ND St coach and I'll be happy. All he does is win and win big. In North Dakota no less. He must be Lombardi-esque.

The Miami OC is not getting much play. I know his name was thrown around on the board a while back. Someone needs to shoot off an email to the Parker agency to let them know he should be a candidate.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Bud has no interest in a job that will pay him enough money to change his life. He is a a career assistant. I want head coach experience. Stay in Blackburgh.

Reaction Score
Shows how little you know. Towson was a weak sister program when he took it over. Now it's ranked every year and he was the CAA Coach of the Year at least once. The CAA is like the SEC of I-AA.

No to Bud Foster. He's past his expiration date. And so is your information.

Buds defense is 4th in the country and he's past his expiration date? Lol I guess.

Reaction Score
Hey just to let you guys know.....Parker reached out to me personally about the job. I told them to be professional and contact my agent. Then told them to tell Warde to shove the interview up his .

Someone tell Rousell.

Reaction Score
Buds defense is 4th in the country and he's past his expiration date? Lol I guess.

Gosh, If he were a head coach then I would actually give a crap about that data point.

Reaction Score
Gosh, If he were a head coach then I would actually give a crap about that data point.
Zoo why just don't you start the Rob Ambrose Fan Club website and call it a day. What are you going to do when he doesn't get the job?

Reaction Score
Zoo why just don't you start the Rob Ambrose Fan Club website and call it a day. What are you going to do when he doesn't get the job?

We have people here pining for Don Brown and Eric Mangini. You're gonna get on him for liking Ambrose? I wouldn't be crazy about the hire but it wouldn't send me to Warde's office with a torch and a pitchfork.

Reaction Score
We have people here pining for Don Brown and Eric Mangini. You're gonna get on him for liking Ambrose? I wouldn't be crazy about the hire but it wouldn't send me to Warde's office with a torch and a pitchfork.

Good analogy. RA is in the suburbs of the torch/pitchfork range but not quite there. Not that the others (Lembo, Narduzzi etc) wouldn't have a lot to prove, but an Ambrose hire would have the feel that UConn settled for something less than what they could have actually had.

The one thing Ambrose has going in his favor is he does have a handle on the kind of recruiting that needs to be done to be successful here, which puts him ahead of the others.

The details of the legendary "wouldn't take Spivey's tape" story are sure to be retold in the next couple of weeks. If RA has a poor relationship with the CT HS FB coaches assn that actually should work in his favor.

Reaction Score

Right, because Ambrose's resume is better than Don Brown's and Eric Mangini's :rolleyes:

Compare Ambrose's performance at UCONN to Don Brown's, it's not even close, and wake me when Ambrose gets his Towson team to the FCS championship game. A majority of the board liked Brown last year but somehow history has been revised. We have people touting Bud Foster as a defensive guru, but UCONN's defense was ranked ahead of VT's in 2011 and 2012.

I like Ambrose, but the other two are better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Right, because Ambrose's resume is better than Don Brown's and Eric Mangini's :rolleyes:

Compare Ambrose's performance at UCONN to Don Brown's, it's not even close, and wake me when Ambrose gets his Towson team to the FCS championship game. A majority of the board liked Brown last year but somehow history has been revised. We have people touting Bud Foster as a defensive guru, but UCONN's defense was ranked ahead of VT's last year.

No need to get so sensitive. By the way.....P had a better resume than all of them.

Happy Thannksgiving all.

Reaction Score
AndyBitterVT6:27pm via web
DC Bud Foster said he hasn't been contacted by UConn. Said he thinks the search committee has contacted his agent, Bob Lattinville. #Hokies

AndyBitterVT6:28pm via Web
Bud: "Nobody’s contacted me. We haven’t talked about the job. We haven’t done anything. ... You guys know as much as I do about UConn."

AndyBitterVT6:29pm via web
Re: UConn, Foster said he's got too much going on to worry about it, adding: "In the big picture, that’s probably a tough job." #Hokies

Thanks his agent for keeping his name alive... ;);) :rolleyes:
taken at face value, the last quote is why he won't be considered. not because he doesn't appear to bleed husky blue, but because those aren't the words of a person looking to take on a challenge.

This speculation should be awarded the 'Phil Fulmer' award...

Reaction Score
taken at face value, the last quote is why he won't be considered. not because he doesn't appear to bleed husky blue, but because those aren't the words of a person looking to take on a challenge.

This speculation should be awarded the 'Phil Fulmer' award...

I agree. Also says he thinks UConn could be a tough job. Spoken like a guy with another agenda. Lame.....

Reaction Score
No to Bud Foster who's defense has been in the top 10 most of his career at Va. Tech, he's considered a defensive guru, with a few 1st place defenses in the NCAA, but yes to Rob Ambrose? Unbelievable, we consider him because his team beat UCONN? what school hasn't beat UCONN this year besides a 1-10 Temple?

Rob Ambrose
2009Towson2–9
2010Towson1–10
2011Towson9–3
2012Towson7–4
2013Towson10-2with the 2 losses coming from Nova and Delaware (Key win, a 1-9 UCONN)

The guy started 2-9 and 1-10 in the FCS his first two seasons.

That may be the worst argument against Ambrose I've seen . . .

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
We aren't looking for a defensive coordinator, we are looking for a head coach. Why has he never been a head coach? He's been at VT for 27 years, that's too long.
Says the guy who wants Don Brown...

I know he was HC 10 years ago in FCS, but he is now a DC.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Regardless of whether Foster spent an eternity as an assistant, that doesn't change my position that a similar guy, Tom Bradley, would be an excellent choice. Bradley was rumored as a candidate last time around but never had a formal interview before PP was hired.

Reaction Score
Says the guy who wants Don Brown...

I know he was HC 10 years ago in FCS, but he is now a DC.

Brown was a head coach in 2008, that's 5 years ago bub, and his career record is outstanding, 12 years at three different stops, all successful.

Bud Foster is not qualified for this job, he's a career coordinator who by his own statements is not up to the challenge.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Compare Ambrose's performance at UCONN to Don Brown's, it's not even close, and wake me when Ambrose gets his Towson team to the FCS championship game. A majority of the board liked Brown last year but somehow history has been revised. We have people touting Bud Foster as a defensive guru, but UCONN's defense was ranked ahead of VT's last year.

You don't have any metrics to support what you are saying. Most o of the board may have liked him as a DC, but not as a head coach. That's very much debatable.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Brown was a head coach in 2008, that's 5 years ago bub, and his career record is outstanding, 12 years at three different stops, all successful.

Bud Foster is not qualified for this job, he's a career coordinator who by his own statements is not up to the challenge.

Ok...just want to make sure I am clear...bub....you are OK with a DC if he has previous experience as a HC at the FCS level? But...not if he has been a DC at a top program. Got it.

Reaction Score
ShakyTheMohel said:
Ok...just want to make sure I am clear...bub....you are OK with a DC if he has previous experience as a HC at the FCS level? But...not if he has been a DC at a top program. Got it.

No, he doesn't want a guy who has gotten stale. There is a reason why he has been considered for a ton of HC jobs but never hired.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
He said we shouldn't hire a defensive coordinator...yet he thinks that Don Brown is a good fit as coach. I think Don Brown is considered a defensive coordinator. If he only said he didn't want a guy who was stale....I would agree. He specifically said he didn't want a DC.

Reaction Score
"That's a tough job" is a disqualifier if Bud Foster really said it. Hell, Alabama and USC are tough jobs too. Expect 'no comments' from candidates, not their opinion of how difficult the job is. Whoever the new coach is should schedule a game with Virginia Tech just for fun. Lembo kicked UVA's butt, would love to see him do the same in Blacksburg

Reaction Score
Regardless of whether Foster spent an eternity as an assistant, that doesn't change my position that a similar guy, Tom Bradley, would be an excellent choice. Bradley was rumored as a candidate last time around but never had a formal interview before PP was hired.

Bradley, and other Penn State types are probably far too toxic. Since we've already drawn ire and attention of the esteemed Ms. Allred, we don't need NY Times and Boston Globe news room types at UCONN Press Conferences.

"Mr. (not Coach) Bradley, what did you know and when did you know it?" I'll pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom