Pete roussel tweets that Bud Foster is expected to interview | The Boneyard

Pete roussel tweets that Bud Foster is expected to interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@coachingsearch

Personally think that's a terrible hire, but he's a "name" coach. but he's old and his defenses at VTech have gotten worse and worse the last seveal years.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
My concern with Bud Foster is, why hasn't he been a Head Coach yet? He has had numerous opportunities, and it seems he may now just be trying to find a place to land when the Beamer ship goes down.

Reaction Score
it seems he may now just be trying to find a place to land when the Beamer ship goes down.

This^^^^^^!!!

Remember Roussell also floated Mazzone (who Des sez UConn is not eyeing) but you also have to take into consideration the Murray State/Rob Burton connection. Courtesy/Smart Booster Relations interview?

Reaction Score
Pass. Honestly who knows how accurate this is. Could be Foster's agent telling Rousell, "I think he'll get an interview."

Reaction Score
Pass. Honestly who knows how accurate this is. Could be Foster's agent telling Rousell, "I think he'll get an interview."

Funny though how both Nutt and Foster are former Murray State dudes...

Guess we'll have to watch to see if Foster goes to a Thanksgiving Day High School Football Rivalry game tomorrow w/ WM to know for sure ;)

Reaction Score
Funny how a few years changes things. For years thought Foster was the VT coach in waiting. Guess he might have waited too long.

Not sure he's the guy, but this ought to put the woe-is-us, who-is-going-to-come-here stuff. Only a certain few elite assistants are in the position of turning down this job. Foster was in that group not that long ago.

Reaction Score
Pass. We can do better.

The fact that Foster has been content to be a coordinator for so long makes me question if he really has the fire in his belly to be a head coach.

Foster should have lobbied for the job three years ago. Too late now. Foster can have the job after Ambrose and TJ Weist turn us down. I would seriously prefer Weist over Bud Foster.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
More info here:
http://touch.dailypress.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-78356746/

Foster isn't dealing with the UConn interview possibility this week, in order to concentrate on preparation for Saturday's game at Virginia (2-9 overall, 0-7 ACC), according to Lattinville. Foster is scheduled to be available for comment this evening after Tech's football practice.

"They've called with regard to interest in him, but I don't know if he's going to end up taking the interview," said Lattinville to the Daily Press. "He's just focused on the last game."

Lattinville said UConn, which is 1-9 overall and 1-5 in the American Athletic Conference, made overtures about wanting to interview Foster shortly after the position came open in September.

Reaction Score
Every time I start to get excited about a new coach and a new start I see a name like this and get dispirited all over again.

I agree, I'm expecting a Mark Whipple rumor any minute now. How about KC Keeler rumor to ruin thanksgiving.

Reaction Score
No to Bud Foster who's defense has been in the top 10 most of his career at Va. Tech, he's considered a defensive guru, with a few 1st place defenses in the NCAA, but yes to Rob Ambrose? Unbelievable, we consider him because his team beat UCONN? what school hasn't beat UCONN this year besides a 1-10 Temple?

Rob Ambrose
2009Towson2–9
2010Towson1–10
2011Towson9–3
2012Towson7–4
2013Towson10-2with the 2 losses coming from Nova and Delaware (Key win, a 1-9 UCONN)

The guy started 2-9 and 1-10 in the FCS his first two seasons.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
No to Bud Foster who's defense has been in the top 10 most of his career at Va. Tech, he's considered a defensive guru, with a few 1st place defenses in the NCAA, but yes to Rob Ambrose? Unbelievable, we consider him because his team beat UCONN? what school hasn't beat UCONN this year besides a 1-10 Temple?

Rob Ambrose
2009Towson2–9
2010Towson1–10
2011Towson9–3
2012Towson7–4
2013Towson10-2with the 2 losses coming from Nova and Delaware (Key win, a 1-9 UCONN)

We aren't looking for a defensive coordinator, we are looking for a head coach. Why has he never been a head coach? He's been at VT for 27 years, that's too long.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

Rob Ambrose
2009Towson2–9
2010Towson1–10
2011Towson9–3
2012Towson7–4

It is not just about his defenses, which have been absolutley mediocre for a few years now. He wont be a coordinator here, he'll be running the whole program. I like how you focus on this sh. Itshow that Ambrose inherited, rather than what he's done to rebuild which is exactly what UConn needs right now. Its like Palatine focusi g on Duke's rible history in the Cutcliffe thread.

Reaction Score
He's interviewed a ton of places but never gets hired. It's common knowledge that he has a problem partying with the booger sugar. I'm not just saying that because I come from one of VTs rival fanbases, feel free to ask them yourselves.

Reaction Score
We aren't looking for a defensive coordinator, we are looking for a head coach. Why has he never been a head coach? He's been at VT for 27 years, that's too long.

Well no one personally knows why he has never been a head coach other than his close family and friends, however that doesn't mean he doesn't have the capabilities of becoming a successful HC. Bud Foster had plenty of opportunities to become a HC for obvious reasons, but he elected to stay with Frank Beamer at Va. Tech, which says nothing about not having the aptitude of being a Head football coach.

Bud Foster (a brand name in the FBS) is a DC and not a HC, I get it, but he has been a top coordinator in the FBS for years. You and I both know that theirs been PLENTY of OC and DC that took head coaching jobs and had become successful, and theirs been PLENTY of head coaches who took over other programs and were not successful, so either way Uconn is taking a chance. But, if we're going to take a chance then let's make a splash hire with people like Pat Narduzzi, Bud Foster, Lembo, Mullen, not Ambrose.

27 years learning from a head coach like Frank Beamer isn't so bad.

Reaction Score

Rob Ambrose
2009Towson2–9
2010Towson1–10
2011Towson9–3
2012Towson7–4

does that mean Matt Ruhle is definitely out?

Reaction Score
There's no way in hell Bud Foster is getting the job, even if he interviews..unless our top 5+ candidates aren't interested or are asking for way too much.
Which won't be the case.

Reaction Score
AndyBitterVT6:27pm via web
DC Bud Foster said he hasn't been contacted by UConn. Said he thinks the search committee has contacted his agent, Bob Lattinville. #Hokies

AndyBitterVT6:28pm via Web
Bud: "Nobody’s contacted me. We haven’t talked about the job. We haven’t done anything. ... You guys know as much as I do about UConn."

AndyBitterVT6:29pm via web
Re: UConn, Foster said he's got too much going on to worry about it, adding: "In the big picture, that’s probably a tough job." #Hokies

Thanks his agent for keeping his name alive... ;);) :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
It is not just about his defenses, which have been absolutley mediocre for a few years now. He wont be a coordinator here, he'll be running the whole program. I like how you focus on this sh. Itshow that Ambrose inherited, rather than what he's done to rebuild which is exactly what UConn needs right now. Its like Palatine focusi g on Duke's rible history in the Cutcliffe thread.

Mediocre? his defense is 4th in the country this year.

And UCONN doesn't need rebuilding, we need a coach who's going to be a big name like Bud Foster, Narduzzi, Mullen, and Lembo who can bring in recruits right away and that can give us a chance to win in the FBS level. We just came off a Fista Bowl 3 years ago, so no rebuilding is needed, just a coach who can win.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Virginia Tech has some bizarre losses this year. They still probably go to ACC CG.

I have no problem interviewing the guy.

Don't get to spun up over the disinformation in the media - it's probably still 50/50 they hire a name that hasn't been raised yet.

Reaction Score

Rob Ambrose
2009Towson2–9
2010Towson1–10
2011Towson9–3
2012Towson7–4

Shows how little you know. Towson was a weak sister program when he took it over. Now it's ranked every year and he was the CAA Coach of the Year at least once. The CAA is like the SEC of I-AA.

No to Bud Foster. He's past his expiration date. And so is your information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom