OT: - Pet insurance | The Boneyard

OT: Pet insurance

Reaction Score
We got a new dog after about 10 years without one. The old dog was somewhat sickly and I remember the vet bills, so definintely intersted in some insurance options. Our vet gave us some brochures to pet insurance companies, and I'm wondering if there's a better one that we should go for? Any small print to look out for? Thanks for the input.

Got brochures for:
Trupanion
Embrace
ASPCA
Nationwide

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
We got a new dog after about 10 years without one. The old dog was somewhat sickly and I remember the vet bills, so definintely intersted in some insurance options. Our vet gave us some brochures to pet insurance companies, and I'm wondering if there's a better one that we should go for? Any small print to look out for? Thanks for the input.

Got brochures for:
Trupanion
Embrace
ASPCA
Nationwide
Our baby girl (1 year old black lab mix. Rescued just before restrictions went into place) has idiopathic epilepsy. It's not covered because she had a seizure within the two week grace period, but everything else is. My wife ended up getting something through Healthy Paws.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
We did the pet insurance thing (Nationwide) for 2 new puppies about 18 months ago. About $55/month for each - $110 for both. Bottom line is I don't think it pays for itself, unless your dog needs major surgery. We dropped it. Unlike human health insurance there are no negotiated lower prices. They pay a little of this, a little of that, and you still have substantial out of pocket in addition to monthly charges for insurance when not much is happening.

Better option, if you can afford it, is set up a monthly escrow to pay for dog vet expenses should they occur.

Reaction Score
Our vet gave us some brochures to pet insurance companies, and I'm wondering if there's a better one that we should go for? Any small print to look out for? Thanks for the input.
Pet insurance brochures were handed to you as it's potentially easy dinero for your vet. Alternative: set aside the monthly premium amount in your own account for potential vet charges. Hit a pre-set total target amount you'd feel comfortable spending on Rover's health. Boom, there's your pet insurance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We have a 4 month old puppy and went with HealthyPaws when we brought him home at 8 weeks. We pay $40 per month with a $250 deductible and a 90% reimbursement rate. No cap on payout.

Reaction Score

Got brochures for:
Trupanion
Embrace
ASPCA
Nationwide
We had the company that Nationwide bought...forgot the name. They paid a portion of bills that varied based on the issue...including routine care. Our pup had malignant tumors needing a few surgeries at a young age and emergency surgery for a ruptured sleep much later...it was worth it for us.

For our new pup, we opted for a higher deductible plan that doesn't cover routine care, but kicks in for higher amount items like surgeries, cancer treatments, injuries, etc. Went with Pet's Best as felt it was the best combination of price/coverage/deductible. The premiums get substantially higher as the dog ages.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We have a 4 month old puppy and went with HealthyPaws when we brought him home at 8 weeks. We pay $40 per month with a $250 deductible and a 90% reimbursement rate. No cap on payout.
that's actually a pretty good plan IMO

Reaction Score
We had MetLife Pet Insurance - PetFirst. We have four cats. Yes, I know that is a lot of cats. But they are small and don't eat much. We dropped it (the insurance not the the cats) eventually. Can't remember why.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
1610480298089.png

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
We have a 5-year-old dog. My wife got pet insurance for him through her work for the first year. Like others have said, it covered nothing that we incurred (routine and "emergency" visits; vaccinations). It's really for major surgeries, etc.

We dropped it after the first year.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think this why she went with it.

Reaction Score
My guy is unfortunately on his way out. Only 8.5 years old and has cancer. We don't have insurance. We took him to the local animal hospital and they gave us a great rundown of expectations and costs. Major surgery (technically two surgeries at the same time) and chemo would get him an extra 12-18 months. We decided not to put him through all of that and just treat him like a king for the few months we have. it was going to cost a lot, but I still think we would've made the same decision if it was covered.

My neighbor is on his second Golden since we've known him. First one had cancer and he said insurance paid for the majority of the treatments, but Stanley only got an extra six months. Rosy is only 5 years old and needs knee surgery. Seems like his insurance will be good for that. Even if it covers the cancer treatments, however, I just don't know that it's a good step to take with an animal that doesn't understand what you are putting it through. My opinion though.

Reaction Score
We did the pet insurance thing (Nationwide) for 2 new puppies about 18 months ago. About $55/month for each - $110 for both. Bottom line is I don't think it pays for itself, unless your dog needs major surgery. We dropped it. Unlike human health insurance there are no negotiated lower prices. They pay a little of this, a little of that, and you still have substantial out of pocket in addition to monthly charges for insurance when not much is happening.

Better option, if you can afford it, is set up a monthly escrow to pay for dog vet expenses should they occur.
That's kind of what insurance is all about. Post/handle?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That's kind of what insurance is all about. Post/handle?

Not necessarily. For a human, health insurance often covers office visits, vaccinations and other minor stuff. Or, at least part of the cost.

For pets, you are paying out of pocket for all that. Only thing it's good for is catastrophic or dogastrophic costs.

Reaction Score
Not necessarily. For a human, health insurance often covers office visits, vaccinations and other minor stuff. Or, at least part of the cost.

For pets, you are paying out of pocket for all that. Only thing it's good for is catastrophic or dogastrophic costs.
Hey oh! Good one! (not sarcatstic)

I get that there may be factors that make pet insurance less valuable than other types. I am simply pointing out that one does not buy insurance to have it pay for itself. In fact, I'd venture to say that most people actively root against their insurance coverage "paying for itself."

Reaction Score
My guy is unfortunately on his way out. Only 8.5 years old and has cancer. We don't have insurance. We took him to the local animal hospital and they gave us a great rundown of expectations and costs. Major surgery (technically two surgeries at the same time) and chemo would get him an extra 12-18 months. We decided not to put him through all of that and just treat him like a king for the few months we have. it was going to cost a lot, but I still think we would've made the same decision if it was covered.

My neighbor is on his second Golden since we've known him. First one had cancer and he said insurance paid for the majority of the treatments, but Stanley only got an extra six months. Rosy is only 5 years old and needs knee surgery. Seems like his insurance will be good for that. Even if it covers the cancer treatments, however, I just don't know that it's a good step to take with an animal that doesn't understand what you are putting it through. My opinion though.

Sorry to hear about your pup. Relish the last few months you have you sound like your pup is lucky to have you and I am sure it's not easy but the best to all of you! :(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom