Pessimism grows in college football over season starting on time (update: it’s crumbling): | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Pessimism grows in college football over season starting on time (update: it’s crumbling):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A lot of kids would completely disagree.

When they flip the switch and kill the season - let’s see how happy the kids are... and then let’s see how happy we are when basketball is the next sport to get furloughed. Canning basketball is a rather real once they get done shelving football. The risk just isn’t that different in BB.

That's why we call them "kids".

Reaction Score
You all sit here and talk about death rates. That's not the real issue nor should it be the main focus. The real danger is the lasting effects of being positive. They are finding more and more long term damage in COVID patients.

The Jazz player from March still hasn't regained his sense of taste. Neurological damage has been reported. Kidney damage. This isn't just respiratory.

This is why, as an educator, I'm not willing to put myself back in my building without proper PPE or a plan. The long term effects are a serious issue. Deaths are a real threat but to the younger population, they should be more concerned with their long term health due to catching COVID. The numbers show the likelihood of dying is not high for that age bracket, but the long term effects are still being discovered and are showing as being more severe each day.
It’s amazing how many people don’t understand this.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Money

The Southern Public State schools monetary Needs are far different than Ivy. The answer is money. And while UConn budget is challenging ... being a Mississippi with a loss of tens of millions that they plugged into the budget will lead to a different decision tree.
The virus will drive the ultimate decision no matter how different the economics are. Some things can’t be escaped until this thing can be controlled. There was a report yesterday from Europe that some believe that there is no herd immunity. Which, if true, means without a vaccine there will be slow going. Family decisions are also a big factor affecting college sports.

Reaction Score
Fascinating read. I don’t think we are going to see football at all and basketball spring semester at earliest.

I think we are starting to see many people come to grips with this. it ist hhapoenifn

it is just too unmanageable and too many ethical concerns. How can a school out players out there to play a game while it isn’t even safe for students to be on campus?

that is insane. Are we gonna quarantine soccer and volleyball athletes? How about x-country and field hockey.

Reaction Score
What amazes me is the stuff people don’t seem to understand. When cases go up a number of people needing hospitalization also go up. Which means there is less ability to treat other problems. People are still having heart attacks in Phoenix and San Antonio. People are still getting in accidents. But when ERs and icus are overwhelmed those people are “competing” for care with Covid patients. And sure the death rate is low among young and healthy people, but it isn’t zero. Nor is the hospitalization rate. So it’s basic math. If 1% of the cases end up in the icu and you have 100 cases you need a bed. If the number of cases increase to 100,000 you need 100. Since the number of beds Is finite, and there are other demands on them, it makes sense to minimize Covid cases. That that seems hard for some to understand is beyond my comprehension.

I write this part because the deniers will want to quibble. I used 1% because the math is easy not because the lag is the actual percentage of people 18-22 who get Covid and need hospitalization. I don’t know what that number is though I’m sure it is out there somewhere.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Easy there. The schools need to pivot ASAP and let kids get whatever they can from the sponsorship/endorsement world. No salaries, just endorsement money. They have to stop denying kids the right to make side money if they aren’t employees and they are not employees.

This is the solution.

Title ix would be a nightmare if you had to pay players as employees.

But there also needs to be limits.

No using university marks or even saying the player is the qb, lineman etc for the team.

And. I deals that are morally repugnant to the university or conflict with current contracts the university has.

Reaction Score
...allowing allowing students put their lives on the line for our entertainment... there’s no way to justify it.
There has never been no risk of getting sick, seriously injured or even dying.
>>33 NCAA football players died playing the sport between 2000 and 2016, an average of two per season. <<

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
>>33 NCAA football players died playing the sport between 2000 and 2016, an average of two per season. <<
the difference is when you get hurt playing football, you don't unwillingly cause people around you to spontaneously get CTE or a concussion.

Reaction Score
the difference is when you get hurt playing football, you don't unwillingly cause people around you to spontaneously get CTE or a concussion.
I get that. The comment was they were putting their life on the line playing with a chance of getting Covid.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
That's why we call them "kids".

Kids that can vote...etc...etc. Its funny how a young persons opinion has value until it conflicts with your opinion and then we decide it doesn't have value. Just saying....

There are roughly 11,050 scholarship slots in FBS football (130 X 85). If we dont play this fall or next spring for many of these kids that window to perform on a stage gets narrower (true in all sports). Sure the NCAA ought to give everyone an extra year of eligibility, but that wont change the fact that in the fall of 2021 the competition for playing time will be challenged by the next crop of kids and thus opportunities diminished. As the fall sports get cancel this sad possibility will be sinking in for many that worked hard waiting for 2020-21 to be their year.

A full year without college athletics and the opportunities lost certainly gives one more time to weigh that bigger question; are college athletics abusive because the kids are unpaid employees or to the contrary is it one of the best and most satisfying internships ever devised? A full year without sports will certainly lead to more of these "athletic internships" being permanently eliminated under budget stress.

Reaction Score
Kids that can vote...etc...etc. Its funny how a young persons opinion has value until it conflicts with your opinion and then we decide it doesn't have value. Just saying....

There are roughly 11,050 scholarship slots in FBS football (130 X 85). If we dont play this fall or next spring for many of these kids that window to perform on a stage gets narrower (true in all sports). Sure the NCAA ought to give everyone an extra year of eligibility, but that wont change the fact that in the fall of 2021 the competition for playing time will be challenged by the next crop of kids and thus opportunities diminished. As the fall sports get cancel this sad possibility will be sinking in for many that worked hard waiting for 2020-21 to be their year.

A full year without college athletics and the opportunities lost certainly gives one more time to weigh that bigger question; are college athletics abusive because the kids are unpaid employees or to the contrary is it one of the best and most satisfying internships ever devised? A full year without sports will certainly lead to more of these "athletic internships" being permanently eliminated under budget stress.

I didn't say their opinions aren't valued. But again, we call them kids for a reason. I can't speak for anyone else, but I know my decision making process, especially as it relates to my passions, is a lot deeper in my forties than it was when I was 18. I suspect I am not the only one in that boat. Hell, we know the psyche isn't even fully developed at that age.

Of course most want to play. I would have when I was 18, felt invincible, and had no real concept of life beyond that stage. This may be a decision shouldn't force them to make.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What amazes me is the stuff people don’t seem to understand. When cases go up a number of people needing hospitalization also go up. Which means there is less ability to treat other problems. People are still having heart attacks in Phoenix and San Antonio. People are still getting in accidents. But when ERs and icus are overwhelmed those people are “competing” for care with Covid patients. And sure the death rate is low among young and healthy people, but it isn’t zero. Nor is the hospitalization rate. So it’s basic math. If 1% of the cases end up in the icu and you have 100 cases you need a bed. If the number of cases increase to 100,000 you need 100. Since the number of beds Is finite, and there are other demands on them, it makes sense to minimize Covid cases. That that seems hard for some to understand is beyond my comprehension.

I write this part because the deniers will want to quibble. I used 1% because the math is easy not because the lag is the actual percentage of people 18-22 who get Covid and need hospitalization. I don’t know what that number is though I’m sure it is out there somewhere.

So you are saying the pandemic is bad? I had not considered that.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

yes because this is similar to having a virus that you don’t know you have and then giving it to someone by merely being in the same room as someone and then they die. Yes it’s 100% similar.

Reaction Score
yes because this is similar to having a virus that you don’t know you have and then giving it to someone by merely being in the same room as someone and then they die. Yes it’s 100% similar.
Read your own quote: "students put their lives on the line..." Nice pivot to giving it to others, though. 100% the same....

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I was thinking about this.

McNair died by accident. A simple case of negligence.

If a player dies of covid it is because coaches, and schools knowingly made them take the risk during a known pandemic. Clearly beyond negligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom