Pessimism grows in college football over season starting on time (update: it’s crumbling): | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pessimism grows in college football over season starting on time (update: it’s crumbling):

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
If (when) the Ivy League cancels Fall sports next week, the momentum for shutting down everywhere will accelerate. I heard someone say last week that college football will start in September and end before Halloween. I could see that, especially down South.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Do they have symptoms? Any hospitalizations? Or does the information end as it usually does, with an alarmist headline or tweet?

To take it a step further do they have an active infection or are they testing positive for antibodies, meaning they had it in the past but have recovered? If they don't have a fever I would think its the latter.

Are these players ever interviewed? It would be informative to find out what they are going through physically.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To take it a step further do they have an active infection or are they testing positive for antibodies, meaning they had it in the past but have recovered? If they don't have a fever I would think its the latter.
If they are quarantining players/staff for 14 days and then retesting - it’s likely not due to positive antibody tests.

Reaction Score

I looked for a player interview, Donovan Mitchell popped up. This is from back in March. He tells Robin Roberts he tested positive but has no symptoms and feels like he could play tomorrow. How common is this? The worst part of his experience was the damn test which he says was very painful.

Reaction Score
If they are quarantining players/staff for 14 days and then retesting - it’s likely not due to positive antibody tests.

One would think this is the case, but how good are the tests and can the tests themselves tell the difference? The public has a right to be skeptical about these tests if there are no symptoms.

Reaction Score
One would think this is the case, but how good are the tests and can the tests themselves tell the difference? The public has a right to be skeptical if there are no symptoms.

Two different tests... the most accurate antibody test is a blood sample. Most accurate COVID test is a deep nasal swab (and it’s not that painful from personal experience, uncomfortable but not “very painful”).

Reaction Score
(CNN)Some young people in Alabama are throwing Covid-19 parties, a disturbing competition where people who have coronavirus attend and the first person to get infected receives a payout, local officials said.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html
The parties are being held in Tuscaloosa, and infected people are urged to attend so others can intentionally contract the virus, City Council member Sonya McKinstry told CNN. She said she heard about the trend from fire officials.

Reaction Score
Two different tests... the most accurate antibody test is a blood sample. Most accurate COVID test is a deep nasal swab (and it’s not that painful from personal experience, uncomfortable but not “very painful”).

Just curious, why were you tested? Did you have it and what was your experience?

Reaction Score
My wife and I were both tested....Had to sign the Health Department's.."Person Under Investigation" form....restricted to the house with no visiters until the test results came back as "negative".

Why? Because we were tracked to a friend..we had dinner at his house. He became ill and tested positive.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My wife and I were both tested....Had to sign the Health Department's.."Person Under Investigation" form....restricted to the house with no visiters until the test results came back as "negative".

Why? Because we were tracked to a friend..we had dinner at his house. He became ill and tested positive.
Glad to hear you came back negative

Reaction Score
I get tested again......for a procedure coming up in the hospital...I can not go in if positive.

Procedure here...you drive under the awning in the hospital parking lot...they test you...call you at home.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Do they have symptoms? Any hospitalizations? Or does the information end as it usually does, with an alarmist headline or tweet?
Seriously? The way you stop the spread is by stopping activities that cause it to spread and quarantining infected people and people they came in contact with...

Reaction Score
I am of the opinion that there will be no college athletics until at least January. Unlike Europe the US wasted time and failed to follow proper protocols in so many places that this virus is close to being out of control. Unlike places that took it seriously many parts of the country did not. It is already having an impact. USF has told its season ticket holders not to plan on traveling to Austin for the Texas game for example. Connecticut, and whatever you think of Lamont you need to give him high marks for this, is in solid shape But Houston, LA, Florida, Arizona and any number of others are not and quite honestly might well not be for some time Since they seem unwilling to take the steps that succeeded in New York, Connecticut, the EU.
Europe has had a lot more deaths than the United States and it's per capita deaths is 10 times worse. Spain and Italy were disaster areas, even the UK got slammed, so I fail to see where Europe managed this pandemic better than the United States.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m in Westchester. COVID is all around me. I tested positive on 3/29. Quarantined. No symptoms

Tested Antibodies two weeks ago - Negative

That’s weird. So my summary - who knows. The antibodies test has massive problems. Some are 93-95%+. Some aren’t. I’ve been told this thing is moving into another strain within 2 months. Unknowns.

There’s nothing wrong with 100,000,000 tests. And many times.

Reaction Score
I’m in Westchester. COVID is all around me. I tested positive on 3/29. Quarantined. No symptoms

Tested Antibodies two weeks ago - Negative

That’s weird. So my summary - who knows. The antibodies test has massive problems. Some are 93-95%+. Some aren’t. I’ve been told this thing is moving into another strain within 2 months. Unknowns.

There’s nothing wrong with 100,000,000 tests. And many times.

So you tested positive with no symptoms and have no antibodies. It seriously begs the question was the first test was a false positive.

Reaction Score
From the CDC website

“Some people may take even longer to develop antibodies, and some people who are infected may not ever develop antibodies.“

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So you tested positive with no symptoms and have no antibodies. It seriously begs the question was the first test was a false positive.

The virus tests are a lot more accurate than the antibody tests.

Reaction Score
I believe the fastest a successful vaccine has ever been created was just over five years. Admittedly, this disease is seeing more concentrated global effort and shared research than most. That said, I doubt a real vaccine can be created in less than three years. And that would be a near scientific miracle.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We have never developed a vaccine that works for the HIV virus....nor Ebola, nor MERS...herpes, malaria..etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom