Perspective of 2 Cyclones from NYC on playing UConn at MSG | The Boneyard

Perspective of 2 Cyclones from NYC on playing UConn at MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://cyclonefanatic.com/basketball/mens/news/new-york-new-york/

“UConn is as big as anything out there,” Hogue said. “To go back home and have a lot of people rooting against me will be kind of crazy but I should have enough family and friends there to cancel them out.”

I guess I still don't credit or understand enough about UConn's pull in the Bronx or Brooklyn, Yonkers, etc.

Reaction Score
Don't underestimate the other 3 schools' fans desire to get to these games. Obviously MSU has a massive alumni base and a very passionate fan base that travels. UVA is somewhat local with a smaller less passionate fan base but I'm sure they'll come out in force and ISU fans love to travel. They brought TONS of people to the Rent a couple years ago.

Reaction Score
Don't underestimate the other 3 schools' fans desire to get to these games. Obviously MSU has a massive alumni base and a very passionate fan base that travels. UVA is somewhat local with a smaller less passionate fan base but I'm sure they'll come out in force and ISU fans love to travel. They brought TONS of people to the Rent a couple years ago.

I expect Virginia fans to be the second most in attendance. A lot of them are in NYC. Virginia draws a lot of out of state students.

Reaction Score

The total cost of traveling to this game plus the cost of travel to the 1st + 2nd round games which they likely already attended will be too much for many fans.

Plus any casual fan will likely root for UConn. Uconn will be the lowest seed (neutral fans almost always root for the lower seed in the NCAA tourny) and a neutral fan likely will want to avoid upsetting a hostile pro uconn crowd by rooting for Iowa state.

Sure there are contrarians, but if I didn't care who wins I don't want to root for the "away" team and get popcorn thrown at me for no reason

Reaction Score
The total cost of traveling to this game plus the cost of travel to the 1st + 2nd round games which they likely already attended will be too much for many fans.

Plus any casual fan will likely root for UConn. Uconn will be the lowest seed (neutral fans almost always root for the lower seed in the NCAA tourny) and a neutral fan likely will want to avoid upsetting a hostile pro uconn crowd by rooting for Iowa state.

Sure there are contrarians, but if I didn't care who wins I don't want to root for the "away" team and get popcorn thrown at me for no reason

Fans tend to gauge which weekend to attend based on their expectations. Virginia was probably just happy to be there after many eons. MSU was probably keeping its powder dry for this weekend or the F4. Same with Ohio State--a complete no show in Buffalo. Dayton and St. joe's traveled well--because that's where they expected the action to be. Now the Dayton people are digging deep in their pockets.

UConn fans definitely do this. The last regional I went to was during a national championship year and people were ho-hum about it.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
University of Connecticut: New York's College Team

In case anyone STILL isn't aware, perhaps we should invest in taxi adds? ...Or t-shirts?

On placard ads on the Yankee Stadium loge boxes.

Reaction Score
Fans tend to gauge which weekend to attend based on their expectations. Virginia was probably just happy to be there after many eons. MSU was probably keeping its powder dry for this weekend or the F4. Same with Ohio State--a complete no show in Buffalo. Dayton and St. joe's traveled well--because that's where they expected the action to be. Now the Dayton people are digging deep in their pockets.

UConn fans definitely do this. The last regional I went to was during a national championship year and people were ho-hum about it.

If that is the mentality, than I believe a lot of fans will want to wait until the final 4.

Reaction Score
http://cyclonefanatic.com/basketball/mens/news/new-york-new-york/

I guess I still don't credit or understand enough about UConn's pull in the Bronx or Brooklyn, Yonkers, etc.

Nice start to the week! The Cyclone Fanatic Chris Williams does not even know where we were seeded.
After Sunday night’s 85-83 Round of 32 NCAA Tournament victory over North Carolina, Iowa State will visit a familiar city for Friday’s 6:27 (central) tip vs. 6th seeded UConn.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I was thinking of T- shirts with something like "Sack Attack" (actually "UCONN Sack Attack" might work well for football...), "UCONN: Ballin", or "Iowa State: You've Never Faced Senhor Before" all with Senhor displayed prominently in some way.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This needs to happen.

NYorkerView_zps7a428adc.jpg

pj

Reaction Score
1976 was a good year for the Huskies. Sweet 16 team, Tony Hanson led.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Dustin Hogue's brother is Doug Hogue - he was a Syracuse linebacker a few years back.

Hogue was completely unrecruited coming out of Yonkers....now he's an 11 and 9 guy at 6'5".

Superior job of scouting by Fred Hoiberg.

Reaction Score
I know a bunch of uva fans making the trip. If you extrapolate that small sample size to the total # of uva alums i think they will fill the entire building.

Realistically, uva has a huge fan base in northern virginia/DC area (refuse to call it the DMV...) that will likely produce a good showing at the game. and like many connecticut residents, they've got some money so the high ticket prices won't scare them away

Reaction Score
Up to 420.00 minimum... Holy shugar. I was trying to wait it out but I might get priced out of this one. There's still hope. I was thinking if scalping some before the game but the fake ticket deal is waaaaay crazy down there, huh?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Up to 420.00 minimum... Holy shugar. I was trying to wait it out but I might get priced out of this one. There's still hope. I was thinking if scalping some before the game but the fake ticket deal is waaaaay crazy down there, huh?
Right after the Villanova game, I could've had seats at $265 with a full view of the court from the second level but I waited and it cost me $307 for kinda behind the basket. Prices keep going up. The anticipated flooding of the market by UNC never happened.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
What I do when i go to MSG and scalp is have one of my buddies go into the arena and i wait outside with the scalper and once he calls me and lets me know he got in and there were no problems I then head in.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Do you think they know SNY pays us for the right to televise our games?

that would be the be Sports New York, flagship for the NY Mets

Reaction Score
Virginia is having kind of a Dream Season season. Their fans are really into this team. They'll draw.

Reaction Score
I remember going 4 years ago to anaheim for elite 8 UCONN-ARIZONA watching kemba vs derrick williams(one of the best sporting events of my life) and this UCONN fan asking me for directions to get back on the freeway. I saw his license plate and it was from New York and I was like WOW, he traveled like 3-4 days to be here for this game, what a great fan.

Reaction Score
What I do when i go to MSG and scalp is have one of my buddies go into the arena and i wait outside with the scalper and once he calls me and lets me know he got in and there were no problems I then head in.

Yup, me too. This works.

I waited, too, hoping the market would soften, and it continues to rise.

Definitely cheaper to buy on the street, then online, where you pay for the security.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
So I made a comment on that article that upstater linked. Something to the effect of "you can wear whatever jersey color you'd like, but make no mistake, UConn is the home team. That's OUR Garden." An Iowa State fan responded by telling me it's just as much Rutgers' Garden as ours. Lol Rutgers.

Reaction Score
So I made a comment on that article that upstater linked. Something to the effect of "you can wear whatever jersey color you'd like, but make no mistake, UConn is the home team. That's OUR Garden." An Iowa State fan responded by telling me it's just as much Rutgers' Garden as ours. Lol Rutgers.

Link to the article about 127 Rutgers fans showing up for a game. In Rutgers on campus arena.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom