Pepperdine WBB Players Suing School | The Boneyard

Pepperdine WBB Players Suing School

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jeez why do people even transfer to these religious schools. You know, or should be aware, of their policies.

Reaction Score
The coach is an idiot, but I gotta wonder why a lesbian would go to a religious college. (No, not all religions are anti-gay, but the danger is there.)

Reaction Score
Reminds me of how Griner left Baylor. As much as I detest this kind of stuff, it's like everyone knew how they treat gays, so you go there just to confirm that it's true and then act like "how dare they?"

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Jeez why do people even transfer to these religious schools. You know, or should be aware, of their policies.

A lot of LGBT people grow up when they get away from their parents and go to college. At the age of 18 or 19, people don't have the life experiences to think that far ahead. They probably didn't enter their relationship until they were already enrolled at Pepperdine.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Griner issue was a bit different it seams. I thought the the party line at Baylor was to each his/her own. And they asked or preferred everyone's sexuality was to be down played a bit. If the reported statements from the Pepperdine coach are true, that lesbians are not wanted or tolerated on their team? That is different than Baylor issues. And I think BG showed little class throwing the institution and Mulkey under the bus, immediately after her last game.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
A lot of LGBT people grow up when they get away from their parents and go to college. At the age of 18 or 19, people don't have the life experiences to think that far ahead. They probably didn't enter their relationship until they were already enrolled at Pepperdine.
That's a lot of speculation, and may be true at times. My wife and I had a very open dialogue with our girls growing up. And same sex relationships in high school were not uncommon . And they were at a great Catholic School.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
The coach is an idiot, but I gotta wonder why a lesbian would go to a religious college. (No, not all religions are anti-gay, but the danger is there.)
As you say, not all religions are anti-gay. Then again, not all members of a given religious denomination may agree with the official position. And not all players necessarily reflect the religious point of view of the greater institution (obviously, Baylor).

I would think gay / lesbian players should investigate this prior to committing, especially as transfers.

By the way, I found the article odd as it said the players (whom I have never heard of) transferred to Pepperdine to improve their chances of making the WNBA. Huh?? Has Pepperdine been relevant in years? Not so far as I know.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
As you say, not all religions are anti-gay. Then again, not all members of a given religious denomination may agree with the official position. And not all players necessarily reflect the religious point of view of the greater institution (obviously, Baylor).

I would think gay / lesbian players should investigate this prior to committing, especially as transfers.

By the way, I found the article odd as it said the players (whom I have never heard of) transferred to Pepperdine to improve their chances of making the WNBA. Huh?? Has Pepperdine been relevant in years? Not so far as I know.

The article was from TMZ, so I doubt the investigative research was particularly strong.

Reaction Score

I didn't know that Pepperdine was a religious school. At 18 or 19, these things just might not be on a kid's radar. You're thinking about education and basketball and if you'll like the weather.

I knew kids in high school who didn't come out until they were in college. They wouldn't have necessarily made decisions based on a part of their life that they didn't really acknowledge. For my part, I didn't even really try very much to navigate that particular world until after I was in college. If you had asked me freshman year if I was gay or straight the honest answer would have been "I think straight, but I'm not really sure because I've never been really physically attracted to someone, like in person, in front of me, hot damn." That changed my sophomore year. I was 19. I can easily imagine picking out a school thinking the religious thing is not a big deal, then realizing too late that they're against LGBT players, and only after that realizing "oh, crap, wait, that might be me."

Reaction Score
Located where they are - overlooking the blue Pacific from the cliffs of Malibu(?) - I always thought they worshipped the sun.
I certainly would have converted if I attended there! (You know, to that sun deal<G>)

I didn't know that Pepperdine was a religious school. At 18 or 19, these things just might not be on a kid's radar. You're thinking about education and basketball and if you'll like the weather.
."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This issue will be much more complex than the PSU situation with Rene Portland. Pepperdine is a private religious school and while many religious denominations and institutions would disagree with the Pepperdine position it is their theology and their right. Just as Bob Jones University has had no inter-racial dating rules and numerous other antiquated and similar policies. If Pepperdine receives federal dollars for research or other uses they may be leveraged. As I said this will be much more complex.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
This issue will be much more complex than the PSU situation with Rene Portland. Pepperdine is a private religious school and while many religious denominations and institutions would disagree with the Pepperdine position it is their theology and their right. Just as Bob Jones University has had no inter-racial dating rules and numerous other antiquated and similar policies. If Pepperdine receives federal dollars for research or other uses they may be leveraged. As I said this will be much more complex.
Well said Ice. Hitting every point right on as usual.

Reaction Score
TMZ will keep this story in the press and Pepperdine will settle this quickly out of court or stand by the moral beliefs.........Either way, its not geat press for the school.......I wish both women the best and they follow their convictions..........

Reaction Score
One of my friends went there, and he said that even though it's a Church of Christ school, there are a lot of non-religious students there and the teachings are not always relevant. Which I found odd.

Hope these players will find the right school for them.
Bonus note: my parents met there :)

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
Well, according to their 2012-2013 Consolidated Financial Report, the school has received $3,546,000 in grants from the federal government, so the school is going to have to comply or give up the grants. Institutions don't get to take federal money and then discriminate like this.

Now, there's probably quite a bit more to the lawsuit but that the school gets federal money makes it much different than Bob Jones or Liberty.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
One of my friends went there, and he said that even though it's a Church of Christ school, there are a lot of non-religious students there and the teachings are not always relevant. Which I found odd.

Hope these players will find the right school for them.
Bonus note: my parents met there :)
Nice! Katie- has anyone confirmed yet that the statements were actually made? Did the coach say it to the entire team, so there will be other witnesses to confirm it?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I didn't know that Pepperdine was a religious school.
The entire conference are private religious based schools, from Gonzaga in the north to University of San Diego in the south.

Reaction Score
Geno-ista said:
Nice! Katie- has anyone confirmed yet that the statements were actually made? Did the coach say it to the entire team, so there will be other witnesses to confirm it?
What my friend said was just a side note of what he thinks of the school. Doesn't have anything to do with what happened.
I do think its a different situation if players are dating each other. Most coaches wouldn't want that because it could bring unnecessary drama. I thought the players just happened to be lesbians not 2 teammates dating.

Last edited:

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
What my friend said was just a side note of what he thinks of the school. Doesn't have anything to do with what happened.
I do think its a different situation if players are dating each other. Most coaches wouldn't want that because it could bring unnecessary drama. I thought the players just happened to be lesbians not 2 teammates dating.
My Nice comment was about your parents meeting there! Are many of these universities Jesuit? One of my daughters graduated from Holy Cross , Worcester Ma. And I can tell you first hand, they challenge you to question your faith. And Holy Cross was certainly not a conservative institution.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It has been written that,"an untested faith is no faith at all." Whether respected or not, whether agreed with or not, it is the work the young to test what they believe in, to learn to stand for the convictions of their heart and mind, and to tilt at the windmills of injustice and in those moments discover that the limits of who they will be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bob

Bob Jones dropped the inter-racial dating rule in 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul