Penn State recruit re-opens recruitment | The Boneyard

Penn State recruit re-opens recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I agree. Although I'm not sure the right word is "strange". Disturbing? In some ways, helps to explain how folks sometimes end up in the wrong program and transfer, I think.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree. Although I'm not sure the right word is "strange". Disturbing? In some ways, helps to explain how folks sometimes end up in the wrong program and transfer, I think.
Meant strange as in odd. Particularly, this,"After talking to my family I've come to a decision to take a more serious approach in my recruiting process." ???

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Not strange, certainly not odd, if you have ever met a teenager. Folks, lots of college students, in residence or freshmen to be, transfer/change their mind.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Not strange, certainly not odd, if you have ever met a teenager. Folks, lots of college students, in residence or freshman to be, transfer/change their mind.
certainly, Oz, the odd thing is the wording... To take a more serious approach, now, suddenly with the signing period looming. that is to me an odd statement when a kid has waited this long and only made the commitment two weeks ago.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I have seen college students change their major one day into the freshman year!!! When I was young, I, of course, had the maturity of a Boneyard poster...

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I have seen college students change their major one day into the freshman year!!! When I was young, I, of course, had the maturity of a Boneyard poster...
I resemble that remark.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, it happens but it is the exception, not the norm, especially, for kids who have being recruited for several years.

Reaction Score
I guess verbal commitments aren't worth the paper they're written on<G>.
All seriousness aside, what are the legal ramifications of letter of intents? That is, are there penalties (i.e. sitting out 1 year) for reneging on an LOI? Are there laws/sanctions for tampering once an LOI has been proffered?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Not sure Jim, but I know a coach can leave anytime regardless of commitments made, promises offered, contracts signed, or scholarships extended. How about them apples.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Yes, it happens but it is the exception, not the norm, especially, for kids who have being recruited for several years.

Oz has more experience with the behavior of college kids, I think.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Tell me how many top 100 players we have heard reopen their recruiting over the years. I can count them on one hand. Kids are flakey, absolutely. Reopening recruitment! unusual, doing it within two weeks after making the public announcement, rare. Saying you are doing it seriously now, odd.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
All seriousness aside, what are the legal ramifications of letter of intents? That is, are there penalties (i.e. sitting out 1 year) for reneging on an LOI? Are there laws/sanctions for tampering once an LOI has been proffered?

If an NLOI has been signed, there are restrictions on the actions of both the student and other schools. If a girl signs with a Div I school and reneges, she can go to a Div II or III school and play right away but if she transfers to another Div I school, she must sit out a year.

Schools are prohibited from contacting girls that have signed their NLOI's. I know of several instances where schools have continued to "recruit" a girl, even when she's practicing/playing for the school she signed with. I've heard of messages such as "Just wanted to tell you there's always a space for you here if it doesn't work out for you there", which is a clear and significant violation of NCAA rules. The NCAA would penalize the "recruiting" school by applying their confusing and Byzantine rules to come up with what it considers an appropriate punishment.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
If an NLOI has been signed, there are restrictions on the actions of both the student and other schools. If a girl signs with a Div I school and reneges, she can go to a Div II or III school and play right away but if she transfers to another Div I school, she must sit out a year.

Schools are prohibited from contacting girls that have signed their NLOI's. I know of several instances where schools have continued to "recruit" a girl, even when she's practicing/playing for the school she signed with. I've heard of messages such as "Just wanted to tell you there's always a space for you here if it doesn't work out for you there", which is a clear and significant violation of NCAA rules. The NCAA would penalize the "recruiting" school by applying their confusing and Byzantine rules to come up with what it considers an appropriate punishment.

I'm really not sure about the penalty. I too know of 2 (maybe 3) coaches who engaged in this sort of thing, and I have never seen any evidence of a penalty. And I consider my sources for these to have been sound (one was unquestionable). Maybe no one files the complaint?? I would think the penalty for this sort of thing should be noticable in some way, no?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm really not sure about the penalty. I too know of 2 (maybe 3) coaches who engaged in this sort of thing, and I have never seen any evidence of a penalty. And I consider my sources for these to have been sound (one was unquestionable). Maybe no one files the complaint?? I would think the penalty for this sort of thing should be noticable in some way, no?

Schools canNOT approach a player at another school without permission. Sometimes when a girl announces she's going to transfer, you'll see an article that says something like, "State U has requested permission to talk to Janie Smith about a possible transfer to their program" or something similar. That's the right way to do it. But if a coach or other "representative of a program's interests" approach a player on another team without permission, it's an NCAA violation.

I've heard of at least 3 instances where it's happened but, you're right, you never hear of any penalties. Either it was never reported, the NCAA ignored the complaint in order to investigate some school's buying a football recruit a house, or the NCAA handled it quietly.

Reaction Score
Oz has more experience with the behavior of college kids, I think.
Typically, these kids have weak home support and are trying to making these very tough decisions on their own.....They need support and love.......Good luck!!

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
I guess verbal commitments aren't worth the paper they're written on<G>.

This is the official site of the National Letter of Intent. All the strange details are there and quoted below:

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/nli/nli

What is the National Letter of Intent (NLI)?

The NLI is a binding agreement between a prospective student-athlete and an NLI member institution
  • A prospective student-athlete agrees to attend the institution full-time for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
  • The institution agrees to provide athletics financial aid for one academic year (two semesters or three quarters).
Basic penalty for not fulfilling the NLI agreement: A student-athlete has to serve one year in residence (full-time, two semesters or three quarters) at the next NLI member institution and lose one season of competition in all sports.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Typically, these kids have weak home support and are trying to making these very tough decisions on their own.....They need support and love.......Good luck!!
:confused: really

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul