Penn State players speaking publicly ... | The Boneyard

Penn State players speaking publicly ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
... should be a little more careful when choosing their words. Better yet, the school should hire the same crisis management firm the Paternos hired.

"It's criminal the way he went out," senior offensive tackle Chima Okoli said after the morning team meeting, "because he's done so much for this university and he's had such a legacy. This isn't a fitting end for all the work he's done, not only for Penn State but for the world."

http://www.courant.com/sports/college/hc-joe-paterno-1110-20111109,0,1971691.story?page=1

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I swear, is Happy Valley on another planet? They are like a damn cult. Don't talk about criminal in regards to your deity football coach... criminal is what happened to those kids, and criminal is anyone who didn't do all they could to stop or prevent this. Penn State will get a new football coach and life will go on. As for the kids?

DieHardHusky

The Blue Guy
Reaction Score
As bad as this sounds, it's Ironic that it's nicknamed Happy Valley

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I give college kids a pass on this. Until they're out in the real world, kids tend to be myopic and more than a little self-centered. A young person's first thought will be how it affects them and the people they care about. As selfish as that sounds, it's a pretty normal reaction for someone that age.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I give college kids a pass on this. Until they're out in the real world, kids tend to be myopic and more than a little self-centered. A young person's first thought will be how it affects them and the people they care about. As selfish as that sounds, it's a pretty normal reaction for someone that age.

Agreed. These guys have been looking up to JoePA for a long time and have no clue who Sandusky is. Thus they just see a lynching of their coach for what they see as no good reason when compared to the legacy.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I actually had someone I knew from college who is from South Carolina speak out that Joe Pa was treated unfairly because look at the library and the wins! She honestly believed this.

Her POV doesn't scare me. What scares me is that she is (a) married (b) able to have children.

Reaction Score

I agree with this. Every college campus is a bit of a bubble, so i understand the students would have a difficult time seeing the whole picture.
And no matter if he "did enough" or not, as far as we know, JoePa is NOT the villain in this story, so I can also understand their frustration. .....to a degree.

Reaction Score
I agree with this. Every college campus is a bit of a bubble, so i understand the students would have a difficult time seeing the whole picture.
And no matter if he "did enough" or not, as far as we know, JoePa is NOT the villain in this story, so I can also understand their frustration. .....to a degree.

Agree with "to a degree", and until more is known not sure "how large a degree" I'll end up with.

Reaction Score
They are asking the players of their opinions what do you think they will say, Joe Pa is like a grandfather to them. Its amazing how one guy can have such an effect on not only on the victims of course but the football program and university. I do feel badly for the players especially the seniors they dont deserve to go through this even though I do agree with the PSU boards decision to fire Joe Pa.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It isn't just college kids. Most people close to someone, and if they strongly admire that someone, go through a phase of denial when presented with shocking revelations about that person.

I suspect that many of these same people will re evaluate their opinions as the shock wears off.

Reaction Score

I couldn't agree more. Mob mentality + beer + being young + having your hero turned into a villain suddenly = irrational behavior. If it goes on for a few more weeks, okay, I'll say they are being ridiculous. But when you have this entire core belief about what kind of person someone is, and it's part of your identity, having it disappear in a day or two can be a difficult process to manage even for a rational adult. Which these kids are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom