Penn State Penalty Reduced | The Boneyard

Penn State Penalty Reduced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems that the NCAA was impressed with the progress that Penn State made in response to its initial penalty, so the heavy ban was taken away.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...drops-postseason-ban-penn-state-nittany-lions

"Penn State has made remarkable progress over the past year," said South Carolina president Harris Pastides, a member of the NCAA's board of directors. "The board members and I believe the executive committee's decision is the right one. It allows both the university and the association to continue to move toward a common goal of ensuring that educating, nurturing and protecting young people is a top priority."

So - in this modern NCAA world, you can make remarkable progress towards the common goal of not molesting children in your athletic facilities, and the NCAA takes your original sanctions away. But you can make remarkable progress in your APR score - a simple, tangible, easily quantifiable measure - bringing it all the way up to 1000, but the sanctions are set in stone.

Reaction Score
Seems that the NCAA was impressed with the progress that Penn State made in response to its initial penalty, so the heavy ban was taken away.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...drops-postseason-ban-penn-state-nittany-lions

"Penn State has made remarkable progress over the past year," said South Carolina president Harris Pastides, a member of the NCAA's board of directors. "The board members and I believe the executive committee's decision is the right one. It allows both the university and the association to continue to move toward a common goal of ensuring that educating, nurturing and protecting young people is a top priority."

So - in this modern NCAA world, you can make remarkable progress towards the common goal of not molesting children in your athletic facilities, and the NCAA takes your original sanctions away. But you can make remarkable progress in your APR score - a simple, tangible, easily quantifiable measure - bringing it all the way up to 1000, but the sanctions are set in stone.

It's really hard to fathom.

Reaction Score

Does this mean we can expect an invite to the 2012-13 tourney anytime soon?

Reaction Score
I heard SVP make this point yesterday............Penn State was penalized for the same amount of time as Bruce Pearl was for taking a recruit to a BBQ.

Reaction Score
Re the NCAA and the P-5, there is an old saying "one hand washes the other".

Reaction Score
Long overdue, the NCAA is cleaning up their mess at least, though it still doesn't excuse how they handled this situation. I always felt that the NCAA stuck their nose where it didn't belong here - this had nothing to with NCAA rules and regulations, it was a criminal issue. Granted there was no precedence for a case like this, not even the Baylor murder a few years back, but I still don't agree with the NCAA's punishment.

Those atrocities did nothing to circumvent or violate NCAA rules or give Penn State an unfair advantage in recruiting, on the field or in the classroom. The NCAA should have said "this is a criminal matter and we're going to let the proper authorities handle the situation," and called it a day. At most they could have suspended Paterno during the investigation. But a 4-year bowl ban and scholarship reductions? Just idiotic.

Reaction Score
Its common practice/theory in law enforcement to crack down on 'quality of life' issues to slowly address the larger crimes that a state of lawlessness fosters. But when you reduce or waive the penalties for the big crimes the crackdown on smaller things becomes petty & meaningless. Reducing the penalties is about money and power which is the very thing that created the problems at Penn State.

The privilege of certain big-time programs (UNC, Penn State etc..) are absolutely getting worse not better with the new power conference school's leverage.

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that UConn's most viable long-term solution to conference clusterf___ is that football completely implodes.

Reaction Score
Long overdue, the NCAA is cleaning up their mess at least, though it still doesn't excuse how they handled this situation. I always felt that the NCAA stuck their nose where it didn't belong here - this had nothing to with NCAA rules and regulations, it was a criminal issue. Granted there was no precedence for a case like this, not even the Baylor murder a few years back, but I still don't agree with the NCAA's punishment.

Those atrocities did nothing to circumvent or violate NCAA rules or give Penn State an unfair advantage in recruiting, on the field or in the classroom. The NCAA should have said "this is a criminal matter and we're going to let the proper authorities handle the situation," and called it a day. At most they could have suspended Paterno during the investigation. But a 4-year bowl ban and scholarship reductions? Just idiotic.

Honestly, those are fair points and I probably agree with you that the penalty was too harsh. I just laugh that the NCAA reduced it based on the "tremendous progress" they've made in the last year (as if there's a "Days Without A Molested Child: 310" sign on the locker room). Meanwhile, there was clear and obvious data staring them straight in the face that we had made tremendous progress in fixing our academic issues in hoops (some due to institutional changes, some simply due to heavy roster turnover between 2009-10 and 2010-11) and none of it mattered a whit.

That quote I isolated could have easily been used to describe our academic progress back when we kept appealing the sanctions (minus the nurturing and protecting part - and just leaving the quote as "educated" as a common goal).

Reaction Score
Honestly, those are fair points and I probably agree with you that the penalty was too harsh. I just laugh that the NCAA reduced it based on the "tremendous progress" they've made in the last year (as if there's a "Days Without A Molested Child: 310" sign on the locker room). Meanwhile, there was clear and obvious data staring them straight in the face that we had made tremendous progress in fixing our academic issues in hoops (some due to institutional changes, some simply due to heavy roster turnover between 2009-10 and 2010-11) and none of it mattered a whit.

That quote I isolated could have easily been used to describe our academic progress back when we kept appealing the sanctions (minus the nurturing and protecting part - and just leaving the quote as "educated" as a common goal).

This part can't be said enough. You're not likely to see more blatant favoritism from the NCAA than this.

Reaction Score

Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul