Penn State cancels news conference.. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Penn State cancels news conference..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
YOU CALL
THE freakING
COPS
Of course you call the cops. The point is if he reported to the AD and then was told it was being handled and instructed by lawyers, they screwed Joe Pa and put him in a box. That's all. The only other conclusion is that he is a callous scumbag and there is nothing in his past that suggests that he is not an ethical guy. As for those who saw this stuff or were in charge of public safety and the institution, they should be nailed to the wall (including Paterno if he is even remotely involved in covering up). The whole thing is disgusting and very disturbing.

Reaction Score
No, I think I understood. My point is that the failure to act in 2002 is not an excuse for the failure to act subsequently. The moral failing is one that starts in 2002 and is continued anew each and every day from then on. Especially for a man with the power of Joe Paterno. And especially when a man with the power of Joe Paterno knows that Jerry Sandusky is involved with a program for children, and especially especially when a man with the power of Joe Paterno sees Jerry Sandusky bring children on campus.

I didn't say it excused his failure to act subsequently. I said that taking away his privileges would be akin to letting a predator continue to have his way. If you're not going to come clean, then taking away his keys and office is not going to accomplish much, and not only that, but you'd need a reason to do it. Paterno is the big honcho, yet this is a public institution and you need a reason for kicking the guy to the curb. If you're unwilling to lay out his crimes to the people who are authorized to remove him from campus, then on what basis can you chuck him?

Reaction Score
+1

I don't know what I would do if I were in McQueary's shoes ... but I sure as hell wouldn't be thinking about football, my own career, Penn State, lawsuits, BCS $, university policies, or Paterno. I would be the one arrested for beating Sandusky to a pulp with a pair of tennis sneakers.

A 10 year old boy is finally thankful that someone discovered this heinous act and came to his rescue. Now the State Attorney General is asking him to come forward ... I myself would not have the guts...

Who knows where this kid is? 18-19 years old. The kid is traumatized and very likely would be unable to come forward at this stage of his life,.

Reaction Score
Of course you call the cops. The point is if he reported to the AD and then was told it was being handled and instructed by lawyers, they screwed Joe Pa and put him in a box.

Think about what you're saying there though. Penn State screwed Joe Pa and put him in a box. Riiiight.

Reaction Score
I didn't say it excused his failure to act subsequently. I said that taking away his privileges would be akin to letting a predator continue to have his way. If you're not going to come clean, then taking away his keys and office is not going to accomplish much, and not only that, but you'd need a reason to do it. Paterno is the big honcho, yet this is a public institution and you need a reason for kicking the guy to the curb. If you're unwilling to lay out his crimes to the people who are authorized to remove him from campus, then on what basis can you chuck him?

Like I said, you are too close to this. As to the first part of your response, I am not going to respond because it makes me too angry. As to the second part, that's my whole point - Paterno had a moral obligation to come clean, and he didn't.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If you really think the first incident was in 1998, I have a bridge to sell you.

That was the first one that JoePa knew about.
That we know of.
We think.

Jerry Sandusky has probably been assaulting boys for decades. He just wasn't using PSU facilities to do it.

Reaction Score
If you really think the first incident was in 1998, I have a bridge to sell you.

That was the first one that JoePa knew about.
That we know of.
We think.

Jerry Sandusky has probably been assaulting boys for decades. He just wasn't using PSU facilities to do it.

It's clear that you haven't even delved into the details of the case.

Read the dang report.

The victims go back well before 1998.

They are already 20 who have come forward.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Joe Pa owns that campus. He could get anything done he wanted. This guy was on campus last week! Joe didn't have a problem with Rene Portland either.

Reaction Score
I agre ot agree with upstater that this is an awful mess. I have to agree with him that the 1998 incident has to be taken into account in that the police investigated, ran a sting and basically cleared Sandusky. But when the thing comes up again in 2002, Paterno, and everyone else involved had an obligation to take call the cops. And Paterno had an obligation to take steps to ban Sandusky from the football facility. Whatever those steps were. And if he needed to talk to the President to get that done, tell him the allegations he had just recieved, he should have done that.

Reaction Score
Unless there is more here, I don't see why Joe Pa is being crucified. He immdeiately reported a situation (which was, at best, hearsay ) and assumed it was being addressed by the appropriate authorities. Once an issue of that nature is reported, the lawyers take over. Joe Pa would not get anymore info regarding the matter, nor could he have pressed the issue because he would open himslef up to a lawsuit from Sandusky if the allegations were false and he pushed out. I feel bad that a man who has given his life to football and his University and should stand among legends will end up instead being destroyed over something where he in reality had zero control over. The PSU administration and their lawyers should be the ones tarred and feathered.

My view on this whole debacle could not be any different from yours.

Reaction Score
My view on this whole debacle could not be any different from yours.

I don't think it is any different. Prosecute every single person remotely involved with covering up, aiding, abetting or obstructing justice. My only point is we dont know what Joe P. knew other than one instance of hearsay. Like I said, if he referred the matter and believed it was being actively handled, and he was undoubteldly instructed by University Public Safety Officials and PU lawyers then I cannot get there. If he knew and allowed it to knowingly continue, then nail him. I just have trouble understanding how he could have done it. The first duty is to protect the childen. I must assume he thought the University was actively doing that and he was acting appropriately in concert with other persons respnsible for the matter. It is a sickening situation no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom