Penn State cancels news conference.. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Penn State cancels news conference..

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
PSU's BOT voting on something right now.
Probably canning the president immediately, and removing Paterno immediately as well in some way.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
JoePa is apparently ticked off about the cancellation as well:

His son Scott is trying to set up an alternate, off-campus location so dad can still talk to the press. Scott also says that dad's NOT stepping down. Too little, too late?...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Probably canning the president immediately, and removing Paterno immediately as well in some way.

Too little too late. They quashed and stalled this thing just so he could get a stupid record? What a joke of a school.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
Too little too late. They quashed and stalled this thing just so he could get a stupid record? What a joke of a school.

So now, JoePa is CFB's version of Rafael Palmiero.

Yay...

Reaction Score

Tell me you're not serious about this.

This was a grand jury report just released.

Reaction Score
I still give Paterno some respect with what he accomplished as purely a football coach (wins on the field ), but face it folks, in all honesty, if anyone has heard any of his interviews in the past (more than a few ) years, he sounds like your typical retired great grand dad telling stories... An old wise man that tells you things (stories) for your own good ( but you don't really get until you become a parent yourself )... He's a great interview in that aspect... but, seriously, there's no way in heck the last few years he's been a true head coach in the sense we know... One that has the capacity to take FULL responsibility of things that go on in his program ( good or bad )... He's just PSU's icon, sitting on the throne until the Lord calls him home... If the interview had occurred it woulda been a joke...

Reaction Score
What a heavy price they are paying for such a record. Bobby Bowden probably feels better about himself now.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This was a grand jury report just released.

Does it "just" get released if they lose to Illinois? Or do they check the spelling a few more times?

Reaction Score
Does it "just" get released if they lose to Illinois? Or do they check the spelling a few more times?

954-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
What a heavy price they are paying for such a record. Bobby Bowden probably feels better about himself now.

Bobby Bowden's players were reckless, committed many NCAA violations, questionable academics...

...and he is 100x the person Joe Paterno is.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Hopefully Bowden will get a job somewhere so he can get a few more wins and pass Joe. Or, they can bring out Eddie Robinson like Weekend at Bernie's to get his record back. This would be hitting JoePa where it hurts most.

Reaction Score
Unless there is more here, I don't see why Joe Pa is being crucified. He immdeiately reported a situation (which was, at best, hearsay ) and assumed it was being addressed by the appropriate authorities. Once an issue of that nature is reported, the lawyers take over. Joe Pa would not get anymore info regarding the matter, nor could he have pressed the issue because he would open himslef up to a lawsuit from Sandusky if the allegations were false and he pushed out. I feel bad that a man who has given his life to football and his University and should stand among legends will end up instead being destroyed over something where he in reality had zero control over. The PSU administration and their lawyers should be the ones tarred and feathered.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Unless there is more here, I don't see why Joe Pa is being crucified. He immdeiately reported a situation (which was, at best, hearsay ) and assumed it was being addressed by the appropriate authorities. Once an issue of that nature is reported, the lawyers take over. Joe Pa would not get anymore info regarding the matter, nor could he have pressed the issue because he would open himslef up to a lawsuit from Sandusky if the allegations were false and he pushed out. I feel bad that a man who has given his life to football and his University and should stand among legends will end up instead being destroyed over something where he in reality had zero control over. The PSU administration and their lawyers should be the ones tarred and feathered.

YOU CALL
THE
COPS

Reaction Score

He also let Sandusky on campus and IN the football facility anytime he wanted. He was even seen there w/ a young 10 yr. old boy in 2007 and Paterno NEVER questioned him. Not only should have he called the authorities (and I mean cops, not administration), he should have banned him from campus. Paterno had two questions to answer: What's more important...the integrity of the PSU and the program, or stopping this man from doing this to these children? Unfortunately, we all know what answer he chose.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
YOU CALL
THE freakING
COPS

Yeah, and don't freakin let him keep an office and bring kids to practices on campus for 10 more years. You make sure he's not running a charity for kids. You maybe beat the out of him.what would be appropriate if it were your kid? Would telling a superior and then moving on be enough if the guy were still out there?

Reaction Score
Yeah, and don't freakin let him keep an office and bring kids to practices on campus for 10 more years. You make sure he's not running a charity for kids. You maybe beat the **** out of him.what would be appropriate if it were your kid? Would telling a superior and then moving on be enough if the guy were still out there?

Not for nothing, while I 100% agree with you but since Paterno is 85 years old now...and this supposedly started happening in 1998 he'd have been 72 years old. I doubt he'd be able to beat the out of anyone, lol. He could try though I guess :) Just had a funny visual from that quote!

Reaction Score
He also let Sandusky on campus and IN the football facility anytime he wanted. He was even seen there w/ a young 10 yr. old boy in 2007 and Paterno NEVER questioned him. Not only should have he called the authorities (and I mean cops, not administration), he should have banned him from campus. Paterno had two questions to answer: What's more important...the integrity of the PSU and the program, or stopping this man from doing this to these children? Unfortunately, we all know what answer he chose.

The sin was the first one in 2002. After that, there was nothing he could do. Either he's a pedophile or not, can't have it both ways. When you go to Spanier to have his emeritus privileges removed, what do you say? He's a pedophile? Then why didn't you say so??

Reaction Score
The sin was the first one in 2002. After that, there was nothing he could do. Either he's a pedophile or not, can't have it both ways. When you go to Spanier to have his emeritus privileges removed, what do you say? He's a pedophile? Then why didn't you say so??

upstater, I'm a fan. I like your posts and think you bring solid perspective to the Boards and have for a long time. But you're too close to this one. First, the sin in 2002 was not the first one; that's clear, and I'm all but certain Paterno knew it - why else retire Sandusky? That's what makes his actions in 2002 inexcusable. Second, even assuming for the sake of argument that he didn't know anything before 2002 (which is a huge, huge assumption for the sake of argument)...there's nothing that excuses a person from doing whatever he or she can within the law to prevent a person he or she believes to be a pedophile from perpetrating additional sexual crimes against children. Nothing. Absof'inglutely nothing. It's an uncomfortable conversation with Spanier? Whoop-de-dam-do. Have it. Protect children. Protect children. Protect children. Period.

Reaction Score
upstater, I'm a fan. I like your posts and think you bring solid perspective to the Boards and have for a long time. But you're too close to this one. First, the sin in 2002 was not the first one; that's clear, and I'm all but certain Paterno knew it - why else retire Sandusky? That's what makes his actions in 2002 inexcusable. Second, even assuming for the sake of argument that he didn't know anything before 2002 (which is a huge, huge assumption for the sake of argument)...there's nothing that excuses a person from doing whatever he or she can within the law to prevent a person he or she believes to be a pedophile from perpetrating additional sexual crimes against children. Nothing. Absof'inglutely nothing. It's an uncomfortable conversation with Spanier? Whoop-de-dam-do. Have it. Protect children. Protect children. Protect children. Period.

I'm not sure you understand what I wrote.

1. First off, the 1998 incident was reported to police. He was investigated. In fact, there was a sting operation. It wasn't covered up.
2. I never excused what Paterno did in 2002. Quite the opposite.
3. All I'm saying is, you don't go to Spanier to get a pedophile's privileges removed. You go to Spanier to tell him Sandusky is a pedophile. That's the point I'm making. If you're unwilling to make the charges against Sandusky, then how in the heck are you going to get his privileges removed? On what basis?

Reaction Score

+1

I don't know what I would do if I were in McQueary's shoes ... but I sure as hell wouldn't be thinking about football, my own career, Penn State, lawsuits, BCS $, university policies, or Paterno. I would be the one arrested for beating Sandusky to a pulp with a pair of tennis sneakers.

A 10 year old boy is finally thankful that someone discovered this heinous act and came to his rescue. Now the State Attorney General is asking him to come forward ... I myself would not have the guts...

Reaction Score
I'm not sure you understand what I wrote.

1. First off, the 1998 incident was reported to police. He was investigated. In fact, there was a sting operation. It wasn't covered up.
2. I never excused what Paterno did in 2002. Quite the opposite.
3. All I'm saying is, you don't go to Spanier to get a pedophile's privileges removed. You go to Spanier to tell him Sandusky is a pedophile. That's the point I'm making. If you're unwilling to make the charges against Sandusky, then how in the heck are you going to get his privileges removed? On what basis?

No, I think I understood. My point is that the failure to act in 2002 is not an excuse for the failure to act subsequently. The moral failing is one that starts in 2002 and is continued anew each and every day from then on. Especially for a man with the power of Joe Paterno. And especially when a man with the power of Joe Paterno knows that Jerry Sandusky is involved with a program for children, and especially especially when a man with the power of Joe Paterno sees Jerry Sandusky bring children on campus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom