OT: - Pellet smokers | The Boneyard

OT: Pellet smokers

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Anyone using one? Got any recipes that you really like?

I got one in late Fall. After a bunch of research, I got a Camp Chef DLX over the arguably more popular (and more expensive) Traeger models. So far I'm happy with that choice. I've got the optional sear box which I really like.

But thus far, what I've made on the smoker has been a little hit and miss. Watcha got for recipes or tips and tricks?

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
A good thermometer. Trying to time bbq is damn near impossible. Its done when its done. Ive got a thermopro tp20.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
A good thermometer. Trying to time bbq is damn near impossible. Its done when its done. Ive got a thermopro tp20.

This is good advice, even though my GMG has a thermometer built-in, you need something trustable.

One-liner advice - go lower and slower on the big stuff. Pellet grills have a built in advantage of doing this easily, and few seem to take it to full advantage. Most recipes wouldn't tell you, for example, to go 5 hours on ribs. But you can. Why not?

Few recipes that are winners for me:

Reaction Score
I’m not a pellet smoker. Never tried them.

:eek:

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
@87Xfer

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
That link is false advertising. The best smoked buffalo wings are at donahues in Madison
My wife and I have never been. But if these are now a to-go thing I may need to order some this week.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
@87Xfer

Crap. Should have searched first. I'll check those out

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
That link is false advertising. The best smoked buffalo wings are at donahues in Madison

The difference between "recipe" and "made" isn't that hard

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Few recipes that are winners for me:

I may try the wing recipe, but I'm not sure that putting the uncooked wings on a baking sheet in the fridge for a couple hours is the same as "dehydrating" them. :confused:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I may try the wing recipe, but I'm not sure that putting the uncooked wings on a baking sheet in the fridge for a couple hours is the same as "dehydrating" them. :confused:

trust me. this recipe is great.

Reaction Score
Not really the same as dehydrating per say, but does dry it out. I do the same with my salmon to get moisture out before smoking. I cure it with salt first, then rinse/dry and put in the fridge for 8-12 hours. Gets a good almost sticky coating to help get the smoke flavor. Won’t spoil because of the salt brine used earlier.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Not really the same as dehydrating per say, but does dry it out. I do the same with my salmon to get moisture out before smoking. I cure it with salt first, then rinse/dry and put in the fridge for 8-12 hours. Gets a good almost sticky coating to help get the smoke flavor. Won’t spoil because of the salt brine used earlier.
I hear you. I get a nice slab of salmon and cure it in the fridge to make gravlax for Xmas eve every year. It's always a huge hit, and super simple.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom