Peaky Blinders Season 4 | The Boneyard

Peaky Blinders Season 4

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
And let the war begin!!

Mrs Dove and I have just noticed that Peaky Blinders is back on Netflix so we watched the first two episodes. Adrian Body killed it in ep 2 as an Italian mafia guy with an NYC "Godfather" inference.

Tommy has summoned the splinted family back together to prepare for war against the NYC mafia that has come west to stage a vendetta in response to a Shelby killing one of their own.

"BY ORDER OF THE PEAKY BLINDERS!!!"

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Enjoyed the first 17 episodes, but just finished Season 3 and episode 6 pissed me off. I hate when the stay of execution comes a second before the deed is done. No need for that drama, it didn't add anything except silliness to the proceedings.

Hoping Season 4 avoids such contrivances.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Enjoyed the first 17 episodes, but just finished Season 3 and episode 6 pissed me off. I hate when the stay of execution comes a second before the deed is done. No need for that drama, it didn't add anything except silliness to the proceedings.

Hoping Season 4 avoids such contrivances.
Episode 1 will start out right up that alley. Then rages forward.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Okay...nothing like 3 frigid nights to allow for binging all 6 episodes.

Adrian Brodie was great throughout. Really.
Cillian Murphy is a great Thomas Shelby although his mood is ALWAYS the same.
Paul Anderson as Arthur is pretty intense. Cokin' and boozin' every episode.
And Tom Hardy as Alfie Solomons...what a freak of a character.

The end was another just when you think you got him (Thomas) he outwits you and you're dead. #alcapone

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Adrian Brodie was great throughout. Really.
Cillian Murphy is a great Thomas Shelby although his mood is ALWAYS the same.
Paul Anderson as Arthur is pretty intense. Cokin' and boozin' every episode.
And Tom Hardy as Alfie Solomons...what a freak of a character.

4 episodes in, I'm having a tough time with Brody in this role. Great actor, but his character keeps going in and out of doing a Brando Godfather impression, right down to way he scratches his chin.

Anderson keeps getting better with each season, but Hardy has killed it from the start. No idea where he got the idea to play that character, but damn, he owns it. Also enjoying Littlefinger's character. More subtly evil than on GoT.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
4 episodes in, I'm having a tough time with Brody in this role. Great actor, but his character keeps going in and out of doing a Brando Godfather impression, right down to way he scratches his chin.

Anderson keeps getting better with each season, but Hardy has killed it from the start. No idea where he got the idea to play that character, but damn, he owns it. Also enjoying Littlefinger's character. More subtly evil than on GoT.
Had to Google "Littlefinger". I find it weird that a British gypsy is named Alabama Gold.

As for Brodie...are you saying he errantly goes in and out of the Brando? I don't detect a slip. Maybe when he is face to face with someone it kicks in but when he is in a car or something he relaxes the Brando.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Had to Google "Littlefinger". I find it weird that a British gypsy is named Alabama Gold.

As for Brodie...are you saying he errantly goes in and out of the Brando? I don't detect a slip. Maybe when he is face to face with someone it kicks in but when he is in a car or something he relaxes the Brando.

Aberama Gold.

I don't get why Brody did so obvious a Vito Corleone to begin with. That he only used it sometimes and not consistently in certain situations seemed to me like misplaced humor or something. He didn't use it in the duel. Do it or don't, I guess. It just annoyed me.

Reaction Score

I agree On Brody. Was excellent as a character but when he thought he needed to sound like Brando I sincerely cringed.

Reaction Score
Just watched Season 4, Episode 1 and it reminded me why I liked this show to begin with. I have to watch with sub-titles, but really enjoyable.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Agree on Brody. There are so many ways to go with that character that there was no reason to mimic Don Corleone.

One of the problems with binge watching is that it does not sink in as well. I do not remember the back stories from last season of several of the female characters.

Reaction Score
Agree on Brody. There are so many ways to go with that character that there was no reason to mimic Don Corleone.

One of the problems with binge watching is that it does not sink in as well. I do not remember the back stories from last season of several of the female characters.

Same issues here LOL, I didn't blame binge watching to the reason felt it was just old age but it makes sense.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Anderson and Hardy are amazing. Gillen is better in this role than he was in The Wire or Game of Thrones.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Liked, didn't love the ending.

My issues:

A little too much deus ex machina in Episode 6. The ending also had a very similar vibe to the last episode of the season of Boardwalk Empire that had Bobby Cannavale in it. Al Capone saved the day in that episode too.

But with Boardwalk Empire, there was this feeling that both sides were out of control, so while there were some big twists at the end of that final episode, you weren't sure which side had the upper hand at any point in the final two episodes, which created a really interesting tension.

Tommy's win came out of nowhere in Episode 6. Faking Arthur's death is OK, but the pulling Al Capone into the story line out of thin air was a little much. The show needed to establish a background for the ending of Changretta, like someone telling Tommy or Polly that Changretta was pissing off people back in New York in the first episode or two. There was nothing, just someone saying Al Capone and Arthur showing up and killing Changretta. A bit of a letdown.

I didn't like how Alfie went out. He needed to die, but it should have been more elegant. Hardy was a big part of the show, and just having Alfie and Tommy show up on a beach and have a shoot out didn't make a lot of sense.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Liked, didn't love the ending.

My issues:

A little too much deus ex machina in Episode 6. The ending also had a very similar vibe to the last episode of the season of Boardwalk Empire that had Bobby Cannavale in it. Al Capone saved the day in that episode too.

But with Boardwalk Empire, there was this feeling that both sides were out of control, so while there were some big twists at the end of that final episode, you weren't sure which side had the upper hand at any point in the final two episodes, which created a really interesting tension.

Tommy's win came out of nowhere in Episode 6. Faking Arthur's death is OK, but the pulling Al Capone into the story line out of thin air was a little much. The show needed to establish a background for the ending of Changretta, like someone telling Tommy or Polly that Changretta was pissing off people back in New York in the first episode or two. There was nothing, just someone saying Al Capone and Arthur showing up and killing Changretta. A bit of a letdown.

I didn't like how Alfie went out. He needed to die, but it should have been more elegant. Hardy was a big part of the show, and just having Alfie and Tommy show up on a beach and have a shoot out didn't make a lot of sense.
Agreed on the Capone out of thin air strategy. But in 6 episodes maybe they found it tought to weave that in.

As for Alfie...he knew he was a dead man. So, perhaps being on his favorite beach with his dog was the way to go. He didn't want cancer to take him out.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom