Peach Jam Sunday 7/17 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Peach Jam Sunday 7/17

Reaction Score
I was killed for this take.
maybe it's because people didnt think your take was backed up by enough evidence and we've gotten a bit more tape on the guy recently.
or maybe when it comes to the BY lynch mob it's not what you say it's how you say it, except in the unpredictable circumstances when it's both

Reaction Score
I was killed for this take.

maybe it's because people didnt think your take was backed up by enough evidence and we've gotten a bit more tape on the guy recently.
or maybe when it comes to the BY lynch mob it's not what you say it's how you say it, except in the unpredictable circumstances when it's both

I was one of the ones who killed you for it. It would be a perfectly reasonable take now after all the games we've seen, even if I still think he's a fine 12th or 13th man. But coming from you who'd spent months just coming on here and throwing cold water on any ounce of positivity (and admitted as much) it came across as not a genuine opinion and you coming here to troll

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
And that is something to brag about? Not saying should get fired but long way from being something special. One NCAA win in 6 years is better than zero. Actually UConn got into the round of 64 in 2022 and Rutgers did not. Don't see anyone touting "UConn got into the last 2 NCAA tournaments, isn't that special".

Steve can be proud, this record isn’t even that bad given how competitive their league is and seems to be on the upward trajectory. Things never happen over night.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
this kid should be the priority for small ball 4. He’s got way more strength and athleticism than Middleton/Stewart. Like most of these guys he needs to work on his shot, but the other two aren’t knock down shooters either.

Reaction Score
this kid should be the priority for small ball 4. He’s got way more strength and athleticism than Middleton/Stewart. Like most of these guys he needs to work on his shot, but the other two aren’t knock down shooters either.

Stewart is a good shooter. You haven't been looking at the box scores... he's probably good for 30-35% on fairly high volume. Not knockdown like Griffiths... but he's good.

Coen is a total non-shooter. Worse than Andre was in high school. He has a pretty nice scoring package at the rim and is a freak athlete/defender though. If he can bulk up to 220 and hopefully grow another inch or two, and play a little 4/5--that would be the best option. He's built BIG for a 17 yr old.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Stewart is a good shooter. You haven't been looking at the box scores... he's probably good for 30-35% on fairly high volume. Not knockdown like Griffiths... but he's good.

Coen is a total non-shooter. Worse than Andre was in high school. He has a pretty nice scoring package at the rim and is a freak athlete/defender though. If he can bulk up to 220 and hopefully grow another inch or two, and play a little 4/5--that would be the best option. He's built BIG for a 17 yr old.
I asked before, but why hasn’t Stewart landed any high major offers? At this point I think high floor players like Coen might be our best option.

Reaction Score

From video at least his form on his shot looks decent, at least to me but you would know better, so maybe it can be salvaged? I mean Andre shot mid 30s last season so have to think with practice he can add that to his game.

I do get more excited at prospect of Stewart just because Castle and Ball can both shoot but not core element to their game and think Stewart could complement that nicely and create space for Castle and Ball to make plays, distribute and attack the rack. Ross is a shooter, but hasn't shot particularly well at PJ.

Coen looks lethal in transition, but just wonder how it would work with him in half court. Much of highlight tape is in open court.

Opponents figured out Andre is amazing in transition and just stopped attacking offensive glass to neutralize that and challenge him to make plays in half court.

Reaction Score

Put together the stats because I'm weird. This is through yesterday at Peach Jam.

CARR

12.2 PTS
5.4 REB
2.2 AST

1.4 TO
0.9 STL 0.8x5 1 2 0 1 1
1.9 BLK (2.8 blocks per at peach jam!)

51% FG
15% 3FG (1.8 attempts per game)
42% FT (3.8 attempts per game)

STEWART

16.5 PTS
5.9 REB
2.3 AST

2.4 TO
1.4 STL
1.3 BLK

48% FG (13.1 attempts per)
32% 3FG (3.9 attempts per)
68% FT (3.8 attempts per)

As you can see, Stewart is actually a pretty good shooter. Fairly high volume and a decent percentage--especially considering it's AAU and they're playing a TON of games. Carr is a complete non-shooter. He is 1/12 from deep at Peach Jam, or something like that. He's terrible at shooting the ball, even at the FT line.

Stewart is not the same kind of athlete as Carr. He needs to drop a few pounds and get a lot stronger. I think his athleticism is probably what's holding him back from the big-time offers. Alex Karaban had the same issue... his other visits were to Northwestern and Penn State. Not exactly the creme de la creme of high-major ball. But I am very convinced he will be a beast of a college player by year 2 or 3. Production is production.

Carr is clearly a freak athlete and has a decent scoring package around the rim. He would be a great addition to the team and I'd be happy to get a commitment. But I have a very hard time getting excited about any perimeter prospect that can't shoot at this point. It's 2022 and we're supposedly playing 4 out. Unless he's being recruited as a 6'7 post, I don't see how we have the spacing necessary. TBH I wouldn't be against that... make it a 5 out and have Carr defend the post in certain matchups. We can't be putting 3 non-shooters on the perimeter year over year and just expecting magically to have good spacing.

Considering we have Solo coming in (super streaky shooter) and Castle (getting better, but not knockdown consistently), and we're going to have a big on the floor at all times... I am inclined to think Stewart should be the priority. Shooting is the most important skill in the game. Carr doesn't have "takeover" ability the same way that Stewart does either. Carr is never going to drop 40 in a game... Stewart might.

On the other hand... offers speak for themselves. Carr has the offers to back up his play, and Stewart doesn't. We shall see! I'd be happy with either.

Reaction Score
I asked before, but why hasn’t Stewart landed any high major offers? At this point I think high floor players like Coen might be our best option.

One report indicated that people thought he was a lock for Washington (apparently not the case). Next week, once staffs have the opportunity to get back together and fully discuss what they saw, will be telling when we see who is offering who.

Reaction Score
From video at least his form on his shot looks decent, at least to me but you would know better, so maybe it can be salvaged? I mean Andre shot mid 30s last season so have to think with practice he can add that to his game.

I do get more excited at prospect of Stewart just because Castle and Ball can both shoot but not core element to their game and think Stewart could complement that nicely and create space for Castle and Ball to make plays, distribute and attack the rack. Ross is a shooter, but hasn't shot particularly well at PJ.

Coen looks lethal in transition, but just wonder how it would work with him in half court. Much of highlight tape is in open court.

Opponents figured out Andre is amazing in transition and just stopped attacking offensive glass to neutralize that and challenge him to make plays in half court.

I'd be happy with either. Totally different players, but each are very good. I don't know anything about their personalities, expressed interest etc. Just from a pure skill standpoint, Stewart seems to be a better fit. If Carr wants to play with his friend Castle, you get the commitment for sure. Neither is so much better than the other than you'd hold them off like a plan C or anything. It's a "first to commit" situation in my book.

And yeah, his shooting form isn't bad. But I don't really think you can ever turn someone into a very good shooter after being a total NON-shooter before, ya know? It takes years and years to develop that. Andre did improve his shooting... but it was only 1.8 attempts per game when he was WIDE open. Teams were still willing to sag way off him.

Coen has no half-court scoring ability. I'm sure the staff knows it and has a plan for him. He will get the Andre treatment in the half-court...and it wasn't pretty at times.

Reaction Score
Today's Peach Jam schedule:

Seattle Rotary (Jaylin Stewart): 3:30 PM ET
PSA Cardinals (Boogie Fland & Yves Missi): 5:00 PM ET
Team Melo (Ball & Ross): 6:30 PM ET
NH Lightning (Singare): 8:00 PM ET
Georgia Stars (Carr): 8:00 PM

Today's UA schedule:

Middlesex Magic (Estrella): 12:45 ET
Atlanta Xpress (Castle): 2:00 PM ET

Think both then play later in day depending on if they win or lose

Reaction Score
Honestly, it’s hard to get excited by Carr when the description is worse shooter than Andre. Does he have a nice handle and beat people off the bounce?

Reaction Score
Honestly, it’s hard to get excited by Carr when the description is worse shooter than Andre. Does he have a nice handle and beat people off the bounce?

He's an animal in the open court. Half-court he's limited to mostly dunks and 1-2 dribble layups. D1 defense is going to make him almost useless in the half-cpurt outside of lobs and maybe high-post moves, until he builds his skillset. Like Andre as a freshman, or even Whaley (might be the better comp). Form is better on his shot than Andre's now... hoping that's a sign he can develop.

He's a better defender than Andre at the same stage of his development and much stronger.

Reaction Score
I wonder why Dave Borges is down at Peach Jam. Certainly got a lot of content out of it.

It’s been a busy week for UConn. The NCAA’s live evaluation period began on Wednesday at noon, and associate head coach Kimani Young and assistant Luke Murray were in town soon after. Murray watched 2023 UConn commits Solomon Ball and Jayden Ross play for Team Melo on Wednesday and Thursday, and saw impressive recruiting target Jaylin Stewart play for Seattle Rotary on both days, as well.

Young watched 2023 target Coen Carr play on Wednesday night, and both Murray and Young were among a crowded sideline Thursday afternoon to watch the PSA Cardinals, which features 2024 Husky targets Boogie Fland and Yves Missi, play Team Final. On Thursday evening, Young watched New Heights Lightning, which features Tahaad Pettiford and Youssouf Singare’, both prime Husky targets.

Hurley and assistant Tom Moore spent Wednesday in Chicago, watching top 2023 commit Stephon Castle play at an Under Armour event. Hurley was due to arrive at Peach Jam on Thursday night, while Moore was slated to fly out to Los Angeles for an Adidas event.

It’s just as important for coaches to show their faces at games involving committed players as it is at games featuring recruiting targets. With that in mind, make of it what you will that UConn had no representation at Brad Beal Elite’s game on Wednesday or Thursday evenings. Brad Beal Elite features Scotty Middleton, a 2023 wing who has narrowed his choices down to UConn, Seton Hall and Ohio State. However, conventional wisdom indicates the Huskies are out of the chase.

In fact, Murray actually left the gym shortly before tip-off.

Alternate free link:

High-major and low-major coaches, scouts, agents: Who’s at Peach Jam, who’s not ... and why

Reaction Score
Today's Schedule:

Peach Jam -
PSA Cardinals (Brandon Williams) - 11 AM ET
Georgia Stars (Coen Carr) - 2 PM ET
Team Melo (Ball & Ross) v. Seattle Rotary (Jaylin Stewart) - 3:30 PM ET
NH Lightning (Singare) - 8 PM ET

UAA -
Atlanta Xpressions (Castle) 11:30 AM ET
MIddlesex Magic (Estrella) 12:45 PM ET

Online statistics

Members online