Patterson ready to dunk | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Patterson ready to dunk

Reaction Score
I guess, although, if I recall correctly Maia received a forearm shiver in the back from a Rutgers player while attempting that elegant finger roll that knocked her to the ground and resulted in her being limited during the playoffs that year.

I was at that game. It was Rutgers (what a surprise) and I believe it was EPP who "defended". I thought it was more of a grab and twist than a shiver but in any case it was a dangerous defensive move.

And yes, it's any player who elevates is at risk because wcbb rules don't protect defenseless players. Not intentionally, it's because it's so rare, or has been in the past.

Sadly, in most sports rules against dangerous play don't happen until a player or three get seriously hurt. It took a disturbing incident like Daryl Stingley before the NFL even thought of doing anything about assassins like Jack Tatum et al. Those blindside hits from safeties were featured on highlight tapes until that Stingley hit.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I was at that game. It was Rutgers (what a surprise) and I believe it was EPP who "defended". I thought it was more of a grab and twist than a shiver but in any case it was a dangerous defensive move.

And yes, it's any player who elevates is at risk because wcbb rules don't protect defenseless players. Not intentionally, it's because it's so rare, or has been in the past.

Sadly, in most sports rules against dangerous play don't happen until a player or three get seriously hurt. It took a disturbing incident like Daryl Stingley before the NFL even thought of doing anything about assassins like Jack Tatum et al. Those blindside hits from safeties were featured on highlight tapes until that Stingley hit.
True. Although I have to say basketball refs pretty good about recognizing and stopping people from undercutting people on lay ups and reasonably good about stopping elbows above the shoulders.

Reaction Score
If Patterson dunks with UConn far in the lead, it will be entertaining but irrelevant. If she does a smashing one or two handed dunk in a crowd of defenders during a close game, it will be a psychological dagger in the opposing team. Nobody here knows what Patterson will be capable of during her time at UConn.

Reaction Score
If Patterson dunks with UConn far in the lead, it will be entertaining but irrelevant. If she does a smashing one or two handed dunk in a crowd of defenders during a close game, it will be a psychological dagger in the opposing team. Nobody here knows what Patterson will be capable of during her time at UConn.
I very strongly doubt she will get a dunk in a “ crowd of defenders.” Any that she gets will come on breakaways. The crowd of defenders will be chasing her.

In the history of wbb, there have been few dunks and fewer that were other than breakaways. The couple that occurred as part of any offense against a defense were poorly defended one-on-ones. Not “a crowd” of defenders.

Reaction Score
If Yanna gets a few "put backs" for a score like Aaliyah Edwards did on that
Azzi Fudd missed shot towards the end of the N. C. State doubly overtime
game.. I will be watching those highlights for years to come! Go Aaliyah!
Go Yanna, GO Huskies!

Reaction Score
I very strongly doubt she will get a dunk in a “ crowd of defenders.” Any that she gets will come on breakaways. The crowd of defenders will be chasing her.

In the history of wbb, there have been few dunks and fewer that were other than breakaways. The couple that occurred as part of any offense against a defense were poorly defended one-on-ones. Not “a crowd” of defenders.
The only crowd dunks ive ever seen from a women's player was Brittney Griner. The rest are always fast breaks.

Reaction Score
The only crowd dunks ive ever seen from a women's player was Brittney Griner. The rest are always fast breaks.

Patterson has had 2-handed dunks from a flatfooted position.
I'm thinking that we are going to see more dunks off of alleyoop passes in the next few years. And those plays could result in injuries if the defender makes contact.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking that we are going to see more dunks off of alleyoop passes in the next few years. And those plays could result in injuries if the defender makes contact.
Ill take the notion of ...stand by and see , im not convinced tbh yet.

Reaction Score
It's the crowd-pleasers who get the big bucks. It's to Patterson's financial advantage to dunk.

sun

Reaction Score
Once Ayanna establishes that she can dunk during a game, defenses will need to adjust their defense to prevent it which can open up more scoring opportunities for other players.
They may want to place a big closer to the basket which could help our mid range game.
Or Ayanna can draw fouls if they play tighter defense.
And if we have 2 threats to dunk in the game at the same time like Amari & Ayana, then if they try to block one them then we can pass to the other.
A dunker could open up a new inside scoring strategy whether it's real or imagined.
That's why I think that the sooner and more often that Ayanna or any other UConn player can dunk and score, then the better for UConn.
Dunking has the potential to become more than just an exhibition, it can become a show of force and part of UConn's offensive tool box.
Ayanna should be allowed & encourage to become as proficient at dunking as possible.
It would require some team work but in some situations it could pay off by making a difference in the results.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not a big fan of the dunk .EXCEPT the alley oop. Love the teamwork and timing.

Reaction Score
Not a big fan of the dunk .EXCEPT the alley oop. Love the teamwork and timing.
In general, I'm not either. Mostly it seems like a vanity project in the men's game -- often too much irrelevant juggling to make it seem fancier than it really is. In the women's game, it seems to have another dimension for the players, like a sort of demand to be recognized. They see it as a hurdle, a mountain to climb, so to speak, and I can only respect that. If Ayanna has climbed that mountain, I'm happy to see her enjoy it.

sun

Reaction Score
Ayanna knows how to grab the rim to not get hurt.
And she's going to be leaping up to & over the rim for offensive rebounds anyways.
She bound to have plenty of opportunities for put backs whether it's a full dunk or close to it.
She won't want to miss as many bunnies as she did in high school.

Geno must respect her special talent since he recruited her over such a long period of time to get her commitment.
He must want her to succeed and show case her gifts, especially when UConn needs to benefit from them.
She wants to please UConn fans more than anything and to help the team win a NC, and to become an WNBA player,

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I can give a flying two handed dunk if she can dunk. Give me rebounding and 70-80 percent put backs and midrange and Im happy. The only time I want her to dunk is vs those old laurel lovin oranges.

Reaction Score
Ayanna knows how to grab the rim to not get hurt.
And she's going to be leaping up to & over the rim for offensive rebounds anyways.
She bound to have plenty of opportunities for put backs whether it's a full dunk or close to it.
She won't want to miss as many bunnies as she did in high school.

Geno must respect her special talent since he recruited her over such a long period of time to get her commitment.
He must want her to succeed and show case her gifts, especially when UConn needs to benefit from them.
She wants to please UConn fans more than anything and to help the team win a NC, and to become an WNBA player,

Currently, hanging on the rim in wcbb is a technical foul, even if it is done to keep from falling on someone.
per google search:

Is hanging on the rim a technical foul in NCAA?

An offensive or defensive player is not allowed to hang onto the rim, backboard, or support of the hoop during live action. If an action of this kind were to take place, a technical foul would be assessed on the player hanging on the support.

Here's a link to the rule changes for 2023:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ncaaorg/ch...s/women/2020-21_2022-23PRWBB_RulesChanges.pdf

sun

Reaction Score
Currently, hanging on the rim in wcbb is a technical foul, even if it is done to keep from falling on someone.
per google search:

Here's a link to the rule changes for 2023:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/ncaaorg/ch...s/women/2020-21_2022-23PRWBB_RulesChanges.pdf
I'm fairly confident saying that you may be in error.
First, I couldn't find any rule change at all regarding hanging from the rim after a dunk in the linked rule changes that you provided.

Second, when I Googled the question. "can an ncaa player hang on to the rim after a dunk", the results from more than one source indicated that it's legal when it's done to prevent injury.
And perhaps also as long as it's not for an excessive length of time which could be interpreted as taunting.

"Hanging on the rim after a dunk is not allowed unless a player is grabbing the rim to avoid injuring himself and/or land on another player.Mar 20, 2022"

Can you hang on the rim after a dunk?

Players are not allowed to pull themselves up on the rim, nor are they allowed to hang on the rim after a dunk attempt, unless they are doing so to avoid injury to themselves or another player.”

See the text listed under the heading "Technical Fouls for Hanging onto the rim" on the page below:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm fairly confident saying that you may be in error.
First, I couldn't find any rule change at all regarding hanging from the rim after a dunk in the linked rule changes that you provided.

Second, when I Googled the question. "can an ncaa player hang on to the rim after a dunk", the results from more than one source indicated that it's legal when it's done to prevent injury.
And perhaps also as long as it's not for an excessive length of time which could be interpreted as taunting.

"Hanging on the rim after a dunk is not allowed unless a player is grabbing the rim to avoid injuring himself and/or land on another player.Mar 20, 2022"

Can you hang on the rim after a dunk?

Players are not allowed to pull themselves up on the rim, nor are they allowed to hang on the rim after a dunk attempt, unless they are doing so to avoid injury to themselves or another player.”

See the text listed under the heading "Technical Fouls for Hanging onto the rim" on the page below:

I hope you are right. The rule changes I posted were for women's basketball and I put them there for informational purposes. You are posting men's college rules and NBA rules. I'd love it if there is a similar rule for the women but I haven't seen one.

Reaction Score
The smartest thing for Ayanna to do is forget about the dunk. It's never going to be an important part of her skill set.

Reaction Score
Okay. Let’s make friendly avatar bet of one week. I’ll bet she doesn’t get two in her “true freshman” year,
i wouldn't take a side bet on this. We need to let her actually get into a game, any game, as a frosh. However, if she gets in any of the first "big time" games for any extended period, then, MAYBE, just maybe, I'd join the bet, on the side.
Carnac, and this is my opinion of HIS opinion, sees something beyond a dunker. If I had his turban or even a towel, I think if--thats an IF--she gets significant playing time, as a leaper, she could be a FACTOR this season, dunking is often for show. I don't preclude her dunking to assure a made shot.

Reaction Score
Typically, I'd join your view of Ayanna--i.e. move on from the Dunk. But, it is obvious to the less visual citizen that she can JUMP. Put the dunking in the dunk bucket and focus on the JUMP. I'm so far from being Geno, I'm on a tiny planet on the dark side of Saturn, but if I had a player that USED the Dunk as high percentage shot, I'd buy into it.

Reaction Score
Ayanna actually getting into a game? Gets into any of the 1st big time games for any extended period ? What team have you been following?

Reaction Score
I've forgotten about it a long time ago. What are we even talking about?

I get that dunking can be a crowd pleaser and it can be a momentum game changer but realistically it's generally on a breakaway and she struggles to do even that. Alley oops are not going to happen. Nothing against her as I could never even touch the rim folks but Visitingcock has it right. It's just too hard to be routine enough to be a weapon in her bag. SC has a new player who might well be able to dunk in a run of play ( Ashlyn Watkins ) but Ayanna needs to focus on being the best player she can be and that means working on her handle and offensive moves and shooting ability and conventional BB skills. She still has a lot of work to do to be WNBA ready. She should focus her energies on skills which can make her great. A big problem is a lot of women just do not have big enough hands to palm the ball easily, which makes it so much harder to dunk. It's never going to be routine for Ayanna. I think she can be a better player than Ashlyn Watkins, for example, as her defense and rebounding are comparable and the separator is going to need to be her offense.

Reaction Score
I've forgotten about it a long time ago. What are we even talking about?

I get that dunking can be a crowd pleaser and it can be a momentum game changer but realistically it's generally on a breakaway and she struggles to do even that. Alley oops are not going to happen. Nothing against her as I could never even touch the rim folks but Visitingcock has it right. It's just too hard to be routine enough to be a weapon in her bag. SC has a new player who might well be able to dunk in a run of play ( Ashlyn Watkins ) but Ayanna needs to focus on being the best player she can be and that means working on her handle and offensive moves and shooting ability and conventional BB skills. She still has a lot of work to do to be WNBA ready. She should focus her energies on skills which can make her great. A big problem is a lot of women just do not have big enough hands to palm the ball easily, which makes it so much harder to dunk. It's never going to be routine for Ayanna. I think she can be a better player than Ashlyn Watkins, for example, as her defense and rebounding are comparable and the separator is going to need to be her offense.
I agree completely. Yes, I too expect Ayanna to be a better player because of more polished offensive skills ( though Ashlyn may be a defensive terror under Dawn’s tutelage). I want to see Ashlyn develop into a Victaria Saxon type player.

Both may get their dunks but the dunks won’t be game changing events,

Reaction Score
I agree completely. Yes, I too expect Ayanna to be a better player because of more polished offensive skills ( though Ashlyn may be a defensive terror under Dawn’s tutelage). I want to see Ashlyn develop into a Victaria Saxon type player.

Both may get their dunks but the dunks won’t be game changing events,
Ashlyn Watkins is so gifted physically that the sky is the limit for her in my opinion. I'm not sure which one develops better at this point. I like both of them. Which one will put in the work to be excellent? Which one will stay focused and not get involved in drugs and such? I know very little about Ashlyn but I sense that Ayanna is a very good kid who will stay focused on staying positive and getting better. I'm hopeful for both of them as they really do have the goods to be great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom