Patterson ready to dunk | The Boneyard

Patterson ready to dunk

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
We have seen many posts about 'she better make it' or Geno will be real upset with her.
Anyone think he isn't upset with our disturbing habit of many misses on uncontested lay-ups?

It will energize the crowd for sure...but I think her occasional [successful] dunk will be a drop in the....uhhh...bucket
compared to her ability to help the team in so many other ways....offense and defense. The season nears...go Huskies!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Geno allows and she is up to it, and we are safely ahead of Tennessee in our game this year I would love to see her dunk on them near the end of the game as Parker did to us.
Geno has no problem with a player dunking the ball. His only caveat is that if you’re going to try it, you better make it. That caveat appeared to have kept Stewie from ever really attempting a dunk at UConn, always afraid of Geno’s response if she didn’t make it.

Jim

Reaction Score
If Geno allows and she is up to it, and we are safely ahead of Tennessee in our game this year I would love to see her dunk on them near the end of the game as Parker did to us.
I equate dunking the ball only when your team is comfortably ahead as the same thing as running up the score. That is not something I think the coaching staff would allow. On the other hand, dunking during the warm-up layup line would get the crowd into the game and could give the opponents something extra to think about.

Reaction Score
A dunk is just a downward layup, and we missed ever so many layups last season. I’d like to see her do it early in games — it’ll be a bit of an “in your face” kind of thing. The opposing players — not the coaches — will get distracted trying to prevent her from doing it a second time.

And I’m not thinking the fast break running ahead of the defense kind. I want to see Azzi drive the lane, dish the ball to Ayanna, and she gets a thunderous two handed throw down. Maybe hangs off the rim for a second afterwards. Then when we play Stanford, Belibi will be preoccupied with trying to match that.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We have seen many posts about 'she better make it' or Geno will be real upset with her.
Anyone think he isn't upset with our disturbing habit of many misses on uncontested lay-ups?

It will energize the crowd for sure...but I think her occasional [successful] dunk will be a drop in the....uhhh...bucket
compared to her ability to help the team in so many other ways....offense and defense. The season nears...go Huskies!
Dunks are nice and in Ayanna's case, they will come. I believe at some point her dunks will become ho-hum and second nature. She's has unbelievable hops, and the opportunity to flush one will present itself. Ayanna will choose the time and the place. Being ready to dunk is nice. I'd be more impressed if she's ready to play. I'm more concerned with her playing well, playing consistently. SHOWING UP FOR EVERY GAME (no magic tricks), growing and maturing her game (and her person) as the season goes along. If UConn is going to make a serious run for the championship this year, it's going to be a team effort. Ayanna should be a BIG part of that run.

I'm not familiar with any of the other incoming freshmen this year in the BIG East, but I will suggest that it's very possible that the BIG East Freshman of the YEAR could be on UConn's roster. We have 3 dynamic freshmen coming in. Who knows, anyone of them could catch lighting a bottle and have a break out year no one saw coming. :cool:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Need to ask but why is it such a big deal for a woman to want to dunk or for a fan to see a dunk take place? For as many layups that get missed during games I would rather see them improve on that. Just my thought. Good luck though.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Decades ago, on the NBA Game of the Week, there was a feature at halftime called “Red on Roundball” featuring Red Auerbach. In one episode, he interviewed Julius Erving. Red asked about the dunk in the Doctor’s repertoire. Doc said the dunk was the highest percentage shot, more than the regular layup. Given the number of missed layups by UConn, I’ll take anything that goes down.

Reaction Score
This kid's dunks appear effortless. She is going to push many veterans for playing time if she gets the system down. Just like you can't teach height, you can't teach athleticism. Gabby Williams has it, and so does Ayanna. She is going to be fun to watch, and I, for one, am looking forward to the "throw downs"!

Carnac

Reaction Score
A new sheriff in the town of American college wbb! Ayanna Patterson!!!
Not Reggie Hammond, but Ayanna Patterson? I can live with that. I’m calling it NOW!!! The first time Ayanna flushes one, it will be on Sports Center, and the sports segment of most TV stations (network affiliates and independant) across the country, because a female basketball player dunking in a regulation game IS NOT an everyday thing.

It will be newsworthy because it will be an anomaly. :eek: I hope she does it at a home game. It’s going to happen!!! :)

Reaction Score
Decades ago, on the NBA Game of the Week, there was a feature at halftime called “Red on Roundball” featuring Red Auerbach. In one episode, he interviewed Julius Erving. Red asked about the dunk in the Doctor’s repertoire. Doc said the dunk was the highest percentage shot, more than the regular layup. Given the number of missed layups by UConn, I’ll take anything that goes down.

The problem I see with dunking in wbb is that for the most part players have to stretch their athleticism to it's limit and the result is that they lose precision. I'd be happier if Patterson led the nation in blocks rather than dunks.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Need to ask but why is it such a big deal for a woman to want to dunk or for a fan to see a dunk take place? For as many layups that get missed during games I would rather see them improve on that. Just my thought. Good luck though.
Good question..............The BIG DEAL for a woman to dunk is because 98% of the ALL the girls/women that ever play basketball will NEVER dunk in a regulation basketball game, High school, college or pro. Hops is a gift!! You either have it or you don't (like common sense). Hops like height can't be taught. Ayanna Patterson has it!!

Most girls/females are proud to just be able to touch the rim which is 10' off the ground. 6'5" Olivia Nelson-Ododa had the ability to dunk, she never did in her 4 years here. The girls/women's game has ALWAYS been below the rim, and it always will. Women simply don't have the ability to jump/leap as high as boys/men do. While you may not be excited by the thought of a female dunking in a regulation basketball game, there are millions of fans that are. Dunking is certainly not for everyone.

When the boys/men do it, it ALWAYS brings cheers and applause, especially if a player gets dunked on "in his face" trying to contest the dunk. That act is called "getting posterized." I can assure you nobody wants to get dunked on (over) and embarrassed. :confused: As I said in another post, girls/women dunking is an anomaly.

Most of the girls/women that do dunk in a game are 6'5" or taller. Ayanna Patterson is listed at 6'2", which makes HER dunking all the more exciting.......for those of us that appreciate that kind of athleticism. Ayanna can dunk standing flatfooted with BOTH hands. I've seen a video of her doing it.

Dunks are exciting to see no matter who does it. Just like when Stephen Curry hits a 35' jump shot just after he crosses midcourt. When (not if) Ayanna does flush one at home, you can bet the fans in the arena will go nuts, she will be anointed the Badd Ass for the game and will be interviewed by the media after the game. All I can say to you ConnMotors is just go with the flow and enjoy the ride. There are thousands of UConn fans that want to see her dunk as opposed to the few that don't. :)

A good trivia question for anyone that can answer it (I don't know the answer), who was the last (if ever) UConn WBB player to dunk in a regulation game?

What's the height of an NBA rim? - Quora

https://www.quora.com › Whats-the-height-of-an-NBA-rim

Mar 16, 2015 — The NBA rim is 10 feet (305 cm) above the ground. Infact, all basketball rims are 18 inches (46 cm) in diameter. Besides, regulation backboards are 72 inches

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope/expect to see Ayanna dunk in many games. Imagine a statement throw down in the opening quarter. I see it as a tactical move to freak out opponents. And they will be.

Reaction Score
Amen!!

Reaction Score
Dunks are nice and in Ayanna's case, they will come. I believe at some point her dunks will become ho-hum and second nature. She's has unbelievable hops, and the opportunity to flush one will present itself. Ayanna will choose the time and the place. Being ready to dunk is nice. I'd be more impressed if she's ready to play. I'm more concerned with her playing well, playing consistently. SHOWING UP FOR EVERY GAME (no magic tricks), growing and maturing her game (and her person) as the season goes along. If UConn is going to make a serious run for the championship this year, it's going to be a team effort. Ayanna should be a BIG part of that run.

I'm not familiar with any of the other incoming freshmen this year in the BIG East, but I will suggest that it's very possible that the BIG East Freshman of the YEAR could be on UConn's roster. We have 3 dynamic freshmen coming in. Who knows, anyone of them could catch lighting a bottle and have a break out year no one saw coming. :cool:
I do hope she dunks on UT. Having said that: I hope she and her class come out scoring and playing a resemblance of a Geno Defense. I hope each get 10 or more minutes per game (showing Geno thinks them ready).
"Lightening in a bottle' comes with OPPORTUNITIES TAKEN, not lost. I hope they have Carolines opportunity but not for the say reason.
The more guns and sheriffs Geno has (scorers and defenders) the less for my Cardiologist has to think about.

Reaction Score
I do hope she dunks on UT. Having said that: I hope she and her class come out scoring and playing a resemblance of a Geno Defense. I hope each get 10 or more minutes per game (showing Geno thinks them ready).
"Lightening in a bottle' comes with OPPORTUNITIES TAKEN, not lost. I hope they have Carolines opportunity but not for the say reason.
The more guns and sheriffs Geno has (scorers and defenders) the less for my Cardiologist has to think about.

Reaction Score
Good question..............The BIG DEAL for a woman to dunk is because 98% of the ALL the girls/women that ever play basketball will NEVER dunk in a regulation basketball game, High school, college or pro. Hops is a gift!! You either have it or you don't (like common sense). Hops like height can't be taught. Ayanna Patterson has it!!

Most girls/females are proud to just be able to touch the rim which is 10' off the ground. 6'5" Olivia Nelson-Ododa had the ability to dunk, she never did in her 4 years here. The girls/women's game has ALWAYS been below the rim, and it always will. Women simply don't have the ability to jump/leap as high as boys/men do. While you may not be excited by the thought of a female dunking in a regulation basketball game, there are millions of fans that are. Dunking is certainly not for everyone.

When the boys/men do it, it ALWAYS brings cheers and applause, especially if a player gets dunked on "in his face" trying to contest the dunk. That act is called "getting posterized." I can assure you nobody wants to get dunked on (over) and embarrassed. :confused: As I said in another post, girls/women dunking is an anomaly.

Most of the girls/women that do dunk in a game are 6'5" or taller. Ayanna Patterson is listed at 6'2", which makes HER dunking all the more exciting.......for those of us that appreciate that kind of athleticism. Ayanna can dunk standing flatfooted with BOTH hands. I've seen a video of her doing it.

Dunks are exciting to see no matter who does it. Just like when Stephen Curry hits a 35' jump shot just after he crosses midcourt. When (not if) Ayanna does flush one at home, you can bet the fans in the arena will go nuts, she will be anointed the Badd Ass for the game and will be interviewed by the media after the game. All I can say to you ConnMotors is just go with the flow and enjoy the ride. There are thousands of UConn fans that want to see her dunk as opposed to the few that don't. :)

A good trivia question for anyone that can answer it (I don't know the answer), who was the last (if ever) UConn WBB player to dunk in a regulation game?

What's the height of an NBA rim? - Quora

https://www.quora.com › Whats-the-height-of-an-NBA-rim

Mar 16, 2015 — The NBA rim is 10 feet (305 cm) above the ground. Infact, all basketball rims are 18 inches (46 cm) in diameter. Besides, regulation backboards are 72 inches
Since you are answering questions, and you posed this one: Why is it called COMMON sense, when it is NOT Common??
Women don't dunk because (individually) they can't. A rare Women can and in the right circumstances DOES.
In this particular circumstance; Size matters.
Hitting the 3 crossing half court. I saw that happen regularly and often before the 3 counted 3 in the old Field House. (Forgiving my spellingf_ Wes Balasuknea "the popper", UC Men lost a lot then, Wes and his teammates were worth more than the admission. The days of Thompson screaming--Jam the Rams

Reaction Score
I equate dunking the ball only when your team is comfortably ahead as the same thing as running up the score. That is not something I think the coaching staff would allow. On the other hand, dunking during the warm-up layup line would get the crowd into the game and could give the opponents something extra to think about.
I don't disagree. However, if "a" player can, in the right spot, CAN take and make the 1000 percent shot, take it any time you have it. I know, in the heat of the game, I too have seen MEN clang it off the rim into the sky blue heaven. It happens. My point is if it is nearly a guarantee, take it. It is better than a 50/50 layup.

Reaction Score
TCC, don' worry about Patterson getting more than 10 minutes per game. I was ridiculed for stating that I believe she will start. Either way, she will be one of the 5 players with the most court time through out the season.

Reaction Score
Geno has no problem with a player dunking the ball. His only caveat is that if you’re going to try it, you better make it. That caveat appeared to have kept Stewie from ever really attempting a dunk at UConn, always afraid of Geno’s response if she didn’t make it.
My point.
If you CAN make it, at the right time, under the right circumstances: Take IT! It is a high percentage shot.

Reaction Score
Her dunks will be rare. It’s one think to dunk in practice or a dunk contest. It’s another thing to do it in a game.

They will count for less than Azzi’s outside shots.

I’m not a big fan of dunking in wbb

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It seems to me that Ayanna as a dunker is similar to Belibe so maybe 1-2 dunks a year under ideal
conditions I seem to recall Belibe's first dunk led to some decent ESPN like coverage but it seemed to diminish or disappear as it became less singular.

But no doubt, a successful dunk excites the players and fans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom