OT: - Pats v. Chiefs | Page 13 | The Boneyard

OT: Pats v. Chiefs

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Two reasons. With the coaches challenge, the refs are prevented from reviewing anything not specifically described by the coaches, and the coach can only challenge one specific aspect. With the booth reviews, it's more arbitrary. Are they going to review the actions of every player on the field? Or, perhaps, they will only review actions inside the pocket or where the ball goes. So, for instance, a hold on a DB across the field might have materially impacted the play (the WR might be the QBs #1 option) but the TV guys can only address a very limited number of actions.

In MLB, the reason for having replay is to make the right call for the integrity of the game (and yes, I realize that even with replay some calls are missed). Thus, if the PI on Edelman is seen while reviewing the non-head blow to Brady, I really don't care if they decide to call the additional penalty. Rulz is rulz.

I am, in Chief00's terms, a "casual fan" these days. I use to live football, but I quit on the NFL a decade ago. I don't have a team I root for. I hardly even watch NFL games. But when I do, which usually isn't until deep into the playoffs, I just want to see a good game played fairly.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

That's what a smart disciplined team will do for ya. Kudos to the Pats. The notion that calls should be even is laughable.

Bill Barnwell had a nice piece of analysis that showed how the 'Pats getting all the calls' in general is a myth.

Barnwell in another piece, he also mentioned how the Chiefs got a lot of favorable calls in that second half.

On Tom Brady Specifically:
I'd also point out that it's the fourth time Brady has benefited from a roughing the passer call in 1,002 postseason dropbacks since returning from his torn ACL in 2009, which is one penalty for every 250.5 dropbacks. Teams like the Cardinals and Vikings have benefited from roughing the passer penalties more frequently over that same time frame, and the mark is right in line with the Pats' regular-season average since 2009 (224.5 dropbacks per roughing the passer call). It was a bad call, but it's also not representative of special treatment for Brady in the postseason, as much as that one play might suggest otherwise

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Gladly. Who cares if the championships are tainted, they still go in the record books as W's.

I'll admit, it's difficult to look directly into the eyes of glory and not be blinded by the light. It's ok.

Reaction Score
Gladly. Who cares if the championships are tainted, they still go in the record books as W's.
I totally respect your bb acumen very much superjohn you definitely are one of my go to guys on the board. Football not so much , you hate the Pat's obviously as your football agenda shows . So everything wrong in football somehow has a patriot shot in there somewhere.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought the Chiefs got more than their share of calls and non-calls. Romo even said the Chiefs hold all all the time, no calls. Yet Mahomes got off the schneid with several favorable calls. The Brady call was bad but it was only 2nd down. The Pats haters look as bad as Wilbon here.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The refs dont treat Tom Brady any differently than...wait...did he just fist bump his butt? Mancountry™

uhhhhhh....like this is the ref telling a QB the clock has started, or a TV timeout has ended.

Reaction Score
uhhhhhh....like this is the ref telling a QB the clock has started, or a TV timeout has ended.

Exactly. LOL--I mean, this guy's football knowledge is abysmally low. Holy cow.

If you look on youtube there are all sorts of similar know-nothings ranting against Brady and the refs when Brady makes the roof motion to the refs to reset the clock, and they do it.

In this case, it is obvious that the Patriots O is about to run its first play of the game. This is not a fistbump to let them know the clock is starting after a regular play. It is a fistbump to let them know the clock is running before the first O play of the game. It's likely out of a TV timeout after kickoff, but could just be for the first play.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I totally respect your bb acumen very much superjohn you definitely are one of my go to guys on the board. Football not so much , you hate the Pat's obviously as your football agenda shows . So everything wrong in football somehow has a patriot shot in there somewhere.
Absolutely!

Reaction Score
Yes, refs always fist you to let you know the play clock started.

Reaction Score
That's what a smart disciplined team will do for ya. Kudos to the Pats. The notion that calls should be even is laughable.

They certainly weren't even in KC this Sunday, 68 yards to 23.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I like that the refs continue to celebrate with Brady during the games, I think we all enjoy transparency.

All the great ones have gotten that treatment. Manning, et al.

Though in this case, it was a technical matter.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I hear you but advantage goes to the toss winner, especially if team has fire power offense (and good QB) against a 4 gtr tired defense. I'd change it for playoffs.

Like Drew Brees and the Saints vs. the Rams?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Still hate how a coin toss dictates the winner. Sure, you can say New Orleans lost after winning the toss but the odds must be much better when you receive. I wish the NFL would adopt college football OT rules.
The guys on defense get paid too. All they have to is keep their opponent out of the end zone.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom