Patriots | The Boneyard

Patriots

Reaction Score
Me being a die hard pats fan I see that we are sticking with Cam as QB1 based on the contract and the numbers. What are my fellow football fans take on this? I for one am really intrigued with a full offseason to work with including training camp, OTA’s and everything else.

Reaction Score
I think it's a great move, BB wants to win now, thats why he's not rolling the dice on someone like Mac Jones or Trey Lance in the first round. Continuity helps with that, people were getting on him because of his abysmal numbers last year, but his WR1 and WR2 were Jakobi Meyers and Damiere Byrd, get more talent at WR and TE, play short field game with more talented pass-catchers and you have a different offense. Pats were limited last season by cap space, not this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see them back in the AFC champ next winter.

Reaction Score
I think it's a great move, BB wants to win now, thats why he's not rolling the dice on someone like Mac Jones or Trey Lance in the first round. Continuity helps with that, people were getting on him because of his abysmal numbers last year, but his WR1 and WR2 were Jakobi Meyers and Damiere Byrd, get more talent at WR and TE, play short field game with more talented pass-catchers and you have a different offense. Pats were limited last season by cap space, not this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see them back in the AFC champ next winter.

Cam was awful didn’t matter who was out there trying to catch passes. This is surprising.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Me being a die hard pats fan I see that we are sticking with Cam as QB1 based on the contract and the numbers. What are my fellow football fans take on this? I for one am really intrigued with a full offseason to work with including training camp, OTA’s and everything else.

Very disappointing unless the plan is to move up as needed and draft a QB in the 1st round. If that is the plan, if they have a clear target in the draft, then I'm fine with Cam as a mentor, leader and likely starter for much of the year. I think they believe his mechanics can be corrected, they were terrible last year. His processing was also terrible, and maybe time in the offense will help.

The positive for me, along with the trade for Brown, is that the Patriots likely are not going back to a pocket passer. It signals that they intend to incorporate RPO and more modern offensive concepts.

Reaction Score

Sir, this is an Arby's Drive thru.

Unless this is UConn BBall related find a place for this thread elsewhere. Also, the patriots suck and its awesome.

Reaction Score
Sir, this is an Arby's Drive thru.

Unless this is UConn BBall related find a place for this thread elsewhere. Also, the patriots suck and its awesome.
How about helping me out with that instead of making a corny joke? Ever since I’ve joined the board after years of reading it I think I’ve been well liked and received and it has been mutual, don’t change my mind homie

Reaction Score
As a non Patriots fan I am happy with this move. Cam was awful and he will likely not get better. Very surprised they chose to bring him back unless it is as a backup and they have another plan to get a starter somewhere

Reaction Score
Honestly think it's a smart move. Draft a QB in the first round, maybe trade up - we know Bill is not gonna finish the draft with all the current picks. Have him spend a year under Cam. Use the rest of the cap space to fill out the skill players that were lacking last year. Pick up some familiar faces on D (Van Noy getting cut was a bit of shock).

It would have been nice to grab Jimmy G or another big-name QB in FA, but is that going to be the best for the team in the 3-6 year range? Maybe, but I like taking Cam back for a year and seeing who develops under him. Use the cap elsewhere. Lower floor, but much higher ceiling.

If a rebuild is a 7-9 season, a lot of other NFL fans would take that deal 9 times out of 10.

Reaction Score
I think it’s outrageous. Cam was beyond awful last year. The guy couldn’t throw the ball beyond 10 yards. If they’re willing to give him $14mm then they should have resigned Brady. They are making a bad situation worse.

Reaction Score
How about helping me out with that instead of making a corny joke? Ever since I’ve joined the board after years of reading it I think I’ve been well liked and received and it has been mutual, don’t change my mind homie
It is not my job to help you find the off topic boards. I don't care if you are liked or not.

The Patriots are still trash.

And corny jokes are the fuel on which this whole board runs. Well that and hot sauce, now.

Reaction Score
Belichick is a lost cause now.

Reaction Score
It is not my job to help you find the off topic boards. I don't care if you are liked or not.

The Patriots are still trash.

And corny jokes are the fuel on which this whole board runs. Well that and hot sauce, now.
Go away weirdo

Reaction Score
I think it’s outrageous. Cam was beyond awful last year. The guy couldn’t throw the ball beyond 10 yards. If they’re willing to give him $14mm then they should have resigned Brady. They are making a bad situation worse.
They didn't give him $14M. His base salary is $3.5M with another $1.5M in game roster bonuses. Everything beyond that are performance based bonuses. He'd only get $14M if they win the SB and he's the MVP. This is a low-risk, low-cost move that doesn't prevent them from doing anything. If they acquire a Jimmy G or other superior option Cam can either collect his $5M as a backup (not at all out of line for an experienced #2) or they'll write-off $3.5M in dead money when he's cut. On the other hand, if he bounces back at all he'll be a bargain for a #1 quarterback.

Reaction Score
Newton couldn't even go after his own fumble in a championship game.

Reaction Score
Upon further wasting time analyzing that play, Newton KNOCKED the ball away after he decided to go for it, when he actually had a chance to recover it.

Newton is taking the fall for the start of the post Brady era. While Brady plays on until he's 55.

Reaction Score
If I'm a Pats fan, I don't see how you could be good with it. Basically, you're now committing to being 2 seasons in post-Brady with absolutely zero idea of any longer term QB answer.

Year 1? I guess get Cam on the cheap, figure out what you have in Stidham. Fine. But you're going into Year 2 now with that same plan. Unless you get Watson, Russell Wilson, maybe Darnold or trade up to draft someone in the top 3 QB's? You roll the dice you find another lucky gem while going 7-9 again?

And free agents aren't exactly lining up around the corner to get paid less than market value to finish 3rd in the division. They took a contract on the cheap to play with Brady....like they're doing in Tampa now.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
If I'm a Pats fan, I don't see how you could be good with it. Basically, you're now committing to being 2 seasons in post-Brady with absolutely zero idea of any longer term QB answer.

Year 1? I guess get Cam on the cheap, figure out what you have in Stidham. Fine. But you're going into Year 2 now with that same plan. Unless you get Watson, Russell Wilson, maybe Darnold or trade up to draft someone in the top 3 QB's? You roll the dice you find another lucky gem while going 7-9 again?

And free agents aren't exactly lining up around the corner to get paid less than market value to finish 3rd in the division. They took a contract on the cheap to play with Brady....like they're doing in Tampa now.

The Free Agent targets aren't impressive. Watson and Wilson aren't available. I was hoping for Mariota, but the Raiders are reportedly seeking a lot for him and his contract is a problem. We now know that the Cam deal is $2M bonus, $3.5M guaranteed. So $5.5. He's making backup money. The most he is likely to make if he starts all year is around $8m. I think there is a good chance that he is better than last year. He knows he wasn't good and has said he doesn't want to be "trash".

This signaled to me that Bill is likely trying to move up and draft a QB and wanted a veteran leader to start the season and mentor him. I suppose it is also possible they still sign a QB later if somebody like Mariota is cut. My belief in the drafting QB scenario was bolstered yesterday with the great Cannon trade which upgraded three late picks substantially, making them better assets to package in a trade up deal. I have also hoped that the Pats would move away from the immobile pocket passer offense they always ran with Brady. The OL moves suggest that, and bringing Cam in would make sense if you wanted to use a modern offense with RPO and a little more "backyard football".

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Big free agency moves so far today.

• Matt Judon, LB (Ravens) 4 years $56M. Pass rusher who can hold the edge against the run.
  • Jonnu Smith, TE (Titans) 4 years $50. Good hands, great YAC. Should be a weapon for us.
  • Jaylen Mills S/CB (Eagles) 4 years $24M. Moved from CB to S like D McCourty. Seen as a rising player in that sport. McCourty likely retires after this season. Great insurance.
  • Davon GodChaux, DT (Dolphins) 2 years $16m. Big guy, stops the run and gets push. Torn biceps last year but was a beast in 2019 and lead the league in run stops for a loss. He gets push and can play all 3 downs.

Last edited:

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Did not like the Cam signing, but it was cheap money. And.....today's signings are solid. Throw in the possibility of Nelson Agholor and probably another WR and I feel a heck of a lot better about next year. They will be a run-heavy team with a very good team. Belichick can work with that. They still need to work hard to grab a QB prospect in the draft but they definitely haven't thrown in the towel on next season.

Reaction Score
Big free agency moves so far today.

• Matt Judon, LB (Ravens) 4 years $56M. Pass rusher who can hold the edge against the run.
  • Jonnu Smith, TE (Titans) 4 years $50. Good hands, great YAC. Should be a weapon for us.
  • Jaylen Mills S/CB (Eagles) 4 years $24M. Moved from CB to S like D McCourty. Seen as a rising player in that sport. McCourty likely retires after this season. Great insurance.
  • Davon GodChaux, DT (Dolphins) 2 years $16m. Big guy, stops the run and gets push. Torn biceps last year but was a beast in 2019 and lead the league in run stops for a loss. He gets push and can play all 3 downs.
That's a lot of money that didn't make the offense any better. I'm sure there's a plan to get playmakers there but Edelman and Jimmy White might not be back and I'm not sure what else is there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom