Patriot League Cancels Fall Sports | The Boneyard

Patriot League Cancels Fall Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No it is not the right call.
We need to get America rolling again!
Thousands of people die from the regular flu, cancer, car accidents, obesity, and etc.
We have not closed America for these problems because their is no vaccine.
College athletes can be monitored safely.
Above all wear a mask, wash your hands and be prudent with your contact with other people.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Thousands of people die from the regular flu, cancer, car accidents, obesity, and etc.
Above all wear a mask, wash your hands and be prudent with your contact with other people.

Are you willing to sacrifice yourself one of your own family members to make this happen?

I’m sure as hell not.

Reaction Score
Just a little clarification as to the seriousness of this disease:

Total cases in the US = 3.4 million. Of those, 1.7 million are active and 1.7 million have been resolved. Of the resolved cases 140K have died and the rest, 1.56 million have recovered. So using simple arithmetic we can say that if a person catches COVID there is a 9% chance of you dying.

And that's no hoax.

Source: United States Coronavirus: 3,442,728 Cases and 137,948 Deaths - Worldometer

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
You take the same chance walking in the street and going to a UCONN Hartford game!

I’ve never felt unsafe in Hartford and walk on the sidewalks. If I didn’t feel safe going to a game in Hartford, I wouldn’t go. If I didn’t feel safe walking on the sidewalks, I’d summon an Uber.

I do, however, feel unsafe being forced back to school in the middle of a pandemic.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The interesting question left unanswered is what will Army & Navy decide relative to football? The two service academies compete in the Patriot League for just about every sport other than football. In football they compete as independents.

Reaction Score
The interesting question left unanswered is what will Army & Navy decide relative to football? The two service academies compete in the Patriot League for just about every sport other than football. In football they compete as independents.
Navy plays football in the AAC. Army could play a round robin with the other independents: Notre Dame, UConn, UMass, BYU, New Mexico State and Liberty... ??

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

Total cases in the US = 3.4 million. Of those, 1.7 million are active and 1.7 million have been resolved. Of the resolved cases 140K have died and the rest, 1.56 million have recovered. So using simple arithmetic we can say that if a person catches COVID there is a 9% chance of you dying.

And that's no hoax.

Source: United States Coronavirus: 3,442,728 Cases and 137,948 Deaths - Worldometer
The numbers are there to support your claim. Furthermore though, of those who have recovered , there is no reliable measure of potential lifelong effects of having the virus. This is even more reason to proceed with caution. I recently heard a doctor on TV say that as many as 30% of those who were hospitalized and recovered will likely have serious ,ongoing complications. Not sure if his prediction will hold up, but not sure it won't. And the costs to patient's finances is far from clear also. I was at a medical facility this morning for some cardio tests, and there was a person turned away because he refused to put on a mask. He claimed his constitutional rights were being violated. He neglected to cite the specific legal basis, but there are far too many people like that and they impede the ability of society in general to get to a "safe" new normal.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Navy plays football in the AAC. Army could play a round robin with the other independents: Notre Dame, UConn, UMass, BYU, New Mexico State and Liberty... ??
Forgot about Navy and the AAC. I believe Army is already on UConn’s schedule. Army has lost games with Princeton and Lafayette who have canceled football, but still have a number of games scheduled for other D1 programs.

My question really involves, if Army & Navy are cancelling all other fall sports, how will they justify maintaining football, probably the most difficult fall sport to play during this pandemic?

Reaction Score
Assuming the 3.4 million number is accurate (and I bet it is more likely 10 times that because of lack of testing) that means we need 260 million more to get it before we have herd immunity. Either that or get a vaccine. Both should slow the cases dramatically. There is no correct universal answer to the question: is this decision correct. Half the population is desperate to return to normal and the other half want to wait until it appears to be over. Until then it is an individual choice where they fall on the issue.

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score

Thank you for your interest in killing UConn women's basketball fans.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Assuming the 3.4 million number is accurate (and I bet it is more likely 10 times that because of lack of testing) that means we need 260 million more to get it before we have herd immunity. Either that or get a vaccine. Both should slow the cases dramatically. There is no correct universal answer to the question: is this decision correct. Half the population is desperate to return to normal and the other half want to wait until it appears to be over. Until then it is an individual choice where they fall on the issue.
Unfortunately, it is starting to sound like traditional herd immunity might not work. Several folks have gotten it twice, including one out here who appears to be sicker than the first time, although I believe he had mild symptoms at first.

I so hope this is wrong, but a vaccine is the thing.

I don't have a horse in the "sports" race - it if can be done safely, do it. If not, then obviously, don't.

Spectators are the other issue. Out here, we could recoup most of our football season ticket cost, leaving a "deposit" which will hold our seats till the 2021 season. This seemed to make sense.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I never cease to be amazed at the risks some individuals are willing to take with other people’s lives.

Reaction Score
olddude:

I am 68 years old who cycles all year outside.
Yes I am in the risk category.
I wear a mask going into stores.
If you are going to wait for a vaccine for covid 19 the truth is it make take months.
So if you want to destroy peoples lives who need to get back to work, kids who need to get back to school and a country that needs to come back to normal.

My advice do not leave your house.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I never cease to be amazed at the risks some individuals are willing to take with other people’s lives.
I agree, look at what all those Governors did when forcing nursing homes to take in COVID-19 positives putting them with other at risk people.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
olddude:

I am 68 years old who cycles all year outside.
Yes I am in the risk category.
I wear a mask going into stores.
If you are going to wait for a vaccine for covid 19 the truth is it make take months.
So if you want to destroy peoples lives who need to get back to work, kids who need to get back to school and a country that needs to come back to normal.

My advice do not leave your house.
You are clearly taking prudent steps to protect yourself as well as others, just as I do, although I am a relative youngster at 65. I also cycle, hike and kayak regularly.

Nobody is suggesting that we shut everything down waiting for a vaccine. But unless and until there is a vaccine, this country will not be returning to normal.

So in the interim, everyone must be prudent. That includes colleges when it comes to sports. I want to see college sports start up as much as anyone, but it is clear that is much easier said than done. Literally dozens of D1 football programs have shutdown voluntary workouts. That list includes Clemson, LSU, tOSU, MD, Houston, Kansas, etc. The hope that schools will somehow be able to complete a football season in the fall that includes actual games being played, along with congregant travel, meals, locker rooms and so on is the very height of blind optimism.

Reaction Score

And that's no hoax.

According to Johns Hopkins, the current number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. is 3,336,154, and the number of deaths is 135,400. That means that the case fatality rate (CFR) is 4.1%.

The CDC reports that the number of people who have been infected with the coronavirus is likely to be ten times higher than the number of confirmed cases, however (WaPo, NYT). That means that 33,361,540 people have likely been infected, which implies a CFR of 0.41%.

Reaction Score
This is not the flu. Emergency rooms in hospitals across the state of Florida are filling up. More people have died in New York from Covid-19 than from all other causes- combined.

This is a deadly virus, the likes of which we've never seen before. More than 60,000 people every day falling ill in the United States.

Schools are right to shut down. We've behaved miserably as a country. We opened up far too soon. And look at the outcome: Europe and virtually every other developed country is coping just fine, and moving on. We're looking every day at record infections. And the death rate is rising.

We will likely pay with closed universities and schools, cancelled sports seasons. And a weakening economy. Again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom