Patrick Ewing gone… | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Patrick Ewing gone…

Reaction Score
The entire situation is out of control. Remember JC flying to SC to talk about going there to coach? Nothing like this. Vast majority of Friar fans are already turning on Cooley which if rumors are true will only push him away. With their recent lethargic play “something” is going on. Throw Pitino into the mix and the drama continues. Buckle up :)
If Cooley does end up leaving, has there been much speculation (other than Pitino) regarding the likely candidates to replace him? Would Becker at Vermont be a candidate? Heck of a coach but maybe too big a jump to the Big East? Kelsey from C of C?
The entire situation is out of control. Remember JC flying to SC to talk about going there to coach? Nothing like this. Vast majority of Friar fans are already turning on Cooley which if rumors are true will only push him away. With their recent lethargic play “something” is going on. Throw Pitino into the mix and the drama continues. Buckle up

Reaction Score
Chris Beard went from Tech to Texas before his horrific actions.. It happens.
Beard is a Texas alumni little different. he was going to his alma mater to lead the basketball team of the richest athletic department in the country

Reaction Score
You do feel the excitement of this league… no other league is like it…

Reaction Score
If Cooley does end up leaving, has there been much speculation (other than Pitino) regarding the likely candidates to replace him? Would Becker at Vermont be a candidate? Heck of a coach but maybe too big a jump to the Big East? Kelsey from C of C?
If Cooley goes to Georgetown my guess is depending on a “package” PC has a shot at Pitino unless he’s pretty well set for St Johns already. Doubt the Penn State coach would leave for PC like he would for Georgetown. Becker is a great coach but it’s a big step to the BE, especially for recruiting. I think Cooley stays but this is totally out of control by all parties. Everything points to him leaving and money talks but my gut says he stays.

Reaction Score
The spin by many posters in this forum was that JC was interested in being closer to his second home to play more golf. REALLY?!? That was after our disappointing season and he asked "the greatest basketball fans" to show up for the NIT game at Storrs because he knew his players needed fan support to have a chance. We let him and the team down.

Cooley might have a similar underlying basis if fans were booing his players on senior night. However it appears contact was made before that event so it could be what he will use as cover if he leaves.
Good points. Recent extended poor play including SR night & MSG might indicate “something” is going on and I’m sure there is. Grab the popcorn and hold on.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What's the issue with the NIL?

Reaction Score
I don't understand the widespread sentiment from PC fans that Georgetown is acting immorally by trying to poach a coach who's in conference. Last time I checked, we don't have some special obligation to other conference members. It's a strange appeal to a principle that I don't think does or ought to exist. Other conferences do this all the time. For example, Miss. State AD just jumped to Auburn.
And where was their morality when Cooley poached CFjr?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Between @BFieldHusky comment and the interaction between Hurley and CFJ after the tournament victory against Providence I'm not sure anything was underhanded.
What was the interaction between Hurley and CFJ?
Hurley couldn’t offer him playing time, or that was the projection. Also bitterness over the redshirt, some say.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Bulls just extended him. I'd be surprised.

Reaction Score
Amazing how nba players just can’t recruit. Ewing might be a fine nba coach, but acquiring players is typically a struggle for all nba guys except maybe penny, who wa don’t aau guy.

Ollie struggled at the end too. “Compton, nba player, young…hold my beer I will go play for Calipari.”

Just makes no sense.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What was the interaction between Hurley and CFJ?
Hurley was talking with CFJ for several minutes after the handshaking line and both were laughing and smiling throughout. BF came to this forum and made one post that stated the only departure that upset our staff was the departure of Akok.

Reaction Score
Correct. I misread that. I see on page 36 or 37 on the thread "Coaching Carousel".

Reaction Score
Amazing how nba players just can’t recruit. Ewing might be a fine nba coach, but acquiring players is typically a struggle for all nba guys except maybe penny, who wa don’t aau guy.

Ollie struggled at the end too. “Compton, nba player, young…hold my beer I will go play for Calipari.”

Just makes no sense.
Ollie recruited really well. He got Jalen Adams who was 23rd in the country and 5th ranked point guard nationally. Daniel Hamilton was 17th nationally, Alterique was a McDonald's all-American and headlined the 8th best class nationally. Ollie's problem was he stopped doing his job and couldn't run a program, recruiting fell off the cliff because of it.

Reaction Score

Applications have gone up everywhere. We’re in the midst of the highest mumber of high school graduates and the highest number of college applications ever. And it won’t peak for a couple more years. And then it drops off a Cliff. Did you notice that Northeastern had 90,000 applications last year? That wasn’t because of their hockey team.

This isn’t like 1987 when PC went to the Final Four. Or like UConn in our championship years. Or like 1985 at BC after Flutie threw the Hail Mary against Miami. Or like Villanova after the championships in recent years. Cooley has done nothing to bring that kind of attention to Providence.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Say he's staying at PC and it ends the cloud. And that type of cloud almost always impacts teams performance.

So why not come out and say it?

Best case scenario is he told his players and coaches he's definitely not leaving and allowing the circus surrounding him make opposing teams coaches think Providence is going to underperform.
But that could affect decisions from recruits, transfers and current players?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom