Paterno and Spanier both fired! | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Paterno and Spanier both fired!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
from ESPN:
In light of the child sex-abuse scandal at Penn State, Joe Paterno's name has been removed from the new Big Ten championship trophy, the conference announced Monday.
The Big Ten said that the crisis at Penn State, which led to Paterno's firing as coach Wednesday night, prompted the decision to remove his name from the trophy. The new trophy, to be awarded Dec. 3 at the inaugural Big Ten football championship game at Indianapolis, had been named for both Paterno and former University of Chicago coach Amos Alonzo Stagg.
It will now be known only as the Stagg Championship Trophy.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
It was 1998, Kait, when the very first mother filed a complaint. It was the one when DA Gricar decided to not prosecute. The least that should have happened was that charges should have been filed even if later dropped. Doing that would have served the community warning.

As an aside, if there is no basis for charges to be filed, filing them is prosecutorial misconduct, not to mention unethical (per the State Bar).

It is curious, however, that charges were not filed, given what seems to be an admission of "some" inappropriate activity by Sandusky. However, we do not know why charges were not filed, and it is possible we never will.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Also from ESPN: President of The Second Mile resigns

Plus this quote:

"Meanwhile, law enforcement sources told ABC News that the Sandusky case "has generated a strong public response." Sources said the case "has generated multiple leads" and "information from the public" that has required state police to commit additional investigative resources to the case."

LINK

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
from ESPN:
In light of the child sex-abuse scandal at Penn State, Joe Paterno's name has been removed from the new Big Ten championship trophy, the conference announced Monday.
The Big Ten said that the crisis at Penn State, which led to Paterno's firing as coach Wednesday night, prompted the decision to remove his name from the trophy. The new trophy, to be awarded Dec. 3 at the inaugural Big Ten football championship game at Indianapolis, had been named for both Paterno and former University of Chicago coach Amos Alonzo Stagg.
It will now be known only as the Stagg Championship Trophy.

I read somewhere that members of the Stagg family were among those advocating for removal of Paterno's name.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As an aside, if there is no basis for charges to be filed, filing them is prosecutorial misconduct, not to mention unethical (per the State Bar).

It is curious, however, that charges were not filed, given what seems to be an admission of "some" inappropriate activity by Sandusky. However, we do not know why charges were not filed, and it is possible we never will.
And yet it is done on the amount of information that was at hand. It certainly was within the realm of debatable action. Given Gricar's disappearance and apparent death it is very unlikely we will even know.

I did not mean to suggest, Cam, that it should simply be done in all cases. Indeed there must be some basis.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Speaking of which, where was Sandusky's wife in all of this? I doubt she had no clue. What with the number of 'near misses' over the years, Sandusky's 'retirement', his propensity to cling physically to these boys at all times, etc., she had at minimum to suspect something. I'd be surprised if she didn't catch JS on occasion (we're talking 30+ years here). The family was awash in damaged young boys and Sandusky has shown himself to be less than discrete in these matters.
This is a good question. I linked an article earlier in this thread that discusses sexual abuse. It estimates the number of sexual attacks on minors and how infrequently cases are reported. It is estimated that between 1% and 10% of all child sexual abuse gets reported.

Mrs Sandusky may have known, may have suspected or been clueless. We won't really know unless she admits to knowing. Even if she knows, I doubt she will admit that after the way people turned on Paterno and McQuery. Individual cases are hard to know definitively, one way or the other.

But those group numbers are condemning. As I've mentioned my wife counseled many people who were abused as children. In almost all the cases there were family members who these "children" believed knew their spouse, or another family member, was sexually assaulting the child, but took no action.

The body of evidence is that most people go through denial when confronted with shocking events. This doesn't excuse behavior. It explains behavior.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
New York Times reports up to ten more youngsters have come forward.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Interesting that as of 11:30, no one else appears to have the story, I checked Boston, Philly, and Washington.
The Washington Post complained on its first page on Sunday of its inadequacy on the story and has been scooped again.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
now they say McQ STOPPED the rape....

Sandsky speaks... he's nuts!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
On "The Ed Show" on MSNBC, there was considerable discussion about the judge (District Judge Leslie Dutchcot) who was so lenient with Sandusky. Prosecutors wanted $500,000 bail and that he be required to wear a leg monitor; she let him off with $100,000 in unsecured bail and no restrictions on his movements. It turns out that she has donated money to and done volunteer work for the Second Mile foundation, that a senior officer (president?) held fundraisers for her campaign, and that she knew that Sandusky's house actually abuts an elementary school. So he is free to roam, thanks to her. It seems like a clear case of conflict of interest and she should have recused.

(Grammar note. Widespread common usage almost always reads, "recused herself," but I disagree. I believe this use of "recuse" as a transitive verb occurs because it sort of rhymes with "excuse him/her/myself." I think the closest synonym is "withdraw," not "disqualify," so an object is not only unneeded but incorrect. Try this: "The judge ascertained that it would be a conflict of interest to hear the case so she recused." Helpful comments welcome. It's almost 2 a.m. so I hereby recuse.)

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Some financial data. When Sandusky retired in 1999 (I await the details on that), he took a lump sum of $148,271 and has gotten $58,898 annually ever since. Gary Schultz took a lump sum payment of $421,847 when he retired and collects $27,558 monthly.

Financial information about Paterno, McGreavy et al not yet available.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
"Paterno — the 84-year-old legend with the most wins by any coach in college football — remained the university’s highest-paid employee despite seeing his pay fall about 8 percent — or $87,183 — from 2008, the Post-Gazette reported.

According to the filing, Paterno’s base pay increased 2 percent to $554,136, but the Post-Gazette reported that his other reportable income dropped. His total compensation was $1,022,794.

The Post-Gazette stated that Penn State did not have to show the earnings of any of its employees until January 2009 when the state’s expanded Right to Know Law went into effect."

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-05-29/joe-paternos-pay-drops-but-still-penn-states-highest-paid-employee#ixzz1dlx6fU1w

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom