Reaction Score
interview with Robin Roberts

(for those who are interested)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
interview with Robin Roberts

(for those who are interested)
I think we should all be interested. Pat is important to women's basketball and I'm interested in what she will say.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I saw a teaser on GMA this morning. I'm not a fan of Summitt the coach but she is a legend of wcbb. I'll watch.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I am not a fan of Pat either, but her record demands respect. I hope she talks about her disease, because, as a high profile person, she can do a lot of good by discussing it.

Reaction Score
I am not a fan of TN, but I Coach S. has an amazing record. She has done a lot for women in sports. I am interested in what she has to say.....I always like to hear what people who excel have to say.

I wish there was a way for UConn and TN to be playing each other again.....those games were epic!!! As some else posted a while back, maybe on a neutral court with the proceeds of the game being donated to charity.

Reaction Score
why even reply to this topic... u saw her name in the heading you could have just kept moving (shrugs)

Choc, you in charge here or something. Previous post "I think we should all be interested", don't agree. You have some problem with that? Keep Choc'n along as you see fit, you want to post about a coach that refuses to play Uconn, calls Uconn's coach a cheat through her minions, that's on you. This is a Uconn board, don't care about some nasty coach of another team. Someone says "I should" and I straigten them out.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Choc, you in charge here or something. Previous post "I think we should all be interested", don't agree. You have some problem with that? Keep Choc'n along as you see fit, you want to post about a coach that refuses to play Uconn, calls Uconn's coach a cheat through her minions, that's on you. This is a Uconn board, don't care about some nasty coach of another team. Someone says "I should" and I straigten them out.

knock it off... you're looking bad posting in this thread
If you're not interest move on, dont let a basketball forum define your character.

Reaction Score
knock it off... you're looking bad posting in this thread
If you're not interest move on, dont let a basketball forum define your character.

You want to post about a coach who calls the Uconn coach a liar and cheat here, that's on you. You've already defined your character by all the non Uconn people you come here to defend.

Reaction Score
One can watch or not, but casting disparaging about another whether true or not true, is not correct. You do not want to take her when she is down!

Reaction Score
I'm not interested.

This poster is entitled to express his opinion as is Daddychoc....
u saw his response and you could have just kept moving (shrugs), might want to heed your own words.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Husky68 - The thread was about a woman who is struggling with a terrible disease. She just happens to be Pat Summitt. I probably dislike Summitt the coach as much as you do but I'm adult enough to be able to distinguish between Summitt the human being and Summitt the coach.

Maybe you should have watched the show. It would have been a fine opportunity for you to gloat over her present circumstance.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Hate Pat, if you must, but remember, this disease does not discriminate and can affect all of us in some way, either directly or indirectly. Sometimes it takes these type of things to touch high profiled individuals in order for true medical advances to occur. If advances are made, in some way, we will ALL benefit. The interview was very enlightening to me and I am hopeful that Pat will get all the attention that the Mayo Clinic can offer and strides are made with how to deal with this disease. I've seen this disease attack way too many of my family and loved ones. It's saddening and right now, I have a dear aunt dealing with this today. The kind words from most of you speak to your true character, which goes well beyond some game played in the borders of a court.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If you want to help yourself be resistant to Alzheimer's then start learning a second language. This is one thing that has been consistent across the known history of the disease. Neurologists believe it has to do with creating new neural pathways.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Well, I missed the show for a rehearsal was scheduled, and would be interested in hearing some details. I have had quite a bit of experience with the disease in a former occupation.
anyone care to summit-rize (sorry about that)?

Reaction Score
I just watched the interview. I'll be honest, I was really hoping that I would gain more respect for Pat and how she could help to be a spokesperson for this devastating disease. My grams had it, my mother-in-law has it and my mom is showing signs. Unfortunately it was not what I had hoped for. Looked like a typical UT recruiting piece, and very little regarding the bigger picture regarding the disease itself. Just my opinion, Pat is missing a great opportunity to educate and put life's bigger picture into perspective.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
I just watched the interview. I'll be honest, I was really hoping that I would gain more respect for Pat and how she could help to be a spokesperson for this devastating disease. My grams had it, my mother-in-law has it and my mom is showing signs. Unfortunately it was not what I had hoped for. Looked like a typical UT recruiting piece, and very little regarding the bigger picture regarding the disease itself. Just my opinion, Pat is missing a great opportunity to educate and put life's bigger picture into perspective.
I'm not really sure what else you were expecting from Pat. She wasn't the one that produced the piece. She talked about how she handled the diagnosis, ways that she is trying to keep her mind sharp, and that she isn't giving up and will beat it. The piece was not very long and I do think they could have had more info about the disease itself but that isn't Pat's fault.

Reaction Score
Pat has a very strong personality and have read her books. If she sets her mind to do something she does it. I just did not get a feeling from the interview that being a spokesperson for this disease was on her agenda. I could be wrong and agree that she had no control over what was aired. I just think she can help open the hearts and minds of so many if she uses her popularity and influence to become that spokesperson.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

This is exactly what I saw, too. It,also, sent a message that is unrealistic for people dealing with this horrible issue. It is not something that can be overcome by will and trying harder. At least not in the way one can do so on the field of competition.

Pat had no control over the production of the piece but, also, unfortunately has no real control over the progress of the disease. The fight likely more important for her sense of self than anything else.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
This is exactly what I saw, too. It,also, sent a message that is unrealistic for people dealing with this horrible issue. It is not something that can be overcome by will and trying harder. At least not in the way one can do so on the field of competition.
What I found sad it that it will feed into the unreal expectations of the Tennessee fans in regards to her prognosis and ability to keep coaching. Yes, she can coach as long as she is able, but it's not as long as she wants. The disease controls that.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
What I found sad it that it will feed into the unreal expectations of the Tennessee fans in regards to her prognosis and ability to keep coaching. Yes, she can coach as long as she is able, but it's not as long as she wants. The disease controls that.
Yes.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
Pat has a very strong personality and have read her books. If she sets her mind to do something she does it. I just did not get a feeling from the interview that being a spokesperson for this disease was on her agenda. I could be wrong and agree that she had no control over what was aired. I just think she can help open the hearts and minds of so many if she uses her popularity and influence to become that spokesperson.
I don't think she needs to be a spokesperson for the disease. IMO the most inspiring is for her to enjoy the time she has and not give up. There isn't much she can do to fight the disease but she is doing everything her doctors say. She didn't even have to come public at all and certainly didn't have to do this interview. Her going public does bring attention and money to the disease. I would imagine it is hard for people with dementia to talk to the press since there may be a fear of forgetting something. She has only known that she has the disease for about 6 months and I think she has handled everything very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom