Pat Summitt On 20/20 Tonight - Abc | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Pat Summitt On 20/20 Tonight - Abc

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It's a pretty sad commentary on our society when most of last night's show was devoted (yet again) to Michael Jackson's death.

I think there was one Q&A with Summitt about her coping with the disease being an inspiration to others. It wasn't part of the broadcast but is in the video on the ESPN women's BB website. I was bothered most by the emphasis on championships and "cutting down nets" and Summitt admiring her trophies while saying "we need nine." Do you really need nine? Eight hasn't done the trick? What need would the ninth trophy fill? I understanding wanting to win, but needing yet another trophy struck me as an odd thing to say, particularly given the circumstances. The focus on yet another (needed) championship detracted from the more important message of continuing to push forward in life in spite of the diagnosis. The dementia sufferers out there have greater needs than trophies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't think she needs to be a spokesperson for the disease. IMO the most inspiring is for her to enjoy the time she has and not give up. There isn't much she can do to fight the disease but she is doing everything her doctors say. She didn't even have to come public at all and certainly didn't have to do this interview. Her going public does bring attention and money to the disease. I would imagine it is hard for people with dementia to talk to the press since there may be a fear of forgetting something. She has only known that she has the disease for about 6 months and I think she has handled everything very well.
JMPenn, that is a very fair statement and good observation. I am sure that when it came to editing ABC was very concerned about anything that might embarrass Pat. I would have expected nothing less.

Reaction Score
I have and had several Aunts with this dreaded disease and my heart goes out to her and her family. PHS, you are on my daily prayer list and my the Good Lord keep you safe and healthy, otherwise.

Jmpenn

LVFan; Equitable Visitor
Reaction Score
I just watched the interview. I'll be honest, I was really hoping that I would gain more respect for Pat and how she could help to be a spokesperson for this devastating disease. My grams had it, my mother-in-law has it and my mom is showing signs. Unfortunately it was not what I had hoped for. Looked like a typical UT recruiting piece, and very little regarding the bigger picture regarding the disease itself. Just my opinion, Pat is missing a great opportunity to educate and put life's bigger picture into perspective.
I just wanted to add how sorry I am that your grams had it and your mother-in-law has it. I really hope that your mom does not have it!! My grandmother also had dementia and it was so hard on the entire family. Now my greatest fear is that my mom will have it as well and I get so worried every time she forgets anything. I hope you do not have to deal with this horrible disease for a 3rd time. I can't even imagine.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I just wanted to add how sorry I am that your grams had it and your mother-in-law has it. I really hope that your mom does not have it!! My grandmother also had dementia and it was so hard on the entire family. Now my greatest fear is that my mom will have it as well and I get so worried every time she forgets anything. I hope you do not have to deal with this horrible disease for a 3rd time. I can't even imagine.
There is indeed a reason it is called The 36 Hour Day for those who are caregivers for those with dementia. Having, also, experienced a father in law and almost ten parishioner families affected by it my thoughts and prayers continue for Pat and all those affected here and everywhere.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Pat has a very strong personality and have read her books. If she sets her mind to do something she does it. I just did not get a feeling from the interview that being a spokesperson for this disease was on her agenda. I could be wrong and agree that she had no control over what was aired. I just think she can help open the hearts and minds of so many if she uses her popularity and influence to become that spokesperson.

While you may not have gotten that feeling, Pat did indeed do the interview with the intent of the airing being to inspire others and bring attention to the disease. Reports that I've heard from someone who was there is that there was alot of time spent interviewing, but once ABC got done hacking it up and squeezing it into Michael Jackson story (yet again), there was alot left to be desired from those that wanted to hear more about the disease. Typical t.v. stuff. It's all about the ratings. If you recall, there was a segment where they showed Pat playing the games, but that was a very brief portion of what was aired. I would be willing to bet they spent alot more time than what was aired talking about the games and other things that Pat is doing to fight the disease. Meantime, the airing started with alot of clips on the history of TN. That was all a bunch of stuff they dug out of the archives, so no way did Pat have anything to do with that.

Reaction Score
I was bothered most by the emphasis on championships and "cutting down nets" and Summitt admiring her trophies while saying "we need nine." Do you really need nine? Eight hasn't done the trick? What need would the ninth trophy fill? I understanding wanting to win, but needing yet another trophy struck me as an odd thing to say, particularly given the circumstances.

What would concern me is the possibility of more-than-fair pressure this could place on her team this year. It's one thing to have the pressure of big-time college athletics, but this goes so far beyond in terms of what the kids might feel if they were not to achieve this.

Reaction Score
I want to believe so visitor and agree that the network probably cut out more pertinent parts of the interview. Because the disease can worsen without warning I hope Pat gets the chance to be a spoke person. So few famous people have been able to become advocates due to the illness itself. Ronald Regan was the 1st I can recall but he must have slipped further away shortly after going public. For my family members traumatic events triggered their decline (emergency room for falling).

Reaction Score
What would concern me is the possibility of more-than-fair pressure this could place on her team this year. It's one thing to have the pressure of big-time college athletics, but this goes so far beyond in terms of what the kids might feel if they were not to achieve this.
If you remember NC State and when Kay Yow was sick and still coaching her kids played inspired. I was so impressed by those players, I'm certain the UT players are receiving support and will be better for the experience.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ronald Regan was the 1st I can recall but he must have slipped further away shortly after going public. For my family members traumatic events triggered their decline (emergency room for falling).
CTPaul, that is a very typical part of the process. Plateauing is typical and traumatic physical or emotional events can push patients off of those plateaus.

Phases or plateaus.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I'm sure the players and staff are driven to get Pat one more NC.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
I want to believe so visitor and agree that the network probably cut out more pertinent parts of the interview. Because the disease can worsen without warning I hope Pat gets the chance to be a spoke person. So few famous people have been able to become advocates due to the illness itself. Ronald Regan was the 1st I can recall but he must have slipped further away shortly after going public. For my family members traumatic events triggered their decline (emergency room for falling).

I'm no doctor, but I'm hearing that Pat learned of the disease very early, which means she very well could have the chance to be a spoke person. It seems most are not as lucky as Pat and do not even have knowledge that they have the disease for quite a few more years when the signs are alot more often and symptoms are alot more apparent. I know that some in my family were never treated until others noticed the problems had become so bad that they needed help. Fortunately for Pat, she's been much more proactive. Hopefully, it will pay off in longevity, not for the program, but for her the person.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Couldn't bring myself to listen...lot of work to do. But I did look at the pix of her when she was a child and thought they were great! They really helped me with my ancient, CT bred dislike for her. You should scroll through....

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It's a pretty sad commentary on our society when most of last night's show was devoted (yet again) to Michael Jackson's death.

I think there was one Q&A with Summitt about her coping with the disease being an inspiration to others. It wasn't part of the broadcast but is in the video on the ESPN women's BB website. I was bothered most by the emphasis on championships and "cutting down nets" and Summitt admiring her trophies while saying "we need nine." Do you really need nine? Eight hasn't done the trick? What need would the ninth trophy fill? I understanding wanting to win, but needing yet another trophy struck me as an odd thing to say, particularly given the circumstances. The focus on yet another (needed) championship detracted from the more important message of continuing to push forward in life in spite of the diagnosis. The dementia sufferers out there have greater needs than trophies.
I understand what you're saying, but I think the mentality that "needs" a ninth trophy is the same one that drove her to coach Tennessee to eight. That's why she's accomplished what she's accomplished in her career- she NEEDS to win. For people who are great at something, excelling at that thing is often an obsession. Letting go is tough. I don't think Pat could coach without that need consuming her. And BTW, this is not a criticism of her on my part- just a thought.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I understand what you're saying, but I think the mentality that "needs" a ninth trophy is the same one that drove her to coach Tennessee to eight. That's why she's accomplished what she's accomplished in her career- she NEEDS to win. For people who are great at something, excelling at that thing is often an obsession. Letting go is tough. I don't think Pat could coach without that need consuming her. And BTW, this is not a criticism of her on my part- just a thought.

Yes, you're right. There's a part of me that expected (hoped) to hear that Summitt has redefined her needs in light of her diagnosis. Then again, she's probably still in a little bit of denial on an emotional level which is understandable; after all, she is still functioning at a very high level. Knowing as I do what has driven her all of these years, it's my expectations that are unreasonable.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
What I found sad it that it will feed into the unreal expectations of the Tennessee fans in regards to her prognosis and ability to keep coaching. Yes, she can coach as long as she is able, but it's not as long as she wants. The disease controls that.
Sad but true.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
While you may not have gotten that feeling, Pat did indeed do the interview with the intent of the airing being to inspire others and bring attention to the disease. Reports that I've heard from someone who was there is that there was alot of time spent interviewing, but once ABC got done hacking it up and squeezing it into Michael Jackson story (yet again), there was alot left to be desired from those that wanted to hear more about the disease. Typical t.v. stuff. It's all about the ratings. If you recall, there was a segment where they showed Pat playing the games, but that was a very brief portion of what was aired. I would be willing to bet they spent alot more time than what was aired talking about the games and other things that Pat is doing to fight the disease. Meantime, the airing started with alot of clips on the history of TN. That was all a bunch of stuff they dug out of the archives, so no way did Pat have anything to do with that.
And the quest for ratings demonstrates what more viewers prefer to watch. This means the numbers of viewers interested in the events surrounding MJ's death are greater than what is happening to Pat. These forums are a perfect microcosm of the the macrocosm of the world. Different people have different priorities, different perspectives and different reactions to events.

Reaction Score
Letting go is tough, just ask JoePA.[

But letting go can also speed the advance of the disease---research backs this up? Pat has said "(Coaching) keeps me going. It's who I am."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom