Pass the Dam Ball | The Boneyard

Pass the Dam Ball

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
One point we havent been firing on all cylinders this season. We need to all get on the same page, and that starts with having confidence in everybody on the floor and sharing the ball. The one stat I want to see look better is assists which will mean we are passing the ball and getting everybody involved. PASS the Dam Ball. It has appeared that CD CW and MW are the only players shooting the ball. There have been a bunch of posts mentioning Anna is wide open and shes not getting the ball. That has got to change. We can no longer play 3 on 5 against top teams and if we continue, much like the Oregon game have two top scorers not shooting well then we get clobbered playing CD against Oregon or 1 on 5. We need everybody on the floor involved.

A suggestion. Early in the game get the ball to Kyla Anna Liv and run a play to get them open to shoot. Defenses seem to be keying on MW CW and CD. That should open things up a little for our big 3. Liv has looked better espeically in the Oregon game and Anna has had constant improvement game after game. Anna can light it up but we have to get her the ball more often and she needs to be in position to shoot. Run plays for Kyla Liv and Anna throughout the game but espeically early in the game. I would like to see Anna as the trailor on the fast break too much like KML used to be.

So tomorrow nite we've got Memphis. Lets see what happens.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
One point we havent been firing on all cylinders this season. We need to all get on the same page, and that starts with having confidence in everybody on the floor and sharing the ball. The one stat I want to see look better is assists which will mean we are passing the ball and getting everybody involved. PASS the Dam Ball. It has appeared that CD CW and MW are the only players shooting the ball. There have been a bunch of posts mentioning Anna is wide open and shes not getting the ball. That has got to change. We can no longer play 3 on 5 against top teams and if we continue, much like the Oregon game have two top scorers not shooting well then we get clobbered playing CD against Oregon or 1 on 5. We need everybody on the floor involved.

A suggestion. Early in the game get the ball to Kyla Anna Liv and run a play to get them open to shoot. Defenses seem to be keying on MW CW and CD. That should open things up a little for our big 3. Liv has looked better espeically in the Oregon game and Anna has had constant improvement game after game. Anna can light it up but we have to get her the ball more often and she needs to be in position to shoot. Run plays for Kyla Liv and Anna throughout the game but espeically early in the game. I would like to see Anna as the trailor on the fast break too much like KML used to be.

Personally, I'm beginning to think it's not about lack of trust in Anna by 3 starters but perhaps not wanting a foreign "freshman" racking up better numbers. I'm aware this is an ugly thought but it's quite obvious players are refusing to pass when Anna shifts into scoring position and is ready or opponents fail to cover her and she is waiting for a pass that never comes.

I'm actually amazed coach hasn't fixed this by now. Just As I See It.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Personally, I'm beginning to think it's not about lack of trust in Anna by 3 starters but perhaps not wanting a foreign "freshman" racking up better numbers. I'm aware this is an ugly thought but it's quite obvious players are refusing to pass when Anna shifts into scoring position and is ready or opponents fail to cover her and she is waiting for a pass that never comes.

I'm actually amazed coach hasn't fixed this by now. Just As I See It.

When I see Kara Wolters or Meghan Culmo or Rebecca Lobo telestrate that, then I will take this talk (the non-ethnic parts at least) seriously. .

Reaction Score
The reason it pops out that Ania isn't getting the ball when she's the open man is that she works so hard at moving with and without the ball and uses her movent to get the ball to her teammates. Maybe its that she's just better at it than they are and we're noticing that they haven't registered that she's open in the same timeframe that she plays?

Reaction Score
Overall this team is not a very good instinctive passing team compared to previous teams. It seems like most of the players have to think about the pass before making the pass and the defense adjusts and that pass is not there anymore. You see it all the time.

Reaction Score
I see it same as you Magic Hands.
Pass the Ball Please!
Tomorrow hopefully that will happen!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ve stated before that this is not a great UConn passing team. Beyond that, the argument that Anna is somehow being ignored by her teammates, for some dubious reason, is complete B.S. I suggest to anyone who believes that, go back and watch the game films closely.

What you will see is a lot of passes that are not made to open teammates, particularly to Liv, who is working hard in the paint, calling for the ball, and receiving it rarely. Liv had a height advantage vs Hebard and was 4/5 against the Ducks. Get her twice as many shots and maybe you have a much closer game.

Passing from the high post continues to be a big problem for UConn. There is no one on the team with the poise of Gabby or Lou who were both outstanding passers from the high post. The number of passes that UConn has tipped or stolen is bad. Over the last 5-6 games, Kyla has become a turnover machine, frequently throwing passes directly to opponents because the passes are late, bad decisions or both. Megan and Christyn are not particularly good passers.

The really good passers on the team are Crystal and Anna, and even they make some questionable decisions with the ball. There is one real positive when it comes to passing. Liv is becoming a very solid passer out of the post. In only 23 minutes, she lead UConn with 6 assists vs Oregon.

Reaction Score

While I agree that Anna needs to get the ball more, two thoughts:
-Could be as simple as the two upperclassman, MW and CD, thinking they need to show leadership as well as look for each other.
-Offense this year looks different than in past years. In Geno's motion offense, normally the players are moving in a way that the player and the ball arrive at the same time. This year it seems the player with the ball has to wait until someone gets open. Could be as simple as some of the players are just ok at passing or the offensive scheme not aligned with this year's talent.

Reaction Score
Passing from the high post continues to be a big problem for UConn. There is no one on the team with the poise of Gabby or Lou who were both outstanding passers from the high post. The number of passes that UConn has tipped or stolen is bad. Over the last 5-6 games, Kyla has become a turnover machine, frequently throwing passes directly to opponents because the passes are late, bad decisions or both. Megan and Christyn are not particularly good passers.

The really good passers on the team are Crystal and Megan, and even they make some questionable decisions with the ball. There is one real positive when it comes to passing. Liv is becoming a very solid passer out of the post. In only 23 minutes, she lead UConn with 6 assists vs Oregon.

One of these Megan must be Anna in disguise :)

Reaction Score
I think there is some truth in that the upper class women feel a responsibility to score and look upon Anna as the means of getting the ball, probably because that was the job she accepted early in season when she led team in assists. Now they are having to adjust to the idea that Anna is no longer the last option but perhaps frequently the first. Habits are hard to break. Just ask the people paying $60 for a carton of cigarettes.

Reaction Score
regarding passing the ball to Anna................we all know that psychologically the player with the ball has to have confidence that where they pass it something good will happen................the more consistently she makes her shots the more often she'll get the ball...........

Reaction Score
I’ve stated before that this is not a great UConn passing team. Beyond that, the argument that Anna is somehow being ignored by her teammates, for some dubious reason, is complete B.S. I suggest to anyone who believes that, go back and watch the game films closely.

What you will see is a lot of passes that are not made to open teammates, particularly to Liv, who is working hard in the paint, calling for the ball, and receiving it rarely. Liv had a height advantage vs Hebard and was 4/5 against the Ducks. Get her twice as many shots and maybe you have a much closer game.

The really good passers on the team are Crystal and Anna, and even they make some questionable decisions with the ball. There is one real positive when it comes to passing. Liv is becoming a very solid passer out of the post. In only 23 minutes, she lead UConn with 6 assists vs Oregon.
The ideal play on the high low is a taller person delivering the ball to an open person. It could be a cutting guard, a good guard who works the block well or another post player. Not to be critical but I find Kylas telegraphs her passes and against good quick defensive teams they have been jumping the passing lanes on her. She is tall enough to deliver the ball into Liv. She has to ball fake. Oregon's Moore was even jumping the weave. They have to back door with good Jabsteps. I am sure the coaching staff has seen this and will help them get better with that. The game is a process of learning. Oregon is more experienced than us right now. We will get better. I have confidence that come tournament time this team has the capability to win it all. If the shots are falling we got a chance.

Reaction Score
They're not moving, so no one is there to pass the ball to. Their motion offense isn't. (I keep yelling at the television, "move, move, move!" It hasn't worked well. Must come up with a new strategy.)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
regarding passing the ball to Anna................we all know that psychologically the player with the ball has to have confidence that where they pass it something good will happen................the more consistently she makes her shots the more often she'll get the ball...........
Nice observation. To my earlier post, Liv is in something of the same position when she fights for position in the low post and calls for the ball. Against Baylor, a pass to Liv was no better than jacking up a contested 3. But vs Oregon, Liv’s 4/5 & 6 assists was excellent and perhaps a message to her teammates to get her the ball more often.

One additional point relative to getting the ball into the low post. In each of UConn’s previous 3 seasons, you could absolutely count on the fact that the fist time the Huskies ran their half-court offense, the ball would invariably find Pheesa in the low post.

Pheesa could catch every pass, good or bad, and her broad repertoire of low post moves and ability to finish at the rim made her the #1 option in the half court. Once Pheesa established her offense, UConn’s shooters were the beneficiaries with wide open looks from the perimeter.

I doubt that Liv will ever get to Pheesa’s level, but I do believe she is capable of shooting at 50-60% in the post. I would like to see UConn work harder to start games getting the ball to Liv and then letting the game plan evolve from there.

Reaction Score
What Tony C and OldDude said!!!! One of the many main problems. They could also make their layups and foul shots more consistently, have less turnovers, forced and unforced, play smart instead of stupid, and do much better at both offensive and defensive rebounding.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Nice observation. To my earlier post, Liv is in something of the same position when she fights for position in the low post and calls for the ball. Against Baylor, a pass to Liv was no better than jacking up a contested 3. But vs Oregon, Liv’s 4/5 & 6 assists was excellent and perhaps a message to her teammates to get her the ball more often.

One additional point relative to getting the ball into the low post. In each of UConn’s previous 3 seasons, you could absolutely count on the fact that the fist time the Huskies ran their half-court offense, the ball would invariably find Pheesa in the low post.

Pheesa could catch every pass, good or bad, and her broad repertoire of low post moves and ability to finish at the rim made her the #1 option in the half court. Once Pheesa established her offense, UConn’s shooters were the beneficiaries with wide open looks from the perimeter.

I doubt that Liv will ever get to Pheesa’s level, but I do believe she is capable of shooting at 50-60% in the post. I would like to see UConn work harder to start games getting the ball to Liv and then letting the game plan evolve from there.

For what it's worth, this is basically what Oregon tries to do with Hebard at the beginning of every game, with the second option being an open 3 for Boley.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For what it's worth, this is basically what Oregon tries to do with Hebard at the beginning of every game, with the second option being an open 3 for Boley.
When you cut away all the fluff basketball can be an amazingly simple game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
While I agree that Anna needs to get the ball more, two thoughts:
-Could be as simple as the two upperclassman, MW and CD, thinking they need to show leadership as well as look for each other.
-Offense this year looks different than in past years. In Geno's motion offense, normally the players are moving in a way that the player and the ball arrive at the same time. This year it seems the player with the ball has to wait until someone gets open. Could be as simple as some of the players are just ok at passing or the offensive scheme not aligned with this year's talent.

Perhaps the team should look at their last game again to see how it's done. Oregon had no problem passing the ball to open and cutting teammates for easy uncontested lay ups and bunnies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

A starting point for Liv to work on her game this off season (including dedicated workouts in the weight room). At 6-5, there's no earthly reason Liv should not be able to shoot at least 65% in the paint against any team or anyone.

Reaction Score
I have to chuckle that a few posters think they are Correct ALL the time. Get a life this forum
is for all to express our opinions no matter what. We need to be respectful as most are.
So these few posters and you know who you are quit arguing the point and accept all opionions/observations/suggestions! We love
UCONN and yes please accept you are not correct all the time! Here’s to a fun game tomorrow filled with LOTS of passing, cutting
and movement! Let’s go Huskies!

Reaction Score
When the opponent plays a zone defense and the shots are not falling for the Huskies, you know it is going to be an ugly game, not the Uconn beauty of the past.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom