Pasqualoni said one thing does another. | The Boneyard

Pasqualoni said one thing does another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He said competition and production would decide positions.

QB, if giving one guy 90% of the snaps is a fair competition, it redefines fair.

RB, McCombs gets virtually every snap with two healthy backs getting very little and Shoemate in the twilight zone.

Wilburn, I have no problem with him starting, but when he clearly was not up to the job, he still got all the snaps.

If P. would listen to his own words, we would have had a much better season. It's not like we're doing so well, it's impossible to tamper.

Reaction Score

QB, if giving one guy 90% of the snaps is a fair competition, it redefines fair.

RB, McCombs gets virtually every snap with two healthy backs getting very little and Shoemate in the twilight zone.

Wilburn, I have no problem with him starting, but when he clearly was not up to the job, he still got all the snaps.

If P. would listen to his own words, we would have had a much better season. It's not like we're doing so well, it's impossible to tamper.

No one can say if we would have had a "much better season", that is purely speculative.
And as much as I'd rather have JJL getting more carries, and Nebrich have had a few quarters under his belt, etc, etc, it is time that we stop worrying about what may have been and start focusing on what the reality of the situation is. Everything else is 100% speculation.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Are you still complaining about McEntee? He isn't great by any means, but he is flirting with mediocre, which is light years of where UConn has been since the Motor City Bowl in 2004 with the exception of about half of Endres' starts. Do we still need to do rotating QB's?

McCombs is a little strange because he has a lot to learn and he doesn't even run at 100% every down. He clearly needs a breather.

Reaction Score

I just don't understand why you don't think it's fair to be making assumptions about productivity, and allowing the competition, in practice. We have in the 60s of players not redshirting this year and healthy. Maybe 40 to 60% of them play from scrimmage? Is he being unfair to the backup LBs? The back up OL? Do you really think it's fair to blame the coach for taking into account things we don't see during games?

Reaction Score
You just like to stir up trouble.

So far the guys that Coach P has put in the game, the majority have shown consistent improvement and the ofefnse clearly has gotten better. The challenge for the offense now, is to both maintain and continue to improve. In the beginning, there was nothing to do but improve.

As for a certain senior cornerback, everything that Coach P has done with personnel so far, tells me that they're working clearly with the intention of putting players on the field that give the best chance of success, and coach P has clearly said before, that given all things essentially equal, he's going with the older players over the youngers, and he's been consisistent in that.

So - what you should be concerned with, is the fact that on defense right now, we're going with the best we've got, and age trumps youth when things are equal.

That should be quite bothersome, as a fan of the program, and actually pretty telling as to why we've gone after so many big and fast DB's in recruiting so far this year.

Reaction Score
P has made it very clear that Nebrich has not performed in practice. Nebrich has said it as well. I can olny assume the same is true of the backs. That's why they practice. P never said it was production "In Games" Can you name me a team that lets game production determine starters? Even when a guy comes off the bench and plays well in a game you always here how he got the opportunity because he had a great week of practice.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Last two games JMac has 6 TDs and 0 INTs... not saying the kid is Tom Brady, but that's pretty good. I was in favor of starting Nebrich in Buffalo, but McEntee has stepped up and started to show improvement. I'm glad.

Reaction Score
P has made it very clear that Nebrich has not performed in practice. Nebrich has said it as well. I can olny assume the same is true of the backs. That's why they practice. P never said it was production "In Games" Can you name me a team that lets game production determine starters? Even when a guy comes off the bench and plays well in a game you always here how he got the opportunity because he had a great week of practice.

The problem here is that regardless of what coaches say, there is always the case of players like... Johnny McEntee. By all accounts(former players, spring games, open practices), for the last couple years there have been whispers that he WAS outperforming Frazer/Endres in practice. A great example are the spring games that we have all been to.

Another case is JJL. We all watched him tear it up at open practices, and the players talk about what a beast JJL is to tackle. So why not give him 5, 10 carries and see what happens? Frustrating...

Now, this is a different coaching staff, but they are not infallible. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and coaches do dumb stuff all the time.

Also, lets keep in mind that we know that certain players raise their performance for games, and some drop performances, for whatever reason.

That's what makes football so interesting, all of the potential, and all of the regret.

Reaction Score

i don't see how his actions are any different from what he said. apparently McCombs and McEntee won out. i'd like to see other RBs get more carries, but he said whoever was most productive would get the reps and they are. how is this inconsistant with what he said?

Reaction Score

You don't think its possible that McEntee won the quarterback competition? I mean he did throw for 300 yards and 4 touchdowns. Oh yeah, you're the one who said that Nebrich would have been the starter last year.
It was pretty clear coming into the season that McCombs and Shoemate were #1 and 1A at running back. #1 gets hurt. Are you surprized that 1A took over? Not sure that Shoemate is in limbo as you say. He had a bad ankle, then followed it up with a serious shoulder injury so they are hoping to medical redshirt him. For a guy who has run for over 100 yards in 3 of 5 games, I'm not sure I completely get all the criticism McCombs seems to get. His biggest problem seems to be that he's not Jordan Todman or Donald Brown.

I'll grant you that Wilburn got beat pretty badly Saturday and I would have gone with a sub and at least tried to stop the bleeding. I'm not sure why that didn't happen. The other two points are pretty nonsensical.

Reaction Score
not sure I completely get all the criticism McCombs seems to get. His biggest problem seems to be that he's not Jordan Todman or Donald Brown.

That is exactly the point. He has been o.k. for a team that has other issues on offense. The last three years, however, we have fielded an All American TB, a pair of second team all-league guys and the league's offensive MVP. McCombs takes some getting used to after that. He is not great. He may be very, very good by the time his career is over. He almost certainly will gain more yards as a frosh than any of Brown, Dixon or Todman.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure you can ask for a whole lot more from a freshman running back than we've gotten from McCombs. He really wasn't expected to have to carry the load as he has, but he has been at least ok. I don't know anyone who figured he would be in the position he's been in, and I'm not sure there are too many guys we've had who would have done as well as freshman. None have really been asked to do it.

I guess I am curious though as to what palatine has seen that leads him to think Jean-Louis or Nebrich have beaten out mcCombs or McEntee...

Reaction Score
If Nebrich was practicing so poorly, why was he listed as OR on the depth chart for four games? That makes zero sense.

There was no QB competition. Production was thrown out the window. One guy was handed the job.

Mac did much better against WVU but he had a very clean pocket for most of the game. He had plenty of time to set up and throw. If P had given Nebrich virtually four full games to learn the system, no telling where he would be. And we'll never know, but I have hunch.

Reaction Score
If Nebrich was practicing so poorly, why was he listed as OR on the depth chart for four games? That makes zero sense.

There was no QB competition. Production was thrown out the window. One guy was handed the job.

Mac did much better against WVU but he had a very clean pocket for most of the game. He had plenty of time to set up and throw. If P had given Nebrich virtually four full games to learn the system, no telling where he would be. And we'll never know, but I have hunch.

Your mouth to god's ear. Unless, of course, you meant WMU and not WVU.

Reaction Score
Oh, why didn't you say that...did you email Pasqualini? I'm sure if he knew you had a hunch he'd have totally revamped his thinking! What did Nebrich do in his opportunities? did he put together a drive? Throw any touchdown passes? Set any up? No. He did none of that. Ha dhe come in and taken control in any of the 4 games he played, maybe he stays in for a few more series or maybe he stays for keeps. But he never did. Now it certainly looks like Mac has taken over the job for keeps.

Reaction Score
Nebrich is in a great place to learn, more as a person, than as a player right now. He's got the choice right now. It's continue to work harder than ever, or pack it in. I hope the kid puts his nose down and keeps going harder than ever, because there's never a moment right now, when he's more than one play away, but going through what he did, coming here, and competiting for the starting job at a position like QB - is tough. Another kid already transferred out because of the pressure and decision making around it.

He's got to continue just as hard, because he's never more than 1 play away.

Reaction Score
You are making assumptions on what you see for 3 hours on Satruday versus what the coaches see for an additional 20 hours a week. They breakdown practice tape just as much as game tape and there is obvioulsy something Mac is doing better than Nebrich during practice or maybe something that simply is not clicking for Nebrich during practice. PP seemed pretty confident in naming Mac the outright starter and it can only be assumed that practice determined this because neither had much success during games prior to WMU. If Nebrich came in and had a strong showing during the game then I am sure he would get a better shot. He didn't and now with Mac having a solid performance he is the man. A lot of people break down games and assume if somebody is not performing then we have capable backups. The truth is that many of the back ups may not have earned the coaching staffs trust yet based on poor practices, poor work ethics, poor attitudes, etc. We will not know because we are not inside the locker room.

Reaction Score
For a school that has had Terry Caulley, Cornell Brockington, Donald Brown, Andre Dixon, Jordan Todman, man the RB position in succession, the recruitment of RBs leaves a LOT to be desired. And this is not a knock on McCombs who I believe will improve greatly in the future and be at least as good as Dixon and Brockington if not better. But wow--UConn runs the ball, and we have very little to show for it with a stable of backs.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I don't understand as you stated why isn't JJL getting a few more carries as we know McCombs wears down as the game goes on. He needs a few less carries. I mean they burned Foxx redshirt as well. So why not use him at least some.

The problem here is that regardless of what coaches say, there is always the case of players like... Johnny McEntee. By all accounts(former players, spring games, open practices), for the last couple years there have been whispers that he WAS outperforming Frazer/Endres in practice. A great example are the spring games that we have all been to.

Another case is JJL. We all watched him tear it up at open practices, and the players talk about what a beast JJL is to tackle. So why not give him 5, 10 carries and see what happens? Frustrating...

Now, this is a different coaching staff, but they are not infallible. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and coaches do dumb stuff all the time.

Also, lets keep in mind that we know that certain players raise their performance for games, and some drop performances, for whatever reason.

That's what makes football so interesting, all of the potential, and all of the regret.

Reaction Score
For a school that has had Terry Caulley, Cornell Brockington, Donald Brown, Andre Dixon, Jordan Todman, man the RB position in succession, the recruitment of RBs leaves a LOT to be desired. And this is not a knock on McCombs who I believe will improve greatly in the future and be at least as good as Dixon and Brockington if not better. But wow--UConn runs the ball, and we have very little to show for it with a stable of backs.
Weren't we due for a step back at some point?

We have hit so many homeruns with our RB recruiting, that IMO, we were due for a year or two of "average" production.

Reaction Score

Wait -- you can't understand how other than recruiting Caulley, Brockington, Brown, Dixon, Todman, Matt Lawrence (who did make the NFL but couldn't crack our rotation), and maybe even Robbie Frey and Bellamy, we weren't able to recruit TBs?

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you like the play?

We were caught short this year. But we were caught short in part because Todman, Frey and Wylie all left with eligibility remaining. Had any of the three of them come back this year, we wouldn't be having this conversation now, McCombs would have had another year to get ready before being "the guy" and any of Dobbs, Foxx, Delorenzo or Lee might have been contributing fine as a back up. Stuff happens.

Reaction Score
I think you guys all pay too much attention to lack of INT's, and not enough attention to "balls that should have been INTs". With that being said...

I have no doubt Johnny has been the best QB in practice. PP just has no reason to play an inferior player who is also older. Can't think of a single reason he'd do that.

I think all of us who want Nebrich need to take a different stance, though. It's not that he isn't getting a fair shot. We want him to start because in a REBUILDING year, we want to, you know, BUILD for the future. I can totally deal with going 2-10 (which I think is about 1 game less than MC might get us to) if it means witnessing our QB of the next three years growing up.

Sorry, but I'm not willing to continue the "wait til next year" game with Casey Cochran. He isn't going to be an automatic answer just like Nebrich wasn't. But we need to DEVELOP the guy we have.

Reaction Score
I think you guys all pay too much attention to lack of INT's, and not enough attention to "balls that should have been INTs". With that being said...

I have no doubt Johnny has been the best QB in practice. PP just has no reason to play an inferior player who is also older. Can't think of a single reason he'd do that.

I think all of us who want Nebrich need to take a different stance, though. It's not that he isn't getting a fair shot. We want him to start because in a REBUILDING year, we want to, you know, BUILD for the future. I can totally deal with going 2-10 (which I think is about 1 game less than MC might get us to) if it means witnessing our QB of the next three years growing up.

Sorry, but I'm not willing to continue the "wait til next year" game with Casey Cochran. He isn't going to be an automatic answer just like Nebrich wasn't. But we need to DEVELOP the guy we have.

We're not going 3-9. Don't you listen to Waylon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom