Paschal Chukwu has committed to Providence | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Paschal Chukwu has committed to Providence

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
CA- I normally agree with you, but this one I gotta disagree. PC hates UConn and UConn hates PC.

I don't hate PC. I couldn't care less about PC. even less now that were in different conferences. I'm honestly shocked any Uconn fan sees it as a rivalry.

Reaction Score
CA- I normally agree with you, but this one I gotta disagree. PC hates UConn and UConn hates PC. Basketball games are played to the final minutes, and they're within 1 hour from each other. But at the end of the day, I considered it a "fun" rivalry because we're obviously on a whole different level with our program. Syracuse, Georgetown, Pitt, (duke in th NCAA), and Louisville were all more battle type of rivalries IMO
I don't hate Providence at all, I actually like them. Some of their fans are annoying with the hatred of UConn but I root for them when they aren't playing us. I'm a crazy UConn fan but I'm also a fan of New England basketball, Providence was really good a very long time ago and have been pretty terrible since their elite 8 team with Garces, Croshere, Shammgod. I wish them well, Cooley has made them relevant after a long time of sucking.

caw

Reaction Score
I don't hate PC. Icould care less about PC. even less now that were in different conferences. I'm honestly shocked any Uconn fan sees it as a rivalry.

You might think older fans might to some extent. I'm not sure there was ever a great rivalry with any team for UConn. Not that UConn was always great but there is nothing like UK for UL or Duke for UNC or Georgetown for Cuse.

When we were in the same conference BC, and SJU came before PC but none had the same intensity the above mentioned rivalries have because when UConn came into its own those programs have mostly been unworthy.

Cuse, UL and Georgetown all had intense battles but those schools all had someone else they hated more. Pitt would have worked but Didn't for some reason. Rutgers has some football rivalry but isn't noteworthy for basketball, SHU was dead in the water. The rest were too far away to have any great rivalry.

If Cooley proves to be a good coach on top of being a good recruiter its a shame it didnt happen while UConn and PC could develop into a true rivalry in the same conference. Maybe if he proves they are worthy of a home and home than something will happen down the road. Until then they are UMass or BC with perhaps a brighter future.

We view PC as they view URI.

Reaction Score
paschal ‏ @ raphaelpchill 1m
After much thought I've decided to pursue my dream as a Frier and play under coach big Ed Cooley # GoFrier

Really?

You'd think the kid would learn the name of their mascot at the least, right?

Reaction Score
#go
7062d1211029579-deep-frier-outdoor-kitchen-frier-plan.jpg

Reaction Score
I don't hate PC. Icould care less about PC. even less now that were in different conferences. I'm honestly shocked any Uconn fan sees it as a rivalry.

It's a rivalry because of the number of Boneyard posts over the years about PC. I don't see the number of threads discussing GT, BC, UMASS, SJU or any other past/present UCONN opponent coming close to PC threads.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
It's a rivalry because of the number of Boneyard posts over the years about PC. I don't see the number of threads discussing GT, BC, UMASS, SJU or any other past/present UCONN opponent coming close to PC threads.
2 or 3 PC fans are obsessed with UCONN and incessantly post on the boneyard. 5 or so boneyard posters can't help themselves and feel a need to respond to these trolls. That makes about 7 or 8 people that see it as a rivalry

Reaction Score
2 or 3 PC fans are obsessed with UCONN and incessantly post on the boneyard. 5 or so boneyard posters can't help themselves and feel a need to respond to these trolls. That makes about 7 or 8 people that see it as a rivalry

I got a kick out of the comments on the PC board with a NC State fan that the hatred between UCONN & PC is similar to UNC/NCS. Maybe for the handfull of PC fans on their board it is.

Reaction Score
While I really really do not like PC, one has to admit that they have really turned the corner recruting wise and are now targeting AND GETTING a much better quality player. This will undoubtably result in success on the floor. BC is still a doormat but PC is potentially on the verge of something big. PCAHC Andre LaFleur is definately a huge contributor here and his unhappiness with UCONN is defintaltely fueling him. He wants to show that he should have been given a shot at the UCHC position.

We have gone head to head against PC for Dunn (to some extent), Austin, Chuckwu and have lost on all of them. The same might be said for Abu (hopefully he makes the wise choice and goes to UCONN but its not looking good). There's definately soemthing going on here and I dont like the look of it.

Reaction Score
I never felt like LaFleur was all that successful on the recruiting trail, and he got charged with disorderly conduct or something for pulling some sort of "don't you know who I am" crap and getting in a fight with another parent at his kid's rec league sign-up (or something like that). Right at a time when we had more than enough negative publicity, too. I don't think he was HC material.

Reaction Score
While I really really do not like PC, one has to admit that they have really turned the corner recruting wise and are now targeting AND GETTING a much better quality player. This will undoubtably result in success on the floor. BC is still a doormat but PC is potentially on the verge of something big. PCAHC Andre LaFleur is definately a huge contributor here and his unhappiness with UCONN is defintaltely fueling him. He wants to show that he should have been given a shot at the UCHC position.

We have gone head to head against PC for Dunn (to some extent), Austin, Chuckwu and have lost on all of them. The same might be said for Abu (hopefully he makes the wise choice and goes to UCONN but its not looking good). There's definately soemthing going on here and I dont like the look of it.

With all the talk of PC's recruiting success of late you never hear any mention of LaFleur so I'm not really sure how much of a factor he has in this, seems to be much more about Cooley. Once LaFleur was elevated on the staff after Moore left UConn's recruiting went down.

Reaction Score
This is a very nice get for Cooley. The guy can flat out recruit, whether people on here want to admit that or not.

The real question is whether or not he can coach...

Reaction Score
This is a very nice get for Cooley. The guy can flat out recruit, whether people on here want to admit that or not.

The real question is whether or not he can coach...

Agree and Agree. I will say however that what he did with last year's squad was pretty impressive. He had like 6 kids for the first 8 or 9 games. Literally. The team was hobbled the entire first half the season and never got a minute from Ledo. He took them to .500 in BE and they went to quarterfinals of NIT. Not bad from where they were. But I do agree it's high time they win a game or two at the BET and get themselves back into the NCAAs. The expectations are going to rise especially now that's he's consistently hauling in 4 stars after years of the previous coaches mostly getting 2 and 3 stars in the program. He's brought in 5 4 star top 75s in the last 3 classes and he's not done with the 2014 class yet. Still has 3 scholarships.

Reaction Score
We went head to head for kris Dunn? Maybe his shoulder bothered him but his numbers are underwhelming

Reaction Score
Agree and Agree. I will say however that what he did with last year's squad was pretty impressive. He had like 6 kids for the first 8 or 9 games. Literally. The team was hobbled the entire first half the season and never got a minute from Ledo. He took them to .500 in BE and they went to quarterfinals of NIT. Not bad from where they were. But I do agree it's high time they win a game or two at the BET and get themselves back into the NCAAs. The expectations are going to rise especially now that's he's consistently hauling in 4 stars after years of the previous coaches mostly getting 2 and 3 stars in the program. He's brought in 5 4 star top 75s in the last 3 classes and he's not done with the 2014 class yet. Still has 3 scholarships.
Yup. I was especially impressed with how strongly PC finished the season, even after they had fallen out of (realistic) NCAA tourney contention.

With that said, I've been largely unimpressed with Cooley's teams defensively. While they should be able to outs core plenty of teams in the Catholic conference, they ain't beating the Georgetowns, Butlers, Marquettes and VCUs unless the D gets a lot better.

Reaction Score

The gripe when LaFleur was here was that he couldn't recruit. I'd give Cooley much more credit.

As for success on the floor, I was not very impressed with what I saw of PC last year in terms of fight and Xs and Os. There was also a lot of talent on that team, and though they might not have been as highly ranked, kids like Henton, Council and Cotton were bonafide high major forces.

Reaction Score

I don't remember many PC threads ever before. They started chirping recently. Don't make it out to be what it isn't. When St J. was a rival, the Boneyard had about 10x more posts than you see now. We had some doozies on here. Some guy from Danbury. Even Maryland was a constant occupation with JaCkSoN. You're right about BC and GT. But the Cuse, Pitt, SJ stuff outdid anything we've seen these past couple of months from (let's face it) 2 Friar fans.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I told you the "whispers" and "word on the street" were PC to PC this week right? Abu isn't going to Florida, not sure where the so called experts get that. I'll eat my shoe if that comes true.

247sports has PC 10th best ranked class for 2014so far. (link keeps 'removing 247sp0rts.com' from beginning)

http://www. /Season/2014-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

you can't post links to 247 here

Reaction Score
Yup. I was especially impressed with how strongly PC finished the season, even after they had fallen out of (realistic) NCAA tourney contention.

With that said, I've been largely unimpressed with Cooley's teams defensively. While they should be able to outs core plenty of teams in the Catholic conference, they ain't beating the Georgetowns, Butlers, Marquettes and VCUs unless the D gets a lot better.

I had the exact opposite reaction. They finished the season with no fight at all.

Reaction Score
It seems that our #1 recruiting priority has been ABA for a while now. I know many here would have liked the staff to prioritize PC but for whatever reason (which I am sure are good) they did not. If you look at the other guys the staff has pushed for visits (White, Robinson, Larrier), PC was likely a lower priority than any of them. My point is that PC was someone we offered, but never prioritized. That is enough for me not to get to upset about losing out on him. Now if we struggle to land some of the other guys that the staff has placed as a priority, then I will be more concerned. We should have a good sense of that over the next month or so. Let's hope we can land a few of them and trust the staff will get the most out if them when they arrive on campus.

Reaction Score
It seems that our #1 recruiting priority has been ABA for a while now. I know many here would have liked the staff to prioritize PC but for whatever reason (which I am sure are good) they did not. If you look at the other guys the staff has pushed for visits (White, Robinson, Larrier), PC was likely a lower priority than any of them. My point is that PC was someone we offered, but never prioritized. That is enough for me not to get to upset about losing out on him. Now if we struggle to land some of the other guys that the staff has placed as a priority, then I will be more concerned. We should have a good sense of that over the next month or so. Let's hope we can land a few of them and trust the staff will get the most out if them when they arrive on campus.

The thing with recruiting players who are similar is that you only need one. With Hamilton and Purvis playing in 2014, they need a PF and PG. It could be a stretch PF, but they need one. If they lose on Larrier and Abu and Robinson and McGlaughlin and Chukwu, but land Snider and White, no one will even remember all this.

We'll enter 2014 with 5 new kids on the team (Purvis, Hamilton, White, Snider and Facey (?)). And that's the only thing that will matter. UConn is recruiting 4 kids who are all super athletic (Larrier, Abu, Robinson, White). It has to land just one of them.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The thing with recruiting players who are similar is that you only need one. With Hamilton and Purvis playing in 2014, they need a PF and PG. It could be a stretch PF, but they need one. If they lose on Larrier and Abu and Robinson and McGlaughlin and Chukwu, but land Snider and White, no one will even remember all this.

We'll enter 2014 with 5 new kids on the team (Purvis, Hamilton, White, Snider and Facey (?)). And that's the only thing that will matter. UConn is recruiting 4 kids who are all super athletic (Larrier, Abu, Robinson, White). It has to land just one of them.

i'm not sure but i thought white was not that athletic, i thought people here said he was a very good basketball player. just not as athletic as a abu, or larrier.

Reaction Score

I like your perspective on all this. If we whiff on one kid, it's not a big deal. If we whiff on a few in a row, it might feel like there's negative recruiting "momentum", but realistically doesn't impact the chances of getting one of our other targets.

However if we whiff on all of them, it's alarming for both the present (our team won't be as good) and the future (calls into question KO's supposedly excellent recruiting abilities).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom