Parker off Olympic team? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Parker off Olympic team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is a real shocker. Candace figured to be one of the shoo-ins.

But do people really not understand that it's the selection committee that selects the players, not the coach?

The committee does its true.
But not clear how much input the coach gets. I would guess the coach does at least give comments to the committee.

Reaction Score
This is a real shocker. Candace figured to be one of the shoo-ins.

But do people really not understand that it's the selection committee that selects the players, not the coach?

But not clear how much input the coach gets. I would guess the coach does at least give comments to the committee.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Sorry, I would take Parker over Stewart. I would also take Diggins, Sims or another younger guard over Lindsey Whalen. There should be more youth for the role players. I consider Parker a Starter and not a role player.

I absolutely agree
A very old team
Need at least a young combo guard
And Parker was playing sensationally at the end of last season

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Make no sense on the face of it. Two thoughts:
1) Look for an MVP season from CP3.
2) Stewie better be ready for school against LA.

Reaction Score
Too lazy right now to go back through the old Geno shows on SNY the past couple of months, but the question was put to him about Stewie, and he was cagey. But when asked who makes the roster decisions, he smiled that smile of his. No one gets on without his say so. Which implies that no one is taken off without the same. Doesn't mean he has complete control, but who knows basketball better than he?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm stunned. I love Stewart and if there were another young player on the team I could see what the committee was trying to do, but there is no other young player that they seem to be trying to groom for the future. Parker is one of the best players in the world and can't make the US team?

Maybe she can play for Denmark because something is rotten there.

Reaction Score
Stewie deserves to be there; Angel does not. Her on court demeanor can be disturbing and she appears not to be a great teammate. Parker ten times over Angel, any day!!!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Do they name alternates to the Olympic team, in case one of the 12 gets injured?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
That's a pretty darn good team.
Hard to see who could've been left off.

That's the team I expected, plus McCoughtry and minus Parker. But the team does have plenty of 4s (Stewart, Delle Donne, Charles), so this makes sense. Parker is better than Stewart now, but I always thought they would make room for Stewart somehow.

It's not the team *I* wanted, but I've made my peace with the fact that it's a club and that the people that are in get to stay in, by and large.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Do they name alternates to the Olympic team, in case one of the 12 gets injured?

I have a feeling that Parker would tell them to shove it at this point. I see no way that she would accept an invitation as an alternate. It will be interesting to see what happens if EDD has a relapse of Lyme Disease and cannot play, or if any of the other forwards have an injury.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm stunned. I love Stewart and if there were another young player on the team I could see what the committee was trying to do, but there is no other young player that they seem to be trying to groom for the future. Parker is one of the best players in the world and can't make the US team?

Maybe she can play for Denmark because something is rotten there.

Your position doesn't make sense given what USA BB has done in the past, i.e., putting one very young, recent college graduate on a team of more experienced players. USA BB did that in 2004 with Taurasi who had just graduated from college. USA BB did that in 2008 with Parker who had just graduated from college. USA BB did that with Maya Moore though she was one year out of college. What USA BB is doing with Stewart is exactly what it did with Taurasi, Parker and Moore.

Reaction Score
Whether she is starting or not, every time she suits up for USA Basketball she leads in multiple categories. She delivers at an elite level. One of the 3 best players on the planet with plenty of familiarity playing with other veterans, especially Diana. I don't get it. She missed the Feb. training camp while she played in China. Sylvia and Tina missed too. Geno said Candace and Maya were at another level at the previous camp. So, no, I don't think this was Geno's call.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Your position doesn't make sense given what USA BB has done in the past, i.e., putting one very young, recent college graduate on a team of more experienced players. USA BB did that in 2004 with Taurasi who had just graduated from college. USA BB did that in 2008 with Parker who had just graduated from college. USA BB did that with Maya Moore though she was one year out of college. What USA BB is doing with Stewart is exactly what it did with Taurasi, Parker and Moore.

However, those years a player of Parker's caliber was not left off of the team. Maybe you can tell me which top 5 player in the world was left of the team those other years you cite.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
However, those years a player of Parker's caliber was not left off of the team. Maybe you can tell me which top 5 player in the world was left of the team those other years you cite.

I don't know. You can look it up but it's irrelevant. I responded to your point that there was something unusual in USA BB taking only one very young player when that is something USA BB has done in the past 3 Olympics. Knowing that's how USA BB operates, it's very likely that it wasn't Stewart over Parker but other players taken over Parker.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Whether she is starting or not, every time she suits up for USA Basketball she leads in multiple categories. She delivers at an elite level. One of the 3 best players on the planet with plenty of familiarity playing with other veterans, especially Diana. I don't get it. She missed the Feb. training camp while she played in China. Sylvia and Tina missed too. Geno said Candace and Maya were at another level at the previous camp. So, no, I don't think this was Geno's call.

Based on the personnel decisions from 2012 I am not sure why I am shocked. Seems like some deserving player is destined to be snubbed.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't know. You can look it up but it's irrelevant. I responded to your point that there was something unusual in USA BB taking only one very young player when that is something USA BB has done in the past 3 Olympics. Knowing that's how USA BB operates, it's very likely that it wasn't Stewart over Parker but other players taken over Parker.

No, I said it is unusual for a player of Parker's caliber to be left off to give a younger player a chance. I can see Stewart being on the team but not at the expense of Parker.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Catch is great but I thought she wouldnt be interested.

and Angel will be on this team and the NEXT one as well... she's a great defender and is very familiar with international basketball at the highest level (along with DT and Bird)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Catch is great but I thought she wouldnt be interested.

and Angel will be on this team and the NEXT one as well... she's a great defender and is very familiar with international basketball at the highest level (along with DT and Bird)

Why would Catch not be interested? I think she would have hung up her sneakers already if it weren't for the chance to compete in the Olympics again.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
No, I said it is unusual for a player of Parker's caliber to be left off to give a younger player a chance. I can see Stewart being on the team but not at the expense of Parker.
I agree... she could have wait til 2020 as well but its a good gamble to select her if they're thinking of the future

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Why would Catch not be interested? I think she would have hung up her sneakers already if it weren't for the chance to compete in the Olympics again.
thought her, DT and Bird almost said 2012 just after winning good. I know they played since but 4 yrs ago they were tired. kinda.

is Catch still in the W?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I agree... she could have wait til 2020 as well but its a good gamble to select her if they're thinking of the future

We are going to need a young PG a lot more than a young forward in 2020 since we have so many good forwards to choose from. Who are we grooming to run this team? Apparently nobody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom