Paris Olympics Discussion Thread | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Paris Olympics Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
US 2nd team especially Plum have been awful today
Plum was not good in her minutes; but second team after a ragged end to first quarter started second quarter on 10-0 run. Overall, they outscored Australia 25-11 in second quarter. Wilson is a defensive beast inside.

Reaction Score
Plum was not good in her minutes; but second team after a ragged end to first quarter started second quarter on 10-0 run. Overall, they outscored Australia 25-11 in second quarter. Wilson is a defensive beast inside.
2nd team did better once Ionescu replaced plum

Reaction Score
Out here in the West, NBC didn't bother to join this semifinal until late in the 2nd quarter.

They just had to show the Today show to the end, featuring some forgettable pop singer singing forgettable pop songs.

Reaction Score
Out here in the West, NBC didn't bother to join this semifinal until late in the 2nd quarter.

They just had to show the Today show to the end, featuring some forgettable pop singer singing forgettable pop songs.
Oh man. That's just cruel. Would have thought the Today show would get pre-empted while the Olympics are on.

Reaction Score
Seems to me that the smart thing would be to do the Today show as a live remote FROM the Olympics.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I seem to remember her all-but saying no to the double after her anchor leg in Tokyo. I was still keeping hope alive (heck, I still am), but unless something changes, I think if she does do the flat it will be instead of the hurdles.

Adding three more 400 races to her docket would certainly be challenging.* But did you see her after the finals? She was certainly breathing hard, but she looked like a breath of fresh air compared to the other racers.
But she wouldn't be competing against her fellow hurdlers in the 400 flat. She'd be going against the most elite 400 runners who are fresh. Naser and Paulino are two of the fastest to ever run the race. Pryce of Jamaica failed to make the final in Paris but ran an incredible mid-48 just last month.

I think her decision may come down to whether she wants to challenge the 40-year-old world record in the 400 or go for double gold in flat and hurdles. Either would of course be epic, but I actually think the former is more realistic.

Reaction Score
Holy cow. Poor hand offs by the US was their downfall in the men's 4x100. Wow......Why is this an issue? This seems to happen more often than it should.

It's been almost 30 years since Canada won this relay. While, I'm happy for the athletes, it doesn't seem right that the US didn't medal.

Reaction Score
Holy cow. Poor hand offs by the US was their downfall in the men's 4x100. Wow......Why is this an issue? This seems to happen more often than it should.

It's been almost 30 years since Canada won this relay. While, I'm happy for the athletes, it doesn't seem right that the US didn't medal.

The United States hasn't medaled in the Men's 4x100 Relay since Athens in 2004. While shocking given the talent we have, the handoffs have always been the downfall of the United States in this event.

Reaction Score
The United States hasn't medaled in the Men's 4x100 Relay since Athens in 2004. While shocking given the talent we have, the handoffs have always been the downfall of the United States in this event.
That's what I don't get. How does this continue for 20 years? It's such a critical component to the race.

Reaction Score
Watched the replay a few times because I still can't believe it happened. USA had the lead and were out of it after the first hand-off. You literally see their ranking/position drop off in the graphics almost instantly. Damn. :oops:

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
You'd think they would have done that (practice baton handoffs) by now. :oops:
I'm amazed at how poorly a lot of professionals do very basic skills in their chosen sports. The number of MLB players who simply can't bunt is greater than those who can.

The number of poor baton exchanges is even more baffling to me. For every dropped baton, there are probably two exchanges that lose a couple tenths of a second. With a bunt, they're trying to hit a ball coming at them maybe 85-95 mph with an initially unknown break. The baton exchange is pretty much WYSIWIG. Two ways to do it, on top or down low. Each likely pair should practice good exchanges every day for a week. First day slow, second day half-pace, last three days at 90-100% race speed. If it's beneath anyone, he doesn't run the relay. Do it till you can't get it wrong in Geno's words.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Death, taxes, and botched handoffs in the US men 4x1 -- it's nice to know there are some constants in life.

To be fair it was ONE botch this time and it was Bednarek on 2nd leg taking off about a week too early.

On the positive side, the women's 4x1 overcame 2 shaky handoffs with just enough speed on legs 3 and 4.

And I loved the redemption race from Rai Benjamin, finally vanquishing "the Viking" when it mattered most. Rai is so easy to root for.

Reaction Score
Death, taxes, and botched handoffs in the US men 4x1 -- it's nice to know there are some constants in life.

To be fair it was ONE botch this time and it was Bednarek on 2nd leg taking off about a week too early.

On the positive side, the women's 4x1 overcame 2 shaky handoffs with just enough speed on legs 3 and 4.

And I loved the redemption race from Rai Benjamin, finally vanquishing "the Viking" when it mattered most. Rai is so easy to root for.
Most definitely.

But back to the hand-offs, imagine the times these teams would have if this was cleaned up? It seems like a logical thing to focus on.

A friend of mine mentioned that the US track officials have put their heads in the sand on the issue and that they don't want to challenge the athletes on the matter. Is that a fair statement?

Reaction Score
France and Belgium going to OT.

Like I said yesterday.
Russell Crowe Gladiator GIF

WBBTakeover

Don't get caught sleeping!
Reaction Score
I didn't see anything in the Belgium/France game that should scare Team USA. If they get the ball inside early and often, they should take the crowd out of it and win by 20+. France has some good athletic forwards but not one big who can stay with A'ja or match up with BG.

WBBTakeover

Don't get caught sleeping!
Reaction Score
Sandy Brondello just can't beat A'ja Wilson, Jackie Young, Kelsey Plum, and Chelsea Gray when it counts
Sandy can't coach. She has to have an overwhelming talent advantage or else she gets exposed. If Rena Wakama (Nigeria) was coaching the Australian team, she may have made Cheryl sweat a bit more.

If they lose to Belgium, that should be her last game coaching the Opals.

Reaction Score
Re: the baton thing... I have heard it from TV announcers for years... The main problem isn't that they don't practice. It's that they select the team very late, sometimes even AT the Games, and apparently almost strictly based on times.

So, they obviously don't get the chance to practice ENOUGH.

No idea how true this is, but maybe they should watch the other countries' relay selection processes so they can figure out how to put a solid, well-rehearsed team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom