Parent Cams. | The Boneyard

Parent Cams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Might be just me, but I don't like the overuse of the parent cams. Or maybe I'm just sick of Debbie Phelps. She'll probably just show up in Rio to get her close ups.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
It's important to blame the parents for the attention the media pay them because their children are successful.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
The Raisman clip was a classic.

"Stick it!!"

Reaction Score
Might be just me, but I don't like the overuse of the parent cams. Or maybe I'm just sick of Debbie Phelps. She'll probably just show up in Rio to get her close ups.
You aren't alone, but I suppose it's natural...networks always always want the "personal" story, although they don't seem to explain anything when the parents have a different surname than the athletes.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
At the Softball World Series, a lot of fuss was made over runner-up Oklahoma's star pitcher, Keilani Ricketts, whose sister was a Senior star at Hawai'i, whose older sister was a star, and whose brother is in the military. Constant TV on the family, including Mom, in the OK section.

My wife commented to Mrs. Ricketts (in passing) that she respected how the family was able to tolerate constant cameras in the face. Mrs. Ricketts replied that she spends much of the game trying to find a seat where she is "hidden", especially from the floating camera folks, but with mixed success.

Which answers the OP - no, the family isn't necessarily thrilled to be on "parent cam", but, OTH, it goes with the territory.

Reaction Score
You aren't alone, but I suppose it's natural...networks always always want the "personal" story, although they don't seem to explain anything when the parents have a different surname than the athletes.

It is nobody's business. If one is that interested, there is probably a reference on the internet somewhere.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes, I'm sure the woman lobbied NBC to get as much face time as she could. :rolleyes:

It's an odd comment from a fan that saw 4 years of Nancy Bird close ups after 4 years of Marsha Mann Lake close ups. I don't remember if anyone quizzed Shea's mom on how she had the nerve to use a name different than her daughter's.

Reaction Score
Yup, it's just you.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It's not just you. For the most part, it's not the parents' fault so much as it's NBC pimping the family values line, as if non-American athletes were just immaculately conceived and don't have parents who love and support them.

Debbie Phelps sits front and center and is constantly mugging for the camera. Holding up the three fingers yesterday was incredibly obnoxious. Relatively small price to pay for having Michael Phelps in our lives, especially since his sisters are pretty cute and share the camera time, but it is still annoying.

Reaction Score
I will take the family cams over the overblown sad-sack athlete profiles that have mercifully been abbreviated this Olympics.

I don't mind the tv cameras focusing on Debbie Phelps' race reaction so much. Michael is the star, and is in alot of races and of course NBC is going to play that angle as much as they can. However, what I find odd and annoying is how vocal Debbie Phelps is about wanting Michael to keep swimming so SHE can go to Rio. I loved the report that Michael told her he will PAY her way to Rio if she wants to go, but his plan is this is his final Olympics as a competitor . I think Debbie Phelps has lost track of how old Michael is (here's a hint - he's 27 and all grown up!) has forgotten that HE is the athlete that has to do the training and put in the time to get there. How arrogant that she thinks that in four years Michael will still be able to compete at the highest level and simply assumes he would qualify to get to Rio. He very well may be just as strong and qualify but a lot can happen in four years. Michael has made history and it is the perfect time to retire - he is at the top. How sad it would be for him to go to another Olympics and not be able to perform at the level he and the world has come to expect. That is a human interest story I can't imagine Michael would want to star in.

I have enjoyed most of the other parent cam's, especially Missy Franklin's family. Missy has been a delightful surprise in the games, and as infectious as Gabby Douglas's smile is, the joy that radiates off Missy Franklin is a thing of beauty.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I will take the family cams over the overblown sad-sack athlete profiles that have mercifully been abbreviated this Olympics.
They could have cut the sappy stories about the Magnificent Seven and the overwrought montages of the gymnastics team and shown more events that get shoved onto obscure TV channels, like fencing, kayaking, judo, etc. The female Saudi Arabian judo competitor was a more compelling story than seeing Kerri Strug's one-footed landing for the billionth time.

Reaction Score
They could have cut the sappy stories of the Magnificent Seven and the overwrought montages of the gymnastics team and show more events that get shoved onto obscure TV channels, like fencing, kayaking, judo, etc. The female Saudi Arabian judo competitor was a more compelling story than seeing Kerri Strug's one-footed landing for the billionth time.

And listening to that voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01